Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Nobunaga's Ambition 11 to be released in English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Nobunaga's Ambition 11 to be released in English Reply with quote
http://www.koei.com/company/pressitem.cfm?id=1B7F28B6-3048-2B9C-8E4CF7AF305440D1

Or I think so, at least Smile

The above link is blocked here at my work, but I'm told that that's what it says! Great news if so!
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even better, it's for the PS2...BONUS! Very Happy
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They're bringing over Nobunaga no Yabou: Tenka Sousei, which originally came out in September *2003*. I wonder why they're not doing Kakushin, the most recent (2006) installment.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took 4 years to translate? Rolling Eyes
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
It took 4 years to translate? Rolling Eyes

I almost interviewed for a translation job at Koei four years ago, but they were so slow getting back to me that I had already interviewed twice and been hired by another company before they had even deigned to respond to my inquiry. Guess they should've responded quicker. Wink

If you have access to a Japanese PS2 (or a modded one) the Nobunaga no Yabou games are a good way to review historical vocabulary and names. They generally don't provide any furigana for difficult kanji, plus you have to read and comprehend the text FAST because "ZOMG! I'm being invaded!" Wink
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really happy to hear it's coming to America, even if it's an older game.
Fans have been asking for this for a long time now.
With a bit of hope, we'll get Kakushin in 2010, when PS4 comes out. Laughing
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98,

I might have to break down and buy that. It would be my first Nobunaga game.

平和、

マット
Algren-san
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Definately buying it as soon as it comes out. For anyone who has played or owns the Japanese version, how is it as far as play and historical realism are concerned?
Susano-o
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be more than content to add this valuable gem to my library of games, right there beside the 20 RoTK's Koei has released here in the States... Curses!
fwseal
Tairō
Tairō
Urban Legend
Urban Legend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now, I can't knock ROTK-and I loved ROTK-11 best of all, but... in truth, they've always been consolation prizes for the Nobunaga games that weren't being released.

The funny thing is, back in the days, I got a lot of people into Nobunaga's-especially Lord of Darkness, which was the best hotseat multiplayer game Koei ever did, I think. With ROTK, I'd get as far as 'It's set in 2nd Century China...' and eyes would glaze over and that would be it. Zero interest.

I think Koei somehow assumed that Chinese history would be more palatable to western tastes; they invested no effort in pushing Nobunaga's Ambition; I think NA2 was in six stores in the US for about three days.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Algren-san wrote:
Definately buying it as soon as it comes out. For anyone who has played or owns the Japanese version, how is it as far as play and historical realism are concerned?

It's been years since I've played it, but from what I remember, it was dead on with everything, although my colleague fwseal could better answer that, since I always played it at his place.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Susano-o
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fwseal wrote:

I think Koei somehow assumed that Chinese history would be more palatable to western tastes; they invested no effort in pushing Nobunaga's Ambition; I think NA2 was in six stores in the US for about three days.

This astounds me, what with the HUGE ninja craze of the 80's and early 90's, and samurai to a lesser degree. I just remember watching Sho Kosugi movies with my cousin til' 2 in the am...ahhhh those were the days...ninjas with eye patches...
fwseal
Tairō
Tairō
Urban Legend
Urban Legend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just remember looking everywhere for Nobunaga's Ambition 2 and never, ever seeing it on the racks; ROTK2 was ubiqitous. I was only able to rent NA2 from a little video store that happened to have it-just about the only reason I knew it existed.

Lord of Darkness was already a little behind the times when it hit the SNES in the US; its graphics couldn't compare to ROTK3, which came out first, and, actually, it was basically NA2: Whole Country edition ramped up for the SNES.

I think if Koei made a real mistake, it was giving up its efforts in the US computer market as far as its Historical Simulation Series was concerned. The US PC market is a lot more forgiving for titles that don't really fit the mass market mold; at least, such was the case for most of the 90s. On the other hand, the quality of Koei's PC titles lagged behind that of their console titles for a long time. I've heard PTOII, for example, wasn't nearly as good on PC.
Susano-o
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know exactly what you mean about NA2, that's exactly how I knew it existed and was able to play it. I think one of Koei's mistakes has also been to neglect releasing any more of the Uncharted Waters series, as well as Genghis Khan and Bandit Kings. Bandit Kings hasn't seen a sequel, but they could do so much with a new title in that series, as well as Uncharted Waters.
fwseal
Tairō
Tairō
Urban Legend
Urban Legend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I loved Bandit Kings and consider it one of Koei's best NES titles. It was also one of the toughest.

As for UW...what can I say; I have utterly no idea why they stopped porting that series to the west. It remains a truly unique idea; the closest thing, and it wasn't that close, I ever saw for it was a PC game from Impressions called High Seas Trader circa. 1995. I guess you could say Pirates was in the same vein, but really only in the sense that you sailed around.

I've read that some people were disappointed in Genghis Khan II; I liked it, especially the way you could build a real dynasty (naming your kids and them being random was a great touch; I always wished ROTK or NA had such an option.) The fact that you had no choice but to turn tracts of your empire over to the computer added an element of difficulty and strategy to the game that ROTK could have used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: