Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Kata in Modern Martial Arts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think practicing Kata is essential to the study of Martial Arts?
Kata is an essential part of Martial Arts
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
Practicing Kata is a waste of time
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Yamabushi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Kata in Modern Martial Arts Reply with quote
Hey guys! I am doing a term paper on the significance of Kata in modern Martial Arts and i just need your opinions on the matter. The main inspiration for this study is the fact that there are a lot of Martial Artists who claim that practicing with pre-arranged techniques and motions is pointless because real combat is unpredictable and chaotic. These people prefer a more sparring-based training method as opposed to Kata. My purpose is to try to disprove them. Please answer the poll and post your thoughts!

Your posts are greatly appreciated! Very Happy

P.S. if you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my research, i would really appreciate it! Very Happy
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kata in Modern Martial Arts Reply with quote
Yamabushi wrote:
Hey guys! I am doing a term paper on the significance of Kata in modern Martial Arts and i just need your opinions on the matter. The main inspiration for this study is the fact that there are a lot of Martial Artists who claim that practicing with pre-arranged techniques and motions is pointless because real combat is unpredictable and chaotic. These people prefer a more sparring-based training method as opposed to Kata. My purpose is to try to disprove them. Please answer the poll and post your thoughts!

Your posts are greatly appreciated! Very Happy

P.S. if you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my research, i would really appreciate it! Very Happy

In my experience it is good for three things - perfection of technique (coordination and "getting it right"), repetition required to act without thinking, and general physical training to get your body used to all of the techniques so you are capable of doing them without pulling muscles, twisting something wrong, or fumbling. It is a matter of opinion if it is "directly" applicable to "combat", but I thin the three points above are important.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Yamabushi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
In my experience it is good for three things - perfection of technique (coordination and "getting it right"), repetition required to act without thinking, and general physical training to get your body used to all of the techniques so you are capable of doing them without pulling muscles, twisting something wrong, or fumbling. It is a matter of opinion if it is "directly" applicable to "combat", but I thin the three points above are important.

Cool! Thanks for replying Very Happy Would you mind if i used these points in my paper?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yamabushi wrote:
Quote:

Cool! Thanks for replying Very Happy Would you mind if i used these points in my paper?

Sure.

Yamabushi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Arigatou Very Happy
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have left this somewhat broad. Then again I guess mos polls are. Is your paper focused on gendai budo or koryu bujusu?

Search this section of the forum. I amd others have addressed this a few times.

Jonah Matheson
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yamabushi,

Personally, I think it is just one of many tools to be used, but not relied upon. For some people kata are essential in helping them learn the techniques. For others, like me, the kata just never really stuck. I consider it more good exercise.
This is all based on my juujutsu experience and not my iaidou experience. For most iaidou styles the kata are all they have. Basically it can be argued either way on a style-by-style basis.

平和、

マット
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just re-read the question - is kata an essential part of the martial arts? Absolutely. Is it relevant to combat? probably not directly, but having perfected techniques and physical conditioning can't hurt.

Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To add on what the others said:

To me, kata are the base/foundation (kiso). You need the basics to grow. Just like you started crawling on your belly, then on your 4 legs, then walked and finally ran. You can never practice basics too much. If the movement for your basic punch is excellent, chances that are that your movement for kenjutsu will be excellent also (according that your art has both or more).
Everything is linked.

Then again, it all depends on what type of art you refer to: koryû bujutsu or modern martial arts?
kyushudan
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kata in Modern Martial Arts Reply with quote
My Karate Sensei said everything in a kata has a purpose.

I would argue that of the many people who teach - even if there technique is excellent - that they may not know the significance of everything in a kata.

One example: neko ashi dachi features in many Karate katas. Why? Have you used that while sparring? I doubt it highly. I've heard you'll be able to do a speedy front leg kick. I can accept that. But, many years later I heard two more things that made me realize how how much I didn't realize. That simply training is neko-ashi dachi WILL strengthen your thighs which will give you powerful kicks & Strengthened legs will give you the ability to gain ground speedily on an opponent.

Also "real combat" was mentioned. Gichin Funakoshi only ever grabbed a would-be thief by the nuts in "real combat" (to which he was deeply ashamed) as mentioned in his book - Karate-do, my way of life.

Note: The nut-grab does feature in a kata.

Did I get off-topic?
Yamabushi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the replies!!! Very Happy Im really thankful for all your comments. Im also glad that the replies have a lot of variety! Very Happy Oh and just to clarify, i think i posted this somewhere but then again... This topic is focused on Gendai Budo. Correct me if im wrong, but i think most Koryu Bujutsu use a lot of Kata for instruction and practice. What i want to find out is if modern martial arts training should still make use of Kata Very Happy

Again, thanks for all your replies! Im really grateful! And please just keep posting your comments and experiences on the matter Smile [/i]
mr.miyagi
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kata in Modern Martial Arts Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with Kitsuno. We learn much from watching the animals. Many predators play a lot when they are young. Their play is their work. A cat trains all his life. I had a mentor who was fond of saying, "Watch the cat! Watch the cat!"
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me, it really improves my Kendo waza. All of the kata have techniques applicable to ji-geiko.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: