Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Taiho-Jutsu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Taiho-Jutsu Reply with quote
Hey, anybody aware of this book? Looks like something I could use for research, but I gotta get confirmation from my Citadel homies that it's up to snuff.

Taiho-Jutsu: Law and Order in the Age of the Samurai
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
May I ask what your research subject is?

Jonah Matheson
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like Riko, are you the last of the SA-Citadel regulars to know what Takuan does for a living? Like ohmegosh!Surprised
Dude, time to put your $150 made-in-China iaido sword down and focus! Just Kidding

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Taiho-Jutsu Reply with quote
takuan wrote:
Hey, anybody aware of this book? Looks like something I could use for research, but I gotta get confirmation from my Citadel homies that it's up to snuff.

Taiho-Jutsu: Law and Order in the Age of the Samurai

Never read it, but I'm curious enough. That said, he probably could pull off the historical part with a good research (who used it, in what situations, where it came from), but as far as "Cunningham discusses the weapons and demonstrates their use in a series of clear, easy-to-follow illustrations" goes, I bet it's wrong.

He doesn't have much of a background in koryû, so...I could be wrong, but I have my doubts on how well he could show how it's properly used.
But if you only need the historical information part, I say go ahead and check it out. Give us a feedback.
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have got to remember where and when I post.

Actually Obenjo my dear fellow, I should have been more specific in what I was asking. I am aware of his vocation. So what I should have asked is:

Takuan,

Are you wandering if this will be a good book to further your research on weapons, or there use?

Jonah Matheson
Kuseru Satsujin
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I don't have Taiho-Jutsu itself, I do have Cunningham's Secret Weapons of Jujutsu and wasn't overly impressed with it (of course, since I picked up the awesome Serge Mol work Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts at the same time, and it covers pretty much the same weapons in much better detail, there wasn't room for the book to impress me).

From what I've seen though, he pretty much uses the same material in Taiho-Jutsu as the material which appeared in SWOJ, adding arresting polearm information (sodegarami, sasumata, etc) to those weapons which previously appeared.

Overall, expect a general presentation of the information, rather than an indepth exploration of the subject.
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
Takuan,

Are you wandering if this will be a good book to further your research on weapons, or there use?

Well it all goes back to my writing about film, in this case my current project, a second volume on samurai films. Always good to know more about the deadly weapons people are using in these films.

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
I picked up the awesome Serge Mol work Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts at the same time, and it covers pretty much the same weapons in much better detail

So it sounds like that's the book to get. Thanks!
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taihojutsu is a modern martial art practiced by the Japanese Police force. It's an amalgamation of judo & Yoshinkan and Tomiki aikido. One of their training methods is to do full contact training wearing bogu similar to Nippon Kempo. In this training method, they train knife and stick defences with full aggressive intent.

Period arresting arts were toritejutsu, hojojutsu, juttejutsu & hogujutsu (use of bo, sasumata, sodegarami & hashigo). The last ryuha to teach hogujutsu was Hokusui-ryu in Chiba Prefecture. Noone's heard from them in about 2-3 decades. Masaki-ryu teach Edo-machigata juttejutsu and manrikigusarijutsu and there are quite a few ryuha out there that still teach torite, hojojutsu and juttejutsu.

Mr. Cunningham's book is very good, but there are a number of errata. It should be noted that Mr.Cunningham is a Kodokan judo practicioner and hasn't had any formal training in koryu jujutsu that use these particular arresting methods. He has done a sterling effort though in researching these arts for his book.

Hope this helps

S.Delaney
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kogusoku,

I was wondering if you ever read Serge Mol's Classical Weaponry of Japan:
Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts
(suggested above)or his other book?

Any thoughts about the author, his bujutsu background?
I just want to know if this book is a worthy addition from the point of view of someone who also train in a koryû.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sasumata is still used.
http://www.tssp.jp/goods/safe.php?id=92&cate=19
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Sasumata is still used.
http://www.tssp.jp/goods/safe.php?id=92&cate=19

That's the sissy version! Where are the spikes?! Smile
But seriously, the spikes were there to prevent people being arrested from grabbing the pole.
Without it, I believe you would need more man-power to arrest someone, no?
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Baian wrote:
Kogusoku,

I was wondering if you ever read Serge Mol's Classical Weaponry of Japan:
Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts
(suggested above)or his other book?

Any thoughts about the author, his bujutsu background?
I just want to know if this book is a worthy addition from the point of view of someone who also train in a koryû.

Mr. Serge Mol has put a lot of research into his books, but alas here and there are a few glaring errata, either with facts about individual ryuha, it's history or the kanji used. Overall his books are excellent sources of basic knowledge of koryu, but some things have to be taken with a grain of salt, since a great big bite of his books focuses on a couple of ryuha with unverifiable lineage issues.

For the special weapons and tactics book, he uses an awful lot of references from one of his jujutsu teachers books on Katayama Hoki-ryu jujutsu, was recreated/reconstructed in 1992 (The densho are old, but the ryuha in it's original form is extinct.) Mr. Mol also uses sources from his other budo teacher, Tanaka Fumon as well as Iwai Kohaku, a menkyo kaiden in Kiraku-ryu jujutsu.

Overall the facts in the book are accurate, just don't trust some of the recreations of certain techniques there. Iwai Kohaku is very proficient in chain weapons such as the fundo-kusari, chigiriki and kusarigama from Kiraku-ryu.

Mr.Mol's teachers, I suggest you start doing some research.

A rather long thread on Tanaka Fumon

A little something on Nakashima Atsumi, Mr. Mol's Hoki-ryu teacher.

Hope this helps.

S.Delaney
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kogusoku wrote:

Mr.Mol's teachers, I suggest you start doing some research.

A rather long thread on Tanaka Fumon

A little something on Nakashima Atsumi, Mr. Mol's Hoki-ryu teacher.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.
I already know Tanaka Fumon and well....using that man's work as a source is what I would call unreliable.
I think I'll pass on that book.
Kuseru Satsujin
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As an update, Don Cunningham has come out with a new book, Samurai Weapons, however the title is misleading as he states in the prologue that the book is simply an updated version of Secret Weapons of Jujutsu with some new material. Unfortunately the book still falls short of the coverage seen in Serge Mol's Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts. It is however a much better buy than the earlier Cunningham books, though a bit pricey since it seems to only be out in hardback.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: