Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Hinayana and Mahayana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsan
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Hinayana and Mahayana Reply with quote
From the pinned topic "Tenets of Buddhism":

Quote:

1)Hinyana-Lesser Vehicle:This places the onus on the individual to achieve enlightenment through meditation, contemplation, and ceremony. Esoteric sects and Zen fall under this category.
2)Mahayana-Greater Vehicle-everyone can become a Buddha and benefiting others is an integral part of enlightenment. These comprise the Jodo (Pure Land) sects, where you can enter the land of Amida Buddha simply by repeating his name over and over. The Jodo sects are by far the largest Buddhist groups in Japan today. They brought Buddhism, which before was largely for the rich and educated, to the masses.

This division differs from what I've read. Generally, Hinayana simply refers to Theravada Buddhism. The rest is Mahayana, including Vajrayana (Tibetan Buddhism).

I'm no expert on Japanese Buddhism, but the divisions above look more like jiriki (self-help) and tariki (outside-help) to me.

Can anyone clarify? Also, can anyone tell me the romaji for "Theravada?"

Thanks.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hinayana and Mahayana Reply with quote
craigsan wrote:
From the pinned topic "Tenets of Buddhism":

Quote:

1)Hinyana-Lesser Vehicle:This places the onus on the individual to achieve enlightenment through meditation, contemplation, and ceremony. Esoteric sects and Zen fall under this category.
2)Mahayana-Greater Vehicle-everyone can become a Buddha and benefiting others is an integral part of enlightenment. These comprise the Jodo (Pure Land) sects, where you can enter the land of Amida Buddha simply by repeating his name over and over. The Jodo sects are by far the largest Buddhist groups in Japan today. They brought Buddhism, which before was largely for the rich and educated, to the masses.

This division differs from what I've read. Generally, Hinayana simply refers to Theravada Buddhism. The rest is Mahayana, including Vajrayana (Tibetan Buddhism).

I'm no expert on Japanese Buddhism, but the divisions above look more like jiriki (self-help) and tariki (outside-help) to me.

Can anyone clarify? Also, can anyone tell me the romaji for "Theravada?"

Thanks.

The Japanese Buddhist schools that descended from Theravada were the esoteric ones like Shingon and Tendai. Any school that depends on the individual to attain enlightenment is considered 'hinayana' within Japan.

The other Japanese schools (primarily Jodo) comprise 'mahayana' in Japan. And yes, the two categories do generally fall into 'self help' and 'outside' inside Japan.

The definition and usage of 'hinayana' among Buddhist scholars, different schools of Buddhism, and between different countries is a hotly debated topic-but the info given in the 'tenets' topic is for the most part how it is seen in Japan.

In a completely different take, Jonathan Salk argues that "...the term 'Hinayana' was used to refer to whomever one wanted to criticize on any given occasion, and did not refer to any definite grouping of Buddhists". A very complex topic, this, and one that I'm not qualified to hold forth on.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could be mistaken, but I thought Tendai and Shingon were still quite Mahayana. I'm not sure if any Theravada schools really made it to Japan. In fact, most tantric practices, although perhaps personal, come from later developments in Mahayana Buddhism, after the main schism in India.

Perhaps others were called 'Hinayana' derisively, but I don't think they ever considered themselves Theravada.

I'd be interested if anyone has evidence to the contrary.

-Josh
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A professor of mine agrees that Tendai was derived from Mahayana Buddhism. I don't recall his lecture on Shingon however. Embarassed
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I thought Tendai and Shingon were still quite Mahayana. I'm not sure if any Theravada schools really made it to Japan. In fact, most tantric practices, although perhaps personal, come from later developments in Mahayana Buddhism, after the main schism in India.

Perhaps others were called 'Hinayana' derisively, but I don't think they ever considered themselves Theravada.

I'd be interested if anyone has evidence to the contrary.

-Josh

You are correct. Being in a rush (like I am now Wink ), I was seeing Theravada as Vajrayana, from which Shingon came from (Tendai didn't, though). So let me rephrase the first paragraph of my original post as

The esoteric, tantric Japanese Buddhist schools like Shingon and Tendai along with most of the later Zen schools are considered 'hinayana'. Any school that depends on the individual to attain enlightenment is considered 'hinayana' within Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: