Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Happy Birthday, Kyoto!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday, Kyoto!! Reply with quote
Did anyone notice that Oct 22 is Kyoto's birthday? It was on this day in 794 that Heian-Kyo was founded by the Emperor Kammu to escape the influence of the conniving monks in Nara.

Every year, Kyoto celebrates this event with the Jidai Matsuri, where thousands of people dress up in period costumes from just about every era in Japanese history from the Heian-period through the end of the Tokugawa period. Actually, this year was the first year that the "Ashikaga" contingent have been allowed to participate. They were previously banned as the Ashikaga Shogunate was deemed "anti-Imperial system".

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy Belated Birthday, Kyoto!

I never knew October 22 was the day.

Next year, I'll probably be in Kyoto for the jidai matsuri, it seems.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday, Kyoto!! Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Did anyone notice that Oct 22 is Kyoto's birthday? It was on this day in 794 that Heian-Kyo was founded by the Emperor Kammu to escape the influence of the conniving monks in Nara.

Is that adjusting for the transition from the lunar calendar to the modern one? Wink
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday, Kyoto!! Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Is that adjusting for the transition from the lunar calendar to the modern one? Wink

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the case!

Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday, Kyoto!! Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the case!

Good, I'd hate to buy a cake on the wrong day. Wink

Alas, my next trip to Kyoto is Nov. 2nd, so I get to miss out on the Jidai Matsuri. I did get to see the Gion Matsuri "floats" the last time I was there, though, so I haven't completely missed out on Kyoto's festivals.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to be in Kyoto this weekend and am hoping to catch part of the Nijo-jo matsuri. Hopefully, I'll get to see some of the REAL Kano screen paintings they have hidden away. I was under the impression that Nijo-jo was going to be closed for earthquake-proofing. I guess not yet.

Sunday, if the weather is okay, I may go to Hikone castle as I travel back towards Nagoya.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: