Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Yagyu Nobuharu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Yagyu Nobuharu Reply with quote
For anyone that did not know, Yagyu Nobuharu Toshimichi the 21st soke of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu passed away the morning of May the 4 at age 88. He was a highly regarded swordsmen for his skill and the legacy he left behind.

He will be greatly missed.

Jonah Matheson
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was there a successor studying with him or did everything went chaotic?
Mike Melillo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In case you were still interested, here's some information on the recent events in YSR and the transition:
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37738
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike,

Welcome to the board. Glad to finally see a Yagyu Shinkage ryu member here. I look forward to your addition to our koryu conversations.

Jonah Matheson
Mike Melillo
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Jonah. Looking forward to many informative discussions on this forum!

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike Melillo wrote:
In case you were still interested, here's some information on the recent events in YSR and the transition:

Thank you for the information. I'm extremely busy these past month, and therefore "out of the loop".

I'm rather surprised to see a new soke of that age though. Is it common in Yagyu Shinkage ryu to name older soke?
Most of the ko-ryu I know of skip a generation so that the new soke is in his mid-thirties or so.
Josh Reyer
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Baian wrote:
Mike Melillo wrote:

Thank you for the information. I'm extremely busy these past month, and therefore "out of the loop".

I'm rather surprised to see a new soke of that age though. Is it common in Yagyu Shinkage ryu to name older soke?
Most of the ko-ryu I know of skip a generation so that the new soke is in his mid-thirties or so.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but since the article that I translated was referenced here, I thought I'd just address this question.

"Older" or "younger" don't really have much to do with it. The headmastership has passed down from father to qualified son in the Owari Yagyu family, or to qualified lords of Owari-han. Nobuharu-sensei had no children, so Koichi-sensei, as a long-time practitioner and direct descendant of Yagyu Sekishusai in the Owari Yagyu line, was the obvious choice. His age is probably in his favor, as it allowed him to take early retirement and devote himself fully to the ryu. Being soke is essentially his job right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: