Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Questions for Dennis and Heron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Questions for Dennis and Heron Reply with quote
Ok, the last round of questions were a little tough. So, here are two more questions that are reserved for Dennis and Heron. Nobody else can answer these!
1. Where did the Shinsengumi move after Mibu? What did they do in particular to drive their new hosts up the wall? (Hint: they moved to a very famous temple in Kyoto. So, if they are in a Buddhist temple, what kind of things would drive monks nuts? One had to do with food; the other had to do with noise.)
2. True or False: Hijikata died in Tokyo in 1873 attempting to assassinate Saigo Takamori at his Happo-en yashiki (estate) in the Shinagawa area. (whether you answer true of false, please explain why)
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which one do you want to do, Dennis? (First time I've ever felt like the slow kid in the class Sad ) I can't answer for a day or two (other commitments) so I'll take which ever one you don't.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heron, don't feel slow. The second batch of questions were very tough and were written under the assumption that study group members had access to Hillsborough's Shinsengumi book or other sources. Again, don't feel slow! You and Dennis are both valued members of the study group!

The reason I participate in this forum is to have fun while learning more about samurai history, so please don't get discouraged. I do hope you are getting something out of this study group and managing to have a little fun at the same time! Smile If you want to watch me get embarrassed by a lack of knowledge, look at some of my Shinsengumi exchanges with Shikisoku. His level of knowledge is totally, completely and overwhelmingly amazing! Actually, I am going to try to answer one of his questions now. Wish me luck!!
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, was a busy weekend and I just saw this. Heron, I'll send you a private message.
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't heard from Heron, so I'll take a crack at #2, Kusanosuke.

The answer is False. Hijakata, still suffering from a case of severe death in 1873, was unable to move from wherever it was he was lying.

Source: http://shinsengumi-no-makoto.net/hijikata_toshizo.htm
""On May 11, 1869 [June 20, 1869], the Meiji army began its invasion of Hakodate. Hijikata was unwilling to abandon members of the Shinsengumi who were guarding a fort called Benten Daiba. Instead of remaining at Goryokaku, he made a desperate attempt to get to the other fort and encountered enemy troops. He was killed on horseback by a bullet which struck him in the abdomen and shattered his lower back. He seems to have been dead before any of his men could arrive at his side. It is unknown where Hijikata was buried.""
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dennis,

I have to say that "suffering from a case of severe death" has to be one of the best descriptions I have read in a long time.

平和,

マット
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
Dennis,

I have to say that "suffering from a case of severe death" has to be one of the best descriptions I have read in a long time.

Thank you very much. During my research I discovered that the mortality rate among dead patients is astonishing high. Even a mild form of death is pretty much always fatal.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dennis wrote:
During my research I discovered that the mortality rate among dead patients is astonishing high. Even a mild form of death is pretty much always fatal.

Yeah, you're pretty much dead when you you're dead!

Congratulations! You answered your question correctly. Happy Dance
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Heron, don't feel slow. The second batch of questions were very tough and were written under the assumption that study group members had access to Hillsborough's Shinsengumi book or other sources. Again, don't feel slow! You and Dennis are both valued members of the study group!

The reason I participate in this forum is to have fun while learning more about samurai history, so please don't get discouraged. I do hope you are getting something out of this study group and managing to have a little fun at the same time! Smile If you want to watch me get embarrassed by a lack of knowledge, look at some of my Shinsengumi exchanges with Shikisoku. His level of knowledge is totally, completely and overwhelmingly amazing! Actually, I am going to try to answer one of his questions now. Wish me luck!!

Hehe, thanks, sensei. I didn't feel discouraged, at least no more than usual when studying a) Japanese history and b) Japanese language. Discouragement seems to be a more or less permanent state.

I am enjoying the group very much and learning lots.

I agree, Shikisoku is frankly terrifying.

(*wonders why is there no smiley for irony. Is it true that Americans don't get irony? Surely not*)

Now I'm going try and answer the question.

1. Where did the Shinsengumi move after Mibu?

They moved to the spacious and tranquil temple of Nishihonganji in southwest Kyoto in 1865. The hall they used has since been moved to Hontokuji (if I've read that name correctly) where you can still see the marks in the wood left by their swords. (What were they doing? playing some bushi version of dodgeball?)

What did they do in particular to drive their new hosts up the wall? (Hint: they moved to a very famous temple in Kyoto. So, if they are in a Buddhist temple, what kind of things would drive monks nuts?

The monks were horrified by members committing seppuku in the precinct and by the noise of torture. And by the fact that the shinsengumi ate meat to keep their strength up - the monks of course were vegetarian (Yay!) (though the rumour that the shinsengumi ate their dead is unfounded, I think.)

So distressed were the temple priests that they paid for the shinsengumi's next headquarters, a new and luxurious building in Fudodo to which the group moved in 1867.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heron-dono,
Congratulations!!! Thumbs up Row the boat happy dance

You are pretty much on the mark. I think I would have added one thing: I think the Shinsengumi used to practice firing a cannon or a small howitzer within the temple grounds. The sound drove the monks up the wall and scared the Buddha out of the head monk!

Oh, and about Shikisoku, he's not terrifying! He's just very about his research. He is awesome! Through his answers and questions he's thrown back at the study group, I've learned a lot and honed my katana of Shinsengumi knowledge!
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firing a cannon - that must have been the last straw. Very Happy

Shikisoku is terrifying in a totally awesome way. bow
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: