Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Japanese Screenplays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oyakata
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Japanese Screenplays Reply with quote
Does anyone know how I might go about getting a copy of the screenplay for Seven Samurai?

I'm basically looking for a hardcopy book of the dialog in the movie. Ideally I would love to stumble across an original from the movie as totally amazing collectors item; more realistically I'm just looking for a 'memorabilia' type of item. Or, if a screenplay exists online that would be nice to find too.

Over the past few years, I've given a few feeble attempts at looking for screenplays but have never found any luck. Not sure if I'm looking for something that's not out there, or if my detective skills are too half-hearted, or just plain crap. Embarassed

Look forward to any advice.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In English or Japanese? Both have been published.

There is a multi-volume series of books in Japan that are nothing more than the collected scripts of Kurosawa's films (about five or six scripts per book), with all sorts of cool annotation about which scenes were removed for international editions, etc.

There was an English translation of it pubbed in a paperback series of mastepieces of cinema.

If you do a search at Amazon, you should find both.

Tony
Oyakata
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AJBryant wrote:
In English or Japanese? Both have been published.

Japanese.

AJBryant wrote:
There is a multi-volume series of books in Japan that are nothing more than the collected scripts of Kurosawa's films (about five or six scripts per book), with all sorts of cool annotation about which scenes were removed for international editions, etc.

Sounds like a very fun place to start. Any other details pop to mind to help in the search?

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction!

Oyakata
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The series is simply called "Zenshu Kurosawa Akira."

I'm looking at my copy of volume four right now, which has the scripts for Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Lower Depths, Hidden Fortress, etc.

The edition I have is hardback, slipcovered, and when I bought it in around 1990 it was ¥3,000. It's about 750 yen more now.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4000913247

Tony
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All things considered, that is pretty cheap. Although I am sure they must be available online, there are dozens of sites with screenplays for US movies, I don't see why there wouldn't be for Japanese movies as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: