Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai documentary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine Phillips
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Samurai documentary Reply with quote
Hi there,

I'm an assistant producer with Diverse TV in the UK. We're hoping to make a documentary about Miyamoto Musashi’s life and wider Samurai culture in Japan in November. In terms of specifically martial arts, I'm currently looking for really interesting people (Japanese or otherwise) the presenter can meet in Japan who have incredible skills in specific martial arts/weapons which are linked to Samurai history and which they might be happy to demonstrate – and possibly teach.

If anyone knows anyone I should be talking to, please let me know! Any help or advice you could give me would be very much appreciated.

All the best.

Catherine
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cathrine,

When do plan to finish filming? Because if you only plan on doing so during November you have left yourself in somewhat of a tight spot. I do not mean to be rude, rather, I am just wandering how much I can assist you.

Jonah Matheson
ichibyoshi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alex Bennett of Kendo-World (www.kendo-world.com) has very good connections in the weapons arts, especially kendo, iaido and naginata. He is also a translator for the Nippon Budokan, so he has contact with a wide range of people outside his own arts.

Otherwise you should try posting this message at www.swordforum.com (go to the Japanese Swordsmanship subforum) or www.e-budo.com. Both those forums have a greater range of legit or high-level practitioners than this one (I don't know why that is...).

The two major associations of reputable martial arts are the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai. Any martial art that is not recognised by those two bodies MAY be legit, but you might also find yourself dealing with someone who made up their own style and is passing it off as 100s of years old. PM me and I can give you names of specific people to steer clear of.

In general, beware of anyone who claims mastery (or "soke") of more than two or three martial arts. Complete mastery of one can take a lifetime. Complete mastery of 9 martial arts? I'd say they're dreaming...

b
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Catherine, welcome to the boards!

I'm afraid I have to take some issue, although I think I generally agree with Ichibyoshi's implication, there are people who are 'menkyo-kaiden' (which, in the end, is only an inheritance away from being 'soke', which some have suggested may be an Edo period or later development, anyway) and have received 'full transmission' of multiple arts and are considered quite legitimate by the world at large. In *most* cases, however, these arts are ancillary to one another: e.g. look at Shinto Muso Ryu jojutsu, which is taught alongside Shinto Kasumi Ryu kenjutsu, Isshin Ryu kusarigamajutsu, Uchida Ryu tanjojutsu, Ikkaku Ryu juttejutsu, etc.

-Josh
ichibyoshi
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Point taken JL.

However I did say, "in general"... Smile

b
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, generally speaking, I agree with you. Anyone who makes the claim, well, it would start to throw up red flags. Might be legit, but my BS senses would start to tingle...

-Josh
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
Might be legit, but my BS senses would start to tingle...

In the comics, when Peter Parker's "spider senses" tingle, he is shown with half his face covered in the Spidey mask.

I'd hate to see how you were drawn if your "BS senses" are tingling... Wink

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: