Register :: Log in :: Profile   

This is for Matt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hometutor
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: link Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
Hi Rick, I ended up with another yahoo group account but do not see how it helps me download you tube video. Thanks anyway. John

Dang

You can bet someone's written some freeware by now

Rick
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: download Reply with quote
Hi All, Rick, Thanks, I eventually found the mozilla add on link in your site. Some interesting stuff gets posted there also. Kitsuno, that mozilla add on I will try when I access my other computer, next day or so. It has firefox whereas this doesn't. I'll let you know, thanks. John
Bushikan
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
That's interesting. And it reminds me to ask the sword peeps - are you taught to attack the forearms? It seems that the closest weak spot to your sword is your opponent's forearms - and if they can't swing, they lose. Or do you tend to get too close to make them a viable target?

It really depends on the ryu ha. As mentioned before for most styles of Itto ryu the kote is the main target. Though Mizoguchi ha does not aim primaraly for kote. Owari Yagyu Shinkage has several kumitachi which focus on the hand a target. Tenshin Rishin Ryu prefers to get close and aim for a decisive hara cut. Tasumi Ryu's kenjutsu focuses on cutting to the head (this is not to say the stike can not be changed to a kote cut). Muso Shinden Ryu as MR. Iaidoka mentioned has kote cuts, this is not the primary focus of the iai kumitachi however, later on in Daishozume and Daisho Tachizume and Daikendori yawara is used slightly, joint locks with the sword, grabbing the teki's head, turning it and possible snapping. Muso Shinden ryu and Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu have several ways to deal with the situations of opportunity providing many unusual situations, the densho explain further how these can be applied. Kendo attacks the men, kote, do only because it is the only safe areas to attack. Although earlier versons like Shinken Shobu are violent allowing body checking, tripping, elbows, grappling, tsuka strikes, tsuba strikes, ripping off the head gear, and attacking the person when they are down or if they loose thier weapon. Shindo Munen Ryu does not develop a particular target of favor as it is consitered a "sickness or uneccisary focus". If you see an opening take it, if the opponent does not have one open him up, if the opponent should attack respond accordingly, if the opportunity presents itself counter attack. To foster one attack is counterproductive in it's self. Shinken Shobu was developed for Shindo Munen Ryu. But... in the end all one can do is train, the gods will decide the rest (this sums up a long profound proverb of Shindo Munen Ryu).

hope this mess of an explanation helps
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
See pitcure above. Origote is the large deerskin gloves that keep a bokken from breaking your wrists or forarms.

It's not origote, it's Onigote (鬼小手 ). These are used by Ono-ha Itto-ryu, Hokushin Itto-ryu and Itto Shoden Muto-ryu.

I only know of one place that sells them in Tokyo and they're about USD$500 - $600 a set.

S.Delaney
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steve,

Thanks for the spell check. And I found a few places actually. If you are interested let me know.

Jonah Matheson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: