Register :: Log in :: Profile   

D'jango/Sukiyaki Western

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: D'jango/Sukiyaki Western Reply with quote
Just saw this last night-it's great! The bizarre combination of Yojimbo/Kill Bill/Fistful Of Dollars/Heike Monogatari really works. It would've been perfect for the Western/Samurai film group we ran last year. Be forewarned, though, if you have no sense of the absurd, you won't enjoy this film. For example, Taira Kiyomori is readin' "Heike Monogatari" to his followers but is alterin' it so they believe it says "The Genji Are Goin' Down". He then discards it and says from now on he'll be readin' Henry VI, because the Red win in this one. Then he insists from now on, all his followers call him Henry, which they do after he beats the crap out of one who giggles at him. On the Genji side, Shizuka is a 'fallen dove' and Benkei puts on makeup and acts like a woman to get Yoshitsune's attention, only to get gunned down for his trouble. There's other "Monogatari" figures like Yoichi and Taira Shigemori that are likewise warped. In a nod to Kill Bill, there a neat short animated sequence featurin' the legend of "Bloody Benten" (Benten or Benzaiten is the Japanese goddess of femininity), described as the 'eight armed goddess of the gunfight'. Plenty of gunfights, some swordplay (mostly by the supernaturally gifted Yoshitsune), barroom brawls, gold, and the most mangled English (the movie is shot with Japanese actors speakin' English) you'll ever hear. While 'Yoshitsune' is intelligible, I found it easier just to read the Japanese subtitles. Just listenin' to one of the extras exclaim "Gold Nuggets" is enough to induce spasms of laughter.
So-just who or what is D'Jango? Well, you'll have ta wait until the end of the movie to find out. I will say it ain't the main character, who is the proverbial 'man with no name'.

lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really excited about this film. It just came out on DVD a week ago, and I snatched it up. Haven't watched it yet though.

Judging from the trailer (and I hope I'm not disappointed), it's looking to be the perfect combination of samurai and Wild West to create something akin to Japanese steampunk (though quite possibly without the steam, or the punk, but hopefully you get my meaning).

I was disappointed with the lack of English subtitles; if they were speaking Japanese with no subtitles I might do alright, but to listen to unintelligible English while trying to read the Japanese subtitles, that's going to mess with my head for sure.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Lycaena
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please tell me the spoken English isn't as bad as it was on Miike's "Imprint."
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok ok... I'll have to check out this trailer now. You have peaked my curiosity...
kikuchiyo
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:
I'm really excited about this film. It just came out on DVD a week ago, and I snatched it up. Haven't watched it yet though.

Judging from the trailer (and I hope I'm not disappointed), it's looking to be the perfect combination of samurai and Wild West to create something akin to Japanese steampunk (though quite possibly without the steam, or the punk, but hopefully you get my meaning).

I was disappointed with the lack of English subtitles; if they were speaking Japanese with no subtitles I might do alright, but to listen to unintelligible English while trying to read the Japanese subtitles, that's going to mess with my head for sure.

The English was pretty bad and I had to raise the volume high and listen carefully in order to understand what some of the guys were saying at times. The movie itself was okay but I would've like to see kakkoii Japanese Cowboy movie rather than the goofy mixture it ended up being.
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw a preview for this ages ago, and forgot all about it. Sounds like a bit of fun, at the very least.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: DJANGO Reply with quote
The original Django is one of my all time fave Spaghetti Westerns and is probaly the best of all the Yojimbo remakes ,also Django Kill (gotta love the scene where a bandido is shot with gold bullets and the greedy townspeople rip his innards to shreds looking for the gold )and Django The Bastard (Eastwood liked it so much he lifted it for High Plains Drifter )

So given Miike's recent form i am somewhat in two minds about this ,yes he has the original Django Music played on a digeree doo ,Spaghetti Western legend Guilianno Gema (Return Of Ringo ,Day Of Anger ,A Roof For A Sky Full Of Stars ,Silver Saddle ,Long Days Of Vengance and my fave a 1968 take on the Kennedy Assassination relocated to the reconstruction The Price Of Power )..has a cameo in this as sadly does Tarantino playing Ringo no less .still it should be worth checking out .

Beware the US Version ,New Line will release it and in true spaghetti western style will cut 25 minutes from it ,just like most of the great Spaghetti's of yore were butchered
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Engrish Reply with quote
Question for Brickster ,Yoshino Kimura was born in the UK so her English should be perfect ,i saw her on the now defunct Masters Of Horror in Dream Cruise with Ryo Ishibashi and her English is fine (the rest of her is not bad either )maybe Miike should have had her narrate it .

Hideki Ito never an actor i have cared for since his performance as Oda Nobunaga in Kunitori Monogatari ,playing Nobunaga as a spoiled throw toys out of the pram type brat just ruined it for me ,it may have been smarter on Miike's part to cast American Born Yujioshi Ozawa in the lead instead of Ito
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engrish Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Question for Brickster ,Yoshino Kimura was born in the UK so her English should be perfect ,i saw her on the now defunct Masters Of Horror in Dream Cruise with Ryo Ishibashi and her English is fine (the rest of her is not bad either )maybe Miike should have had her narrate it .

She didn't have a lot of lines in the movie (she plays Shizuka, the love interest of just about everyone in the film), but her English seemed to be just as bad as everyone else's. Maybe Miike told her to keep it in line with the rest of the actors. Iseya Yusuku (Yoshitsune) is as clear as a bell-he's even easier to understand than Tarantino, who really lays on the western drawl with a trowel.
I have to admit, though, listening to Tarantino recite the opening paragraph from Heike Monogatari (one of, if not THE, best opening paragraph for any book, ever) hooked me into the movie from minute one.

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: DJANGO Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Beware the US Version ,New Line will release it and in true spaghetti western style will cut 25 minutes from it ,just like most of the great Spaghetti's of yore were butchered

Any word on whether they're gonna redub the Japanese actors?
I can also see New Line shootin' a new opening where they explain the whole "Taira-Minamoto" thing for American audiences as well-or cuttin' out everything that is a reference to it entirely.

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got my copy of Sukiyaki last night. I watched the first 10 or so minutes of it. I didn't want to push the stop button, but alas I had to go to sleep. I love the credits! Sukiyaki has to be my favorite japanese dish and to dive into a big portion of it like the credits did makes my mouth water. I can't wait to watch the film tonight!
reynardine
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Watched it last night. Clever idea, imperfectly executed. The odd English took a bit of getting used to, although it helped when Tarentino morphed into the altered speech during the prelude. (For me, it kinda got my ears used to the unusual cadence that the Japanese actors employed.)

LOVED the costumes and sets. Very cool blending of Old West and "Old Japan". There was a great use of color and surrealism.

Kiyomori really won me over with the War of the Roses/Henry VI fetish! That part was hilarious. Although I admit to some confusion, because at the end of Henry VI, the House of Lancaster (the Red Rose) is in tatters and the White Rose of York is triumphant. Either Miike didn't bother reading the play or Kiyomori is just that dumb.*

Well worth watching, although if they want an audience in America, they're going to have to subtitle it. In English.

*Historical note: the Red do win the War of the Roses (by way of Henry VII Tudor), but that part is not depicted in Shakespeare's Henry VI!

--Maria[/i]
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Brickster rescreened the original Italian 60's spaghetti western classic D'Jango yesterday just to see what references from it might pop up in Sukiyaki Western. There's the obvious ones like the mysterious coffin bein' drug around, to more interestin' ones like Major Jackson's men bein' outfitted in red like the Taira. On the whole, there's a lot less of 'em than I thought there would be. However, the ref at the end where the town lawman in 'Sukiyaki' gets his with a tombstone takes on a whole new dimension after seeing the last scene of D'Jango...

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: DJANGO Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:

Brick McBurly wrote:
Any word on whether they're gonna redub the Japanese actors?
I can also see New Line shootin' a new opening where they explain the whole "Taira-Minamoto" thing for American audiences as well-or cuttin' out everything that is a reference to it entirely.

Time Warner announced at the end of February that it will merge the New Line Cinema into Warner Bros. What exactly does the mean for "The house that Freddy built"? I do hope that Time Warner continues in the NLC tradition of releasing offbeat and independant films, but I do fear for the worst.

New Line's Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Robert Shaye and Michael Lynne have decided to leave the company and seek out other opportunities in the film industry. What exactly they plan on doing has yet to be announced. I truely hope that this does not negatively impact the future of The Hobbit films that were only recently given the greenlight as I am a huge LOTR fan.

Here is a link to their official statement on their website for any who are interested: http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1718092,00.html

As far as Sukiyaki is concerned, I loved it! I couldn't wait to watch it again right after I had finished watching it the first time. The sets and costumes blew me away. It had a fair bit more humor than I had anticipated, but it was done well. It inspired me to go find a copy of East Meets West with Nakadai Tatsuya and Sanada Hiroyuki.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, this was a very entertaining film. I really enjoyed it. But about the English-- I didn't struggle that much-- only had trouble with a couple of lines. I guess the reason I didn't have that much trouble is because I'm used to hearing English spoken kind of like that. After all, I live in Japan.

There are also funny hidden references in this film to other movie/TV shows that only Japanese audiences or even the most "sugoi" otaku of Japanese TV dramas would pick up on. These had Mrs. Obenjo laughing through-out the movie.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: DJANGO Reply with quote
The new faster paced edited version hits U.S. Theaters in August .
Quentin Tarantino is given star billing while Hideki Ito and Ando Masanobu not to mention Yoshino Kimura are not even listed on the poster .

Miike edited this himself to make it more of a fast paced action flick ,i guess its to early to tell but i liked it as it was ,it was like playing ''spot the Spaghetti Western Scene ".
All the voices have been dubbed over (though i had no problem with the original )
as we guessed would happen .
I think it was a mistake to chop 25 min's out but i guess we will have to check out the new version .
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Great Film Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, it rocked. I had the chance to see the movie in Kyoto last year, but the girl wanted to go the geisha house. The girl always win. A friend of mine had the movie and we had a blast. It reminds me of all the Clint Eastwood's western movies that were produced by Sergio Leone. It is a very good flick. It is worth the time.

Nobu-chan Nobunaga no Tame! www.ostuke.blogspot.com
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: DJANGO Reply with quote
Closer to Corbucci than Leone ,
Corbucci created Django and the Miike film is a great homage to the grim gritty spaghetti western made popular by Corbucci as an alternate to Leone's big budget epics (which he directed not produced ,Alberto Grimaldi was Leone's producer )
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to admit, there is a lot of Clint Eastwood in the movie. If you watch closely, there is lttle bit of Tuko there as well."Blondie" That is why I loved it. That is my opinion. I think my old man would like this flick. Thanks for the clear up. I do love Leone's flicks.

Nobu-chan
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobu chan, How did you get in to a geisha house/ teahouse? I can't get past the front gate and the people I know there are not in the right crowd. For the elite. I have seen the apprentice girls, 'maiko' but probably could not afford an evening with a true geisha. John
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh the geisha house. The girl wanted go and take photos of Gion. I wanted to watch the movie. But I lost. As for the houses, this is what one of the ladies told me. If you know somebody with connections, they might give you a quick tour of the place. But it was a good damn movie I missed. If I mislead you, I apologize. nobu-chan Nobunaga no tame!
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darn, I was going to ask for a letter of introduction. Sad John
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was reading a different forum and found some info on what has been cut from the US release of Sukiyaki.

*WARNING* Minor spoilers if you plan on watching the japanese release!

* Boss Kiyomori performing Shakespeare is missing
* The sheriff having hard time making a decision has been removed (this is before he goes totally nuts)
* The sex scene ends with Shizuka saying ”Love” and then cuts to the sunset pic. The scene runs longer in the JP version, and is followed by a short scene where Yoshitsune’s men are making plans concerning the ”special transportation”
* Scene showing problems with the ”special transportation” (before the attack) is missing
* Yoshitsune shooting Benkei, plus all the later related scenes (including the scene where Benkei comes onto Yoshitsune just before the final shootout), have been removed
* Gold digging scene missing

I've seen the japanese release and I prefer it, but the new chopped up release might not be too bad for your average american viewer. I did however find the whole Benkei scenario amusing and the psychosis (well the start of it) of the sheriff to be funny as well, too bad there are missing in the american release. I was hoping to buy the US bluray of it instead of spending the extra money on the more costly japanese bluray, looks like it's the japanese bluray for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: