Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Katana project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Melillo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Katana project Reply with quote
This is my latest late-night project. I started with an unmounted 1060 blade from Kult of Athena, a tsuba blank from Sei Do Kai, and some koshirae and samekawa leftovers. This is my second completed sword project, as well as my first attempt at acid-etching a hamon, hybrid polishing, patination of the furniture, and engraving. Thanks for looking.

Blade length - Nagasa (tip to Mune-machi): 28 inches - 71.12 cm
Width at Mune-Machi: 1 1/8" - 2.9 cm
Width at Yokote: 7/8" - 2.2 cm
Thickness at Mune-Machi: 1/4" - 5.5 mm
Thickness at Yokote: 3/16" - 4.8 mm
Tsuka length: 9 3/4" - 24.8 cm

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does look great ! Shocked ...even if i'm not personally fond of red samekawa.Wink

Why the mon coin on the tsuka ?

I think it's a bit a pity to engrave katakana on a blade. In my humble opinion, Katakana makes a blade look less authentic than would kanji or even bonji. But I understand that you wanted to write your name, and that katakana are easier to engrave than kanji ! I notice that when I try to engrave them in woodenwares Smile

Well done ! Very Happy
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm with you -- the katakana on the blade really mar the thing...

Tony
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of curiosity how is Kult of Athena? I wanted to pick up a Lakonian sword from them for a projet.
Dude
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Beautiful piece of work
Mike Melillo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks... the katakana was an unfortunate necessity to cover over the word "CHINA" that was stamped there. I didn't want to carve in a bo-hi or something, and really wanted it gone.

Regarding KOA's blades, for $20 you get what you pay for. IMHO, the steel isn't that good at all... polishing brought out various inconsistencies, and as a result, I opted out of a mirror polish and went a very coarse one to compensate. The tip of the kissaki on this one was dented, and both blades had some acid-etched charachters that sanded off easily. They come with a passable saya... needless to say, I'd like to try something a little more upscale next time. Live and learn.

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman
kaien5576
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
not bad work wrapping the tsuka! I am going to start learning that myself. I am waiting for my new blade to get here, which should be any day now, then I am going to order some silk and use by old beater blade as a learning tool. Currently it has cotton on it and it's the standard black wrap with white same. I think I am going to do the tea colored silk or brown leather and maybe black same. I am actually moving away from liking the black same in favor of the white. The blade I am waiting on right now has dark brown silk with white same. I am not sure how much you want to spend but Zanshin has some nice cheap blades aside from their more expensive ones. The cheap ones don't have a hamon etched unless you request it, so you would still be able to do the etching if you wanted to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: