Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Nemuri legit rerelease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Nemuri legit rerelease Reply with quote
It looks like the first 4 Nemuri movies staring Raizo are getting a DVD release from Animeigo. There isn't a lot of details yet, but I would imagine that they will use the newly remastered prints that have been released in japan recently. I've seen the remastered prints and they look awesome to say the least.

I just hope they title them as Nemuri Kyoshiro rather than the silly name Sleepy Eyes of Death.

Official info located here: http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/SLEEPY.t
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to see you back, Bug. You've been missed. And I'm glad to see you've come back with some excellent news. I can't wait to get my hands on these LEGIT DVDs. I've also seen the remastered prints in Japan and the quality is amazing.

Thanks again for the good news!

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first movie in the Nemuri Kyoshiro series (The Chinese Jade) - which I have to admit I've never seen before. It was really good BUT I was in the mood for some nihilistic debauchery, and it did not deliver. What's up with that? He came across more like an aloof sociopathic slacker that thinks a little too highly of himself than a sadistic evil killer which I was led to expect Huh?

Again, I liked it, but it wasn't what I had expected. Do the movies get darker as they go along?

By the way, the color and image quality on my widescreen HD tv was stunning. The Animeigo DVD release looks great.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is one of my favourite series and I have watched many over and over. My take on his character is; because of his birth (mother raped by priest in Black Mass ceremony ) he has no tolerance for hypocrits, he much prefers someone to be wrong, but, steadfast in their convictions, not swaying to and fro as the wind blows conveniently. He also despises those in power abusing their positions, be they man or woman. He is the consumate example of discipline and his Full Moon style of sword play is his extension of that. Like all antiheroes he is attractive to women and has no problem taking his pleasure with them and does develop friendships with them, as well as, others he respects for their moral code. He is not psychopathic, but, uncompromising. John
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
I just finished watching the first movie in the Nemuri Kyoshiro series (The Chinese Jade) - which I have to admit I've never seen before. It was really good BUT I was in the mood for some nihilistic debauchery, and it did not deliver. What's up with that? He came across more like an aloof sociopathic slacker that thinks a little too highly of himself than a sadistic evil killer which I was led to expect Huh?

Again, I liked it, but it wasn't what I had expected. Do the movies get darker as they go along?

By the way, the color and image quality on my widescreen HD tv was stunning. The Animeigo DVD release looks great.

What, you haven't read the two in-depth reviews of these films ON YOUR OWN BLOG?!?!?! Just Kidding Laughing Razz

Anyway, "The Chinese Jade" is indeed considered to be the tamest and most mainstream of the Nemuri Kyoshiro series. It gets pretty nasty around #4 and the last four in the series are really bizarre.

Just remember, they were made in the classic age of samurai films in the 60's and aren't going to have the level of violence and sexual explicitness that started up in the 70's (for that, check out the Hanzo The Razor trilogy and all Toei's torture-pinku films) in both samurai and yakuza films-and nothing along the lines of a Miike film.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:

What, you haven't read the two in-depth reviews of these films ON YOUR OWN BLOG?!?!?! Just Kidding Laughing Razz

Anyway, "The Chinese Jade" is indeed considered to be the tamest and most mainstream of the Nemuri Kyoshiro series. It gets pretty nasty around #4 and the last four in the series are really bizarre.

Well, I didn't want to ruin it so I only quickly glanced over the 2nd DVD set review, and got as far as Kyoshiro randomly cutting down an unarmed woman and figured it was good to go Just Kidding I did read the review for the first DVD set after I watched the DVD, which explained it, guess I just expected a little more in the bad guy front. But it was definitely good, regardless. And I'm still really impressed with the picture. I would credit my HDTV, but a lot of dvds just look dull on it, and this one really popped, great lighting and color. It definitely gets my stamp of approval. Just not what I was expecting when I put it in the DVD player.

wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: NEMURI Reply with quote
Legit non Legit do not really care ,what does bug me is Animeigo seem incapable or clueless about finding a Jidai film that most Samurai Film Fans have not seen before ,why do they not pick up something like Gion Matsuri or Flames Of Blood (forget the JP Title )?.

Still its good to have the Nemuri stuff ,it should be released because in about a year Samurai Night Fever will return with the impending 47 Ronin so it is good to get the stuff out ,my complaint is just personal frustration .

On the subject of missing the Palanquin , why do Animeigo not pick up new films like Sakurada Mon No Hen or Hissiken Toriashi or Yamazakura ?.Not to mention Jirocho No Shimizu (2008),Cha Cha and that recent Nobunaga Film .

For those of us with no scruples on the Legit/Non Legit issue and really this is not a barb each to their own do not care if people pop for either ,the Nemuri Tv Series is out and subbed, this is the 70's series not that lame Tamura series .
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Just not what I was expecting when I put it in the DVD player.

Yeah, I can see that. I had the same experience with Lone Wolf & Cub. I was expecting a hyper-violent extreme gorefest and found it to be pretty mild by comparison to most of the splatter movies I was watching (although a much more interesting and better film than I had been expecting).
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: NEMURI Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Legit non Legit do not really care ,what does bug me is Animeigo seem incapable or clueless about finding a Jidai film that most Samurai Film Fans have not seen before ,why do they not pick up something like Gion Matsuri or Flames Of Blood (forget the JP Title )?.

On the subject of missing the Palanquin , why do Animeigo not pick up new films like Sakurada Mon No Hen or Hissiken Toriashi or Yamazakura ?.Not to mention Jirocho No Shimizu (2008),Cha Cha and that recent Nobunaga Film .

Jus' business is all. Having a legit company that pays licensing fees, has overhead and employees, has dependable customer service and that produces DVD's that don't have a 25% failure-to-play ratio like the grey market guys means they can't really take a chance on 'minor' but good titles, especially if they don't have a recognizable star or main character. One disastrous release can put a company that's already got a thin profit margin into bankruptcy. And of course, as much as we all hate to believe it, the market for jidaigeki films in the US is exceedingly small.

Unfortunately, the modern stuff doesn't seem to sell like the classic stuff. I don't think Semishigure did too well for Animeigo despite the fact it was a fantastic film. Funimation or Tokyo Shock will likely get around to some of those films eventually-I never thought we'd see Goemon or Ichi over here, but here they are on Blu-ray.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: wish list Reply with quote
yes do not get me wrong i support these releases ,just havin a moan an groan !.
I still think there are a bunch of great unseen films that even the grey boys wont touch because they are scared they will not sell however Eigo could do a great job getting them out there .

I imagine all the new films i mentioned are a lot more expensive than the old chestnuts as well ,Sadly that Jirocho film was picked up by Tokyo Schlock and retitled Samurai Gangsters than they canned it ditto Warner and his Bros with Saigo No Chushingura retitled The Last Ronin than dumped like an unwanted Bride .
In a way thats a worse crime than not picking them up for release because it kills it for companys that would do a good job with them like Eigo.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just watched "Sword of Adventure", not as good as the first one, but not bad at all. Nemuri Kyoshiro seems to have broken my 5 year Samurai-Eiga celibacy. Samurai movies are fun again!!

Party time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: