Register :: Log in :: Profile   

June Discussion Group - Samurai Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
takuan wrote:
BTW, you can change the region code of your computer's DVD (up to five times). Just pop in a disk with the region code of your choice and the computer should give you an alert box allowing you to change the region.

Yeah- I know this but I'm not sure I want to squander those five times for this particular occassion... Confused I'll have to re-watch a bunch of these movies next week, time permitting!

Um... what exactly are you squandering by changing the region code to the US? (and being in Japan, you must have a Japanese player) Do you have a collection of Australian block busters that I don't know about? ("I'll drive that tankah.", "Two men enter, one man leave!")

Laughing

What? All you can do is quote the Road Warrior? Obviously you don't know about wonderful Australian blockbusters such as Priscilla, Queen of the Desert or you don't own the complete box set of the TV series The Flying Doctors...

Cheers on ya, mate, but you're really a Johnny-no-stars when it comes to this stuff. Now be a reasonable bloke and pay attention to the explanation.

I can watch a non-Australian region encoded DVD only 5 times on my PC, then it forever reverts back to a region 4 play-only mode. I'm just not sure I want to blow my five opportunities to watch non-region 4 discs for this study group.

Of course I have an all-regions player and something like 2 more region 2 players, but as I am going to be on the road during most of June, I'd need to watch these flicks on my laptop...and all the movies we are going to discuss I own in region 1 format.

Well mate, go have yourself a few VBs or better yet, go find some Cooper's Pale Ale and get yourself a proper Sheila to share them with. I hope whoever that Sheila is, she turns out to be a Titanic! Just Kidding

(if you need a translation of the slang, you can PM me or any of the real Aussies on the forum. I learned my Aussie slang from too many beer sampling sessions with my Aussie co-workers).
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, you've got it wrong, Baka-tono. You can change the region of the player five times. Meaning you can change it to region 1 tomorrow and watch region 1 movies forever, with the option to change the region four more times. Get it?

BTW, Australia is region 4, meaning Oz and South America. So unless you have some gaucho films you can't live without, I'd go ahead and switch to region 1 or 2.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Takuan's right--you can watch as many region 1 movies as you want, then switch to region 2 and watch as many movies as you want, then switch back to region 1 (or to region 4, or whatever), and that counts only as 2 of your 5 switches.

Currently, I've got 2 laptops, one set to region 1 (US), one set to region 2 (Japan). If the wife and I are seperated, I either only watch region 2 movies, or make the decision to switch and watch region 1 for a long time.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, I get it! duh! I never really actually tried to watch a region encoded DVD in this PC. My previous PC was Japanese and I must have read the explanation wrong. Embarassed Sorry Kitsuno!

The logic of all of this has hit me faster than bad Chinese food. Very Happy

I think I know what DVDs I'll be bringing on my whirlwind tour of the US and Brazil!

Thanks guys and sorry again, Kitsuno!
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a region-cracker on my laptop -- it lets me crack DVDs that are region encoded and re-record them. The only trouble is, if it's a region other than 1, I have to switch to THAT region to crack the bloody thing. Grrr.

Speaking of Strine movies -- I recommend everyone see "Blood Oath" (aka "Prisoners of the Sun") immediately. It's based on a true story -- the Japanese POW camp on Ambon, Indonesia, with the highest mortality rate of any POW camp anywhere in history, and the trial of the Japanese officers after the war. You'll hate the Americans.
Check out Russel Crowe in his first film! See Brian Brown chew up the scenery! See George Takei all snooty as Baron Takahashi! See Deborah Kara Unger... well, just SEE her, for crying out loud. Toshi Shioya will make you actually sympathise with the "bad guys" (and you will cry!), and John Polson will blow you away as the ex-prisoner who testifies at the risk of his health and life. (And I'd like to point out that Watanabe Tetsu is actually a lovely man and very fun person, rather than the mean badass he portrays.)

Tony
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
takuan wrote:
Then there's The Master Gunfighter (1975), another western starring Tom Laughlin (Billy Jack); this one is supposed to be a reworking of Goyokin, but I have yet to see it.
You aren't missing anything by NOT seeing "The Master Gunfighter." Shocked I saw it long, long ago when it was in theatres. It's pretty silly. Western gunfighters all wearing swords as well as guns. Confused Shocked Just Kidding Evil or Very Mad
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
takuan wrote:
Then there's The Master Gunfighter (1975), another western starring Tom Laughlin (Billy Jack); this one is supposed to be a reworking of Goyokin, but I have yet to see it.
You aren't missing anything by NOT seeing "The Master Gunfighter." Shocked I saw it long, long ago when it was in theatres. It's pretty silly. Western gunfighters all wearing swords as well as guns. Confused Shocked Just Kidding Evil or Very Mad

Sounds like one of my favorite classic PS games-"Rising Zan, Samurai Gunman".
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greetings all,

The discussion group is about to begin. Anyone else wishing to jump in speak now or forever hold your peace. Smile

平和,

マット
Azuki Arai
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it too late to sign up for this? I've been absent for a while, but plan to be around more this month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: