Register :: Log in :: Profile   

currency question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algren-san
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: currency question Reply with quote
This is probably a stupid question and its most likely been asked countless times before, but I am going to ask it anyway. Does anybody know how much various Japanese currencies such as Koku, mon, etc... were worth roughly in terms of modern currencies (dollars or yen). I am most interested in the late Sengoku/early Edo and Late Edo/Bakumatsu period. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: value Reply with quote
Hi Algren-san, I am somewhat familiar with coinage during the late Edo, Bakumatsu priod. The value of money fluctuated with the price of rice. The gold coins during this time became debased and caused many problems for the Bakufu. Rice dealers would project prices of repayment on projected harvests. Like the futures market. You, during a specific year, have to say relative to a specific weight of silver of a particular purity, how many koku of rice could you buy as compared to a similar weight of silver could buy now. Sorry for the bad syntax. I have seen a site where you can enter data and get comparitive value but have misplaced the URL. I have some coins of the period found here; http://www.johnstuart.biz/new_page_12.htm
Not much help. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: