Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Pictures of armor and teppo on display at Himeji Castle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ranger wrote:
Obenjo, I liked those two armor pictures. I tried taking photos of that very armor, but was unsuccessful because I didn’t have the right camera filter to minimize the reflection from the glass.

Hi Ranger, I am glad you like the picture of the suits of armor and I appreciate your advice. Again, I posted these pictures because I wanted to hopefully enrichen the SA Wiki and fourm as well as share them with people who actually may have an interest in these photos. So, I am basically not losing sleep over this copyright issue. I have the basic copyright in place and I don't think I'll do anymore for the moment.

Speaking of the armor picture, I think I got very lucky with my 5 year-old Sony Cybershot. I also have seperate shots for each of the two suits of armor, got they are slightly marred by glass reflection. Distance had a lot to do with my lucky shot. Going in for the close ups was the trouble. If I had a Nikon, Canon, or even one of those new and nifty Sony SLR type of digital cameras, I would be having a field day taking pictures.

Incidentally, I had some great photos of other places in Kyoto and Okinawa (including beautiful pics of Shuri-jo) but I somehow managed to lose these folders when moving stuff from my old PC to a new one! ARGH!!! What is more painful than losing pictures of castles and temples and fish during snorkeling trips is the fact that I lost personally valued photos of my wife and other family members. I guess I'll have to go back to these places with my wife and start taking new photos all over again! That should be fun!
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Incidentally, I had some great photos of other places in Kyoto and Okinawa (including beautiful pics of Shuri-jo) but I somehow managed to lose these folders when moving stuff from my old PC to a new one! ARGH!!! What is more painful than losing pictures of castles and temples and fish during snorkeling trips is the fact that I lost personally valued photos of my wife and other family members. I guess I'll have to go back to these places with my wife and start taking new photos all over again! That should be fun!

I know the feeling. About three years ago, my computer was attacked by a virus and completely wiped out my hard drive and operating system. In an instant, I lost over a year's worth of documents, photos and expensive programs. It felt like I was kicked in the stomach. After that hard learned lesson, I bought an Apple computer and built triple redundancy into all my important files that I update every two weeks. I haven't looked back since.

Last edited by Ranger on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Incidentally, I had some great photos of other places in Kyoto and Okinawa (including beautiful pics of Shuri-jo)

I've been there - an interesting mix of Chinese and Japanese architecture. My pics are photographs in some box somewhere.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have a little habit or hobby of taking pictures of shishi (lion/dragon dogs) all over the place when I go to Okinawa, which is usually once or twice a year. I lost all these, too and I was aspiring to make a little photo album of these little guys! Sad

About Shuri-jo, what struck me was that the castle itself was almost like a spitting miniature image of the main palace within China's Forbidden City. Anyway, the architecture is really interesting. Also, from the eyes of an armchair military strategist, I was very curious about the walls and the defensive works at various gates and checkpoints. I guess the Japanese Imperial Army also felt that the castle's walls were pretty nifty, too and used Shuri-jo as a command and control center and I think even positioned artillery up there because of the commanding view of Naha port. A large portion of the US fleet's typhoon of steel unleashed on Okinawa fell upon the castle and its environs, burning everything to the ground except for one gate, which for years after the war, came to symbolize Okinawa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: