Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Rashomon remake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Rashomon remake Reply with quote
Read it and weep. Ouch!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992608.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

They already remade it once, the tepid The Outrage (1964) starring Paul Newman, Edward G. Robinson, Laurence Harvey, Claire Bloom and a little fella named William Shatner.
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Count me out!

Les aka-nobu-chan

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rashomon remake Reply with quote
takuan wrote:
Read it and weep. Ouch!
Having a fit Curses! WTF?? Bring it on
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why the "outrage"? Just Kidding If they can remake Yojimbo (Fist Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing, plus a new jidai geki release coming starring Oda Yuji), Sanjuro (released last year starring Oda Yuji) and The Hidden Fortress (released in '07 as the Last Princess) why not Rashomon?

Heck, some people, probably even a couple of us who have posted in this thread thought it was absurd that they would remake Sanjuro, but they did, and I guess a lot of people thought it was acceptable. So we can complain all we want, but the remakes keep coming.

I have refused to watch the new Sanjuro remake and won't even bother with Last Princess. I'm trying to be a "purist"! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope they remake all of our beloved films! No seriously, if that's what it takes to get a serious chanbara revival going then I am all for it. I don't mind the idea of remakes. If I have enjoyed the original that much then I can simply choose to ignore the remake if I feel that strongly about it. Every new chanbara to hit the theaters could help bring about more of them in the future, especially if they make a good amount of money.

There are a lot of movie favorites of mine that are being remade in the coming years both in the US and in Japan. I'll study the trailers and judge by that if I really want to see the film or not.

Quite a few remakes come close to the originals or surpass them entirely. I say if they can bring a nice spin on the original source material then I am all for it. I'll wait until the film is closer to being released before I pass judgement on the remake.

When a remake has become popular the original gets much bigger spotlight than it ever had before. How many times have you seen things like "Ringu, the japanese film that The Ring was based on" or something like "Leprechaun, starring Jenifer Aniston of Friends" even though she was in Leprechaun many years before she ever did Friends or Brad Pitt? Perhaps with the possible success of the Rashomon remake we may see increased Kurosawa awareness and as a result see more of his films get high quality releases here if not more chanbara in general on both sides of the pond. One can hope.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My problem with the Rashomon remake is that the location is transferred from historical Japan to modern US. I have no problem with remaking a Japanese (or Hollywood) film in at least an approximation of its original time and setting. If this film turns out to be one based loosely on the theme of RASHOMON and doesn't try to use its exact script, then it might turn out OK.

Once in a while, a stricter adherence in a remake, reset to another time and place does work. Such as MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, which was based upon SEVEN SAMURAI. The thing is that the makers of MAGNIFICENT SEVEN never made a claim that their film was an exact remake of SEVEN SAMURAI. Rather, it was based quite closely upon SEVEN SAMURAI but featured changes according to cultures, times, and places.

I also don't have problems with films based on a theme featured in other films. For instance, there was a recent American film I found intriguing. It was VANTAGE POINT. This film was based on the theme of RASHOMON, not on the specific plot or setting. This film featured various viewpoints of a Presidential assasination. The film got mixed reviews from the critics, but I saw it twice and enjoyed it very much.

I've seen quite a few American films that loosely reference the theme of RASHOMON. And frequently, the scuttlebutt about such films does mention the original RASHOMON, the theme of presenting various and conflicting viewpoints of an event. It's not necessary to make an exact remake of RASHOMON in order to spark dialogue about Kurosawa.
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
I have refused to watch the new Sanjuro remake and won't even bother with Last Princess. I'm trying to be a "purist"! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'm with you, pal. I stopped listening to AC/DC after Bon Scott died! And Van Hagar? Forget about it.

Head banging

SicklyBug wrote:
When a remake has become popular the original gets much bigger spotlight than it ever had before.

I don't know that that's true. Contemporary audiences may have no awareness of or interest in the original, which might seem old-fashioned or unhip in comparison. How many people knew that the recent 3:10 to Yuma was a remake?

I'm reminded of the episode of Red Dwarf in which Lister laments a remake of Casablanca. "Philistines! The version with Myra Binglebat and Peter Beardsley was definitive!"

Laughing

Last edited by takuan on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
takuan wrote:

I don't know that that's true. Contemporary audiences may have no awareness of or interest in the original, which might seem old-fashioned or unhip in comparison. How many people knew that the recent 3:10 to Yuma was a remake?

When it comes to contemporary audiences who can explain what, when or why that they think or do not think the way they do? However, as an example, when The Ring was released on dvd Ringu finally saw a R1 release and thus became more available to the west because of the remake. I've seen this trend alot recently especially with regards to the j-horror that has been remade as of late. If it had not been for the remake Lycaena may have never seen Ringu, which now ranks up as one of her favorite movies.

As far as your standard audience knowing what is and isn't a remake, I suspect that the ignorance of the original is part of the reason to make a remake. If the original did well, but was made a generation or more ago then why not make more money off of it? I mean how many people out there know that Scarface was a remake? As soon as the remake becomes popular enough the studios have a tendancy to release the original and label it in such a way that it capitolizes upon the success of the remake, thus seeing more of a spotlight than before, especially in cases where the original didn't even have a DVD release.

When the Lord of the Rings films came out and became a major blockbuster, there also appeared a ton of dvds that releated to LotR. Had it not been for Peter Jackson's films we more than likely would not have had access to the multitude of documentries and older versions (animated etc) of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

This is what I mean by getting a spotlight, it really doesn't matter if the audience knows that it's a remake, but the movie companies sure do and they'll make a buck off of it every way they can, it is a business after all.
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SicklyBug wrote:
This is what I mean by getting a spotlight, it really doesn't matter if the audience knows that it's a remake, but the movie companies sure do and they'll make a buck off of it every way they can, it is a business after all.

I respect the pragmatism of your position. Nevertheless, a remake of a classic film will always rankle.

Boom!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: RASHOMON Reply with quote
Why the outrage indeed ?
This film has been remade many times ,there was a 1996 version with Bridget Fonda and Jeff Fahey (forget title )
Also Misty (1997 )starring Takeshi Kaneshiro and Yuki Amami ,despite coming off like a mass amount of dry humping in kimono's and foliage, set to a new age music score (the whole film could have been a 90 min Deep Forest Video )Misty kept the story intact .
Misty even came in two versions one as described above and the special saucy version that had mass amounts of heavy breathing and heaving cleavage added ,
The fighting was decent too ,while not a patch on the original it was a decent attempt to introduce the film to a new generation of moviegoers reared on J Pop idols .
At the same time Nikkatsu put out a lush pinku version which in turn was another stab at the same film they had re made 10 years prior .
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Show-off.

Japanese slapdown
BlueCollarRonin
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If anything I think the use of the word "remake" under the circumstances seems a bit of a misnomer since it would likely be a remake in the sense that the Magnificent Seven or A Fistful of Dollars were remakes of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo. I doubt the film will be Rashomon beyond the use of it as inspiration. In which case when I see it, I probably won't hold it in comparison to Rashomon the same as I would if it used the same script, setting and so-on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: