Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Seven Duels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Seven Duels Reply with quote
I picked up a series after two episodes called Seven Duels about Yagyu Jubei. The fourth episode was pretty heart wrenching in Yagyu's duel with Yamaga, who was just trying to get revenge for his murdered son.

Has anyone seen this and could you share a little synopsis of the first two episodes?
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Seven Reply with quote
There are 3 seasons
Season One has Musashi (Chiba )in ep 5
Season Two is about Shimabara
Season Three is about Yui Shosetsu
which season have you been watching out of curiosity ,because season one was subbed by Ck(Kurotokagi ) and Season 2/3 were shown subtitled in parts of the world but are very hard to find (no CK and Samuraidvd do not have them )
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's season two, about Shimabara. I caught the 3rd and 4th episode and I couldn't find any plot summaries online.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've watched all of CK's Season One episodes. I believe that CK will eventually do Season 2 and Season 3.

Could you tell me where you get your Season 2 episodes? Are they sub-titled?

I would read about the Shimabara Rebellion. You can find a well-researched account in Ivan Morris's book NOBILITY OF FAILURE. Of course Yagyu Jubei's involvement in this rebellion is fictional; there is no evidence that the historical Yagyu Jubei took any part in the rebellion. And... If you read this account, you could contribute to the historical discussion I tried to start in the Edo period section. Very Happy

There is also an out-of-print pot-boiler historical novel called SHIMABARA by Douglass Bailey. This has Jubei in a prominant role along with his sister Akane. This novel takes a lot of liberties with historical facts. However, I enjoyed it anyway. It's available very cheaply at Amazon.com's used book links.
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Surprised Oh, I missed all of season one! Season two is on KIKU, playing right after Atsuhime. I'll have to keep an eye out for those books. Some time ago I read a couple of accounts of the rebellion, one from Stephen Turnbull's books.

The last episode of Seven Duels II was very heartwrenching.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kendoka girl wrote:
Surprised Oh, I missed all of season one! Season two is on KIKU, playing right after Atsuhime. I'll have to keep an eye out for those books. Some time ago I read a couple of accounts of the rebellion, one from Stephen Turnbull's books.

The last episode of Seven Duels II was very heartwrenching.
I cannot access KIKU. Is there a place where someone can get DVDs of the Season two episodes?
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was the only reference I could find for the series -

http://sales.micojapan.com/detail/12
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! Very Happy

Does anyone know if there are any script summaries available from KIKU (on their site) or from anywhere else? I gather than the Season II and Season III episodes haven't yet been sub-titled.
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just saw Samurai Gold Diggers...what a title. It was entertaining with a healthy amount of action.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kendoka girl wrote:
I just saw Samurai Gold Diggers...what a title. It was entertaining with a healthy amount of action.
I have the Criterion version of this film. Though in their edition, it's called "Sword of the Beast." Great film, really liked it!
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen six episodes now and the plot is really becoming intricate. I was expecting a weekly morality play, but it's proven to be much deeper.
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just saw the last episode and it was really moving. There were even three great duels and lots of intrigue.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kendoka girl wrote:
I just saw the last episode and it was really moving. There were even three great duels and lots of intrigue.
Curious -- according to this series, what was Jubei's role in the Shimabara rebellion? In the Douglass Bailey novel, "Shimabara," Jubei fought on the side of the rebels against his father.

In your answer, you might want to put a "spoiler alert" in case other people don't want to know how it ends.
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: *spoiler warning* Reply with quote
In this series, Jubei initially acts as an agent of the Bakufu under his father's direction. He is told to kill certain 'agitators' of the rebellion and finds many of these men to be honorable samurai, who had been disenfranchised by the bakufu. They are merely going to Shimabara to die as noble death.

As the series progresses, Jubei becomes disillusioned. He even finds that his sempai has joined the rebellion as well. Not to give too much away, but they gloss over the rebellion itself and Jubei does turn against his father in a final duel.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: *spoiler warning* Reply with quote
kendoka girl wrote:
In this series, Jubei initially acts as an agent of the Bakufu under his father's direction. He is told to kill certain 'agitators' of the rebellion and finds many of these men to be honorable samurai, who had been disenfranchised by the bakufu. They are merely going to Shimabara to die as noble death.

As the series progresses, Jubei becomes disillusioned. He even finds that his sempai has joined the rebellion as well. Not to give too much away, but they gloss over the rebellion itself and Jubei does turn against his father in a final duel.
Sounds truly engrossing.

Is there some place where I can obtain or download Season 2 and/or Season 3? How did you obtain it?

I checked the site you noted in an earlier post, but this is not an individual download site and the people there say that they don't deal with individual inquiries; they are only interested in satellite and cable channels.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: YAGYOOOOOOOOO Reply with quote
I Think the usual suspect has a copy of this from KIKU ,least he said he was getting it so WT why dont you ask M he may have it by now .
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, indeed, it was KIKU, nihongo no terebi desu Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: