Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Toi (刀伊) invasion of Japan in Kannin 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Toi (刀伊) invasion of Japan in Kannin 3 Reply with quote
Hi all.

The search function seems not helpful.

Any info/sources to consult about the invasion
occured in Kannin (寛仁) 3 by Toi (刀伊),a manchurian
population ?

Thanks in advance

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Carlo, where are you getting your initial information? Book, website, overheard? Might help direct people on what sources to check.

As it stands, it doesn't immediately ring a bell. This would be 1020... I'll have to look for stuff around that time.

Looks like the Jin dynasty was formed around 1115, and they were a Manchurian dynasty. I'll see what else I can dig up, if I have time, but I'm about to leave soon.

-Josh
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In 1019, Jurchen pirates from Manchuria (along with some Koreans) raided the islands of Tsushima and Iki, afterwards heading to Hakata Bay with about 50 ships (I think 'Toi' is an older Korean form of 'barbarian' rather than an actual tribe or people). The Japanese admin center in Kyushu at Dazaifu dispatched troops to the area and drove them off, but not before they had managed to indulge in quite a bit of looting. The Jurchens were intercepted by a Korean fleet on their way back to Manchuria and eight of their ships were captured-the Koreans sent back the Japanese on board that the Jurchens had kidnapped to use as slaves. This seems like it might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Sun May 11, 2008 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
Carlo, where are you getting your initial information? Book, website, overheard? Might help direct people on what sources to check.

As it stands, it doesn't immediately ring a bell. This would be 1020... I'll have to look for stuff around that time.

Looks like the Jin dynasty was formed around 1115, and they were a Manchurian dynasty. I'll see what else I can dig up, if I have time, but I'm about to leave soon.

-Josh

Hi Josh.
It comes from NihonTo Koza. It's part of the history
of the establishing of a swordsmith school.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
In 1019, Jurchen pirates from Manchuria (along with some Koreans) raided the islands of Tsushima and Iki, afterwards heading to Hakata Bay with about 50 ships (I think 'Toi' is an older Korean form of 'barbarian' rather than an actual tribe or people). The Japanese admin center in Kyushu at Daizaifu dispatched troops to the area and drove them off, but not before they had managed to indulge in quite a bit of looting. The Jurchens were intercepted by a Korean fleet on their way back to Manchuria and eight of their ships were captured-the Koreans sent back the Japanese on board that the Jurchens had kidnapped to use as slaves. This seems like it might be what you're looking for.

Tatsu, the number of ships matches with the
short history in the source I'm reading.
Guess you've hit the nail on the head and that the
term "invasion" quoted in the source is a bit...
exaggerated.

Thanks. You rule

shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
J-wikipedia says the details are on Ouki and Choyagunsai.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Shikishoku.

Elwe
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fujiwara no Takaie 藤原隆家 (979–1044) was the Dazaifu Acting Governor-General of Kyushu during the Toi invasion and was famous for repelling them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: