Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Kaemper's Observations of the Edo Period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Kaemper's Observations of the Edo Period Reply with quote
I recently received the book ( available at Amazon.com): Kaempfer's Japan: Tokugawa Culture Observed (Hardcover) by Engelbert Kaempfer, M. Bodart-Bailey Beatrice, Beatrice M. Bodart-Bailey (Translator). Kaempfer visited Japan during the Tokugawa times and documented some of his travels. It's very interesting for all of the observed minutia about Japan during the Tokugawa period. What is interesting is that these are actual observations.

There's a very interesting reference to a daimyo, one Asano Takumi-no-kami Naganori; he's mentioned as a daimyo of a small fief. Needless to say, this book was written BEFORE a certain incident between this daimyo and a certain Kira Kotsuke-no-suke Yoshinaka in the Shogun's Palace.

Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaempfers-Japan-Tokugawa-Culture-Observed/dp/0824819640/sr=8-2/qid=1166724469/ref=sr_1_2/105-3892145-2275666?ie=UTF8&s=books
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't finding stuff like that make your day--or even week?

Good searching! Keep us updated. I have the book as well, so could you give me the page number?
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:
Doesn't finding stuff like that make your day--or even week?

Good searching! Keep us updated. I have the book as well, so could you give me the page number?
The reference is on p. 307. Then there is a footnote by the translator, stating that this is the Asano Naganori who was sentenced to seppuku for an assault on Kira.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The same author, Beatrice Bodart-Bailey, has a terrific chapter on 'The Forty-Seven Loyal Samurai' in her book on Tsunayoshi, "The Dog Shogun". pp161-182. Certainly de-romanticises the whole event.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: 47 Reply with quote
No kidding ,it would be really great to analyse this whole event (yes i missed the recent discussion )but keeping it ...how can i say this try and get a somewhat acurate picture of what went down .
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
The same author, Beatrice Bodart-Bailey, has a terrific chapter on 'The Forty-Seven Loyal Samurai' in her book on Tsunayoshi, "The Dog Shogun". pp161-182. Certainly de-romanticises the whole event.
I asked in another thread -- what do other scholars, particularly Japanese scholars, think about Bodart-Bailey's views on Asano Naganori and the 47 former retainers who avenged his death? Is hers a lone, dissenting voice, or is she being joined by others?

Hmmm, curious. Will we stop seeing the Dec. 14 Festivals celebrating the Ako ronin at Senkakuji Temple?

And as I said in the other thread. I haven't read her book, so I really can't comment on it. But I would suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between the 47 Ronin worshippers and the 47 Ronin Detractors.
Azuki Arai
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just recently had this book out on an Interlibrary loan. I skimmed through it...it's way too big and I didn't have enough time to really read through. One of my favorite parts was that the chapter entitled "The Origins of the Japanese People" was immediately followed with a chapter called "The Origins of the Japanese People According to Their Own Fanciful Opinion". I laughed aloud when I read that.

And, for some reason, he calls Buddhism "foreign paganism". Shocked Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: