Register :: Log in :: Profile   

HUGE Edo era province maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: HUGE Edo era province maps Reply with quote
While looking around for historical photographs of Bakumatsu people, I found this:

http://jpimg.digital.archives.go.jp/kouseisai/category/ezu/kuniezu_genroku_e.html

The maps are so big, at 1% of normal size they are about 600 pixels tall. It's like an edo era google map.

As an aside, does anyone remember the URL to the high quality photographs of Bakumatsu and Meiji era people? I'm hoping to get some images for the wiki, but I can't find the site anymore. I also want to see it because I know there is a photograph listed as Okita Soji, and I don't think one is supposed to exist.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's interesting that the maps are written to be viewed from multiple directions--for instance, each of the cardinal directions are written to be viewed from the middle facing them, as are the bordering province names, rather than everything being written with S at the bottom and N at the top.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Okita Souji and Bakumatsu Pictures Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

As an aside, does anyone remember the URL to the high quality photographs of Bakumatsu and Meiji era people? I'm hoping to get some images for the wiki, but I can't find the site anymore. I also want to see it because I know there is a photograph listed as Okita Soji, and I don't think one is supposed to exist.

Regarding Okita Souji, I thought he refused to have his photo taken. Anyway, I did a google search and this image came up of him-- it isn't a photo, but it is a portrait drawing. Whether it is accurate or not is anyone's guess. http://art-random.main.jp/samescale/020/025-s-okita-2.jpg

Didn't see any pictures of the Shinsengumi boys on this site, but Nagasaki University sure does have a great online collection of Bakumatsu period photos. Here is the link:
http://hikoma.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/category.html

Also try:
http://www.last-samurai.org/
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Okita Souji and Bakumatsu Pictures Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Regarding Okita Souji, I thought he refused to have his photo taken. Anyway, I did a google search and this image came up of him-- it isn't a photo, but it is a portrait drawing. Whether it is accurate or not is anyone's guess. http://art-random.main.jp/samescale/020/025-s-okita-2.jpg

Didn't see any pictures of the Shinsengumi boys on this site, but Nagasaki University sure does have a great online collection of Bakumatsu period photos. Here is the link:
http://hikoma.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/category.html

Also try:
http://www.last-samurai.org/

The "last samurai" site is good, but there is an archive by the Japanese government or maybe a university with very large, high quality photos, and I believe it was there that I found this photo listed as Okita Soji:

At the time, I didn't realize that there weren't supposed to be any pics of him, so I didn't pay much attention or read the description. And now I can't find that site to check.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Okita Souji and Bakumatsu Pictures Reply with quote
Thanks for showing the picture! I was half expecting to see one of those anime pictures that has him looking more like a girl.

If this picture of Okita Souji is the real deal, then this is a gem of a find. Again, I was under the impression that he shunned the camera, but this could have been a story developed to justify why there aren't pictures of him in other books, journals, articles, etc about the "Gumi". After all, he is one of the more popular gifted killers in that band of assassins and info about him is always in demand, so if this is a real picture, I do have to wonder why it hasn't been widely published? BUT that being said, I've only seen English language publications and websites about the Shinsengumi, and when I went to Mibu over the summer, I don't recall seeing a picture of his mug, but maybe I was just too busy taking it all in to look specifically for a picture of Okita.

Also, the guy in this picture looks quite a bit different from the chubby-faced Pillsbury dough-boy image link I sent to you. Hmmmmm...would the real Okita Souji please stand up?

Last edited by Obenjo Kusanosuke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It came from an amazing site with dozens of very large, high quality photographs categorized under things like "political figures", "teachers", "writers", "nobility", etc. I WISH I could find that site again - does anyone know what it might be? It's where I got a lot of the avatar pics, and the above one listed as "Okita Soji".
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know what, I found the site - but I don't think it is where I got the few Shinsengumi pics:

http://www.ndl.go.jp/portrait/e/contents/list.html

For example, Sakamoto Ryoma:
http://www.ndl.go.jp/portrait/1024_1536/427-53/002/0041_l.jpg

But the quality of the photos is amazing. I'll have to look through the photos to see if I made a mistake then.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kitsuno-san, The quality of the photos is absolutely amazing. This is an awesome find!! Although I didn't know that Photoshop existed back in the Bakumatsu, early Meiji periods.

You are definitely right in that the Shinsengumi pics from this site. I quickly looked through the names of the site, and I didn't see any of the usual names associated with the Boyz from Mibu. The search continues...

Michael- if you are reading this thread, can you or any of your friends at Shinsengumi HQ be of assistance in providing pictures as well as helping to solve the mystery of the Okita Soji picture? Thanks!!!
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

I think the big problem is that the drawing is pretty much confirmed to be Okita while the photograph is still highly questionable and thusly left out of many of the more "serious" resources.

平和,

マット
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
kitsuno,

I think the big problem is that the drawing is pretty much confirmed to be Okita while the photograph is still highly questionable and thusly left out of many of the more "serious" resources.

平和,

マット

It would be nice to find the site that tagged this pic as "okita soji" - and where can i find an image of the drawing?
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

This site shows the drawing:

http://kajipon.sakura.ne.jp/haka/h-kengou.htm

ShinsengumiHQ has its own opinions on the drawing and photo:

http://www.shinsengumihq.com/photos.htm

平和,

マット
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

The drawing is also available at the above mentioned site. I quoted the link again as the photo collection is just plain weird. See if you can make some sense of it. I couldn't make heads or tails of it but that is where I found the Okita portrait drawing when googling. There were a couple of old pictures mixed into the fray, but I didn't recognize anybody.

I do suggest using the Shinsengumihq.com link for your picture hunt in case you can't find the other site you were talking about. Matt-thanks for posting this link. I was on the site the other day and couldn't find the photos section. BUT, there is something interesting about the Okita posting on the Shinsengumi site-- it has three images, from left to right-- the drawing, the photo in question and then a colorized touch up of the photo. The text then says, and I quote: Okita Souji (this version colored by Victoria Parker)
First image is believed to be composite fake and the second is possibly the real Okita

So, their opinion is that the composite drawing is fake and the picture might be the real Okita Souji.

This mystery is becoming worthy of a Edogawa Rampo story!
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.shinsengumihq.com/photos.htm

This drawing is seen as Okita Soji often.
He is actually "Okita Kaname" Okita Soji's sister Mitsu's grandchild.
He thought it's better to leave some kind of picture of Soji, then he had a painter to make one with his face.
According to Okita Tetsuya.(Mitsu's greatgrandchild)

The second picture,who?

I have no idea where it came from.
If that is really Soji's photo, it would be a big news in Japan.

Recently, a researcher found Soji's uncle's photo.
http://shougo.blog4.fc2.com/blog-entry-52.html
That's the latest research about how Soji looked like.

Last edited by shikisoku on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

I do suggest using the Shinsengumihq.com link for your picture hunt in case you can't find the other site you were talking about.

The site I thought it came from was the one with all the high quality pics. I browse the ShinsengumiHQ site every now and then when I want something specific, but I'll be damned if it isn't the hardest site for my overtaxed brain to navigate. I can never find what I'm looking for unless I use the "google" search box they have on the site (unless that is the point of having it) - I really wish they'd have a comprehensive page broken down into sections and subsections, just to make it easier to browse. I can find what I want with the google box, but it is nice to be able to browse topics, unless there is a page like that and I just haven't found it. The S-A is basically similar in that it is a random collection of a lot of info, but that's why I was so focused on breaking it down into sections - I doubt most people go to the S-A saying "hmm... I want to look up the famous Samurai Chikuwa Isobe" - they probably just say "cool! a Sammyrai site!" and then start poking around.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kitsuno-san,
AGREE with what you wrote about the difficulties in navigating through the Shinsengumi HQ site. That is why I gave our man, msr.Iaidoka, due props for finding the photo section link on their site. I couldn't even find a photo section on their site.

I put the word out, on this thread, and off-site to a Shinsengumi HQ "snitch" Joker (ha ha) and let's see if he can get the Shinsengumi folks to help reinforce us on this issue. I hope they have a propensity to help as well as a propensity to take constructive criticism in good stride about the difficulty in navigating through their site!
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They likely have a propensity to Harakiri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: