Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Quality Bokken.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpalombi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Quality Bokken. Reply with quote
Greetings All,
I am searching for superior quality bokuto for full-contact (with control) partners practice. I am impressed with Kingfisher Woodworks, Sei Do Kai Bokken, Bokkendo Woodworks and Bu Jin Design Bokken. I am less familiar with the many Japanese manufacturers, out there.

Can anyone help/advise me towards a really tough bokken? Any links to available bokuto? Thanks!

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi
MLanteigne
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll be pretty safe with any of those choices. I'd personally recommend Sei Do Kai. I've purchased from Kim before, great guy, great gear.

"The highway of fear leads to the road of defeat."
- From a Bazooka Joe Comic, of all things.
pgsmith
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Jon!
I'll second Matt's recommendation of Sei Do Kai bokken. I used one of Kim's hickory bokken full contact for many years. When I finally retired it, I got one of his shiro kashi bokken, and have been using it for about five years now.

Another good supplier for your list though is bokken shop by Tozando. I've seen a number of their bokken, and they are good quality.
jonpalombi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: First stop, Sei Do Kai Bokken. Reply with quote
Thanks Guys,
I've been glued to Kim's bokken web-page for the last week, trying to limit myself to merely 3 or 4 of his pieces. Truth is, I want at least 1/2 a dozen of them. Some for two-person kata, some for suburi practice and some just because they are so beautiful. You see, I have developed Bokken Fever and I am hopelessly obsessed with The Quest. I want a couple Kingfisher bokuto , to boot. His bokken are awesome and he's a fellow Vermonter.
Oh yes... I have visited Bokkenshop.com, Budogu.com and Tozando Bokken Shop. I am attracted to several of the pieces available from Japan, as well. Has anyone had any practical experience with Japanese hardwoods like Isu, Sunuke and Tetsuboku? How do they compare to Northern-grown Hickory, Cocobola and Ipe? Thanks Gang!

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi En Guarde
pgsmith
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Has anyone had any practical experience with Japanese hardwoods like Isu, Sunuke and Tetsuboku? How do they compare to Northern-grown Hickory, Cocobola and Ipe?

Hey Jon,
Sorry, but I don't have any real experience with any of the exotic woods. I'm a real plain vanilla bokken sorta guy! Smile

The best one to ask that question of would be Kim Taylor himself. He's done a LOT of playing around with various types of woods, and can probably tell you exactly how each one differs from another. Gotta warn you though, if you get him talking about wood, he can go for a long time! Smile

Shoot me an email if you need his email address.
jonpalombi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evening Paul,
Yes, I know all about Kim's mania for hardwoods. I bought my iaito from Sei Do Kai, 10 years ago, so I am familiar with both his martial lineage and his fine wood-workmanship. Exotic woods have always captivated me, so researching the impact-resistance and/or lack of brittleness, is a key element. In fact, there is quite a bit out there on the net about bokken-worthy wood types. Like any other field of research, the science of contemporary bokuto studies have narrowed-down the primary woods necessary for the kind of beating bokken undergo (from virtually every corner of this planet). Of course, it seems to only natural that the types of wood are indigenous to the country producing them. This only complicates the degree of available materials and/or design considerations. Other than the mass-produced "cheapies", I love 'em all. While several are nearly invincible and others are tough-as-nails and of intoxicating beauty... it would seem one is only limited by the depth of one's wallet.

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi

Last edited by jonpalombi on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
pgsmith
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
it would seem one is only limited by the depth of one's wallet.

That's the truth! Smile
When my life finally slows down a bit so that I have some free time, I'm going to make me a bokken out of Osage Orange (we call it bodark) which is one of those exotic hardwoods that grows here locally. I've seen fence posts out of it here that I couldn't cut with a chainsaw. It would be practically indestructible! Very interesting yellow green color too.
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own a set form Bujin designs. I used them 3 days a week for 3 years, and they are still in good shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: