Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Does anyone know what this scene depicts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know what this scene depicts? Reply with quote

A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The artist is Kuniyoshi Utagawa and is prior to 1840 if that helps~A
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The title is 高祖御一代略圖 -- Kôso goichidai ryakuzu ("Rough sketch of the founder of the dynasty first generation").

But beyond that... I got squat. Wink

Tony
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This print is part of a series usually called something like "Scenes from the Life of the Priest Nichiren" in English, and as the title suggests it depicts the various trials and tribulations of Nichiren's life as well as the miracles he was responsible for.

This print's title is 相州龍之口御難 (Soushuu Tatsunokuchi Go-nan), which works out to be something like "The Hardship at Tatsunokuchi, Soushuu." Soushuu is another name for Sagami, now part of Kanagawa prefecture.

In 1271 Nichiren (the kneeling priest in the print) was arrested for being critical of the Bakufu and other religious sects and taken to Tatsunokuchi, where he was to be executed. Just in the nick of time he was saved by divine intervention: a spherical light that shined like the moon floated past, terrifying his executioners. Some accounts also have the executioners' swords breaking magically, but that bit isn't mentioned in Nichiren's own account.

Incidentally, there's a temple at the site of this event, called Ryuukouji (龍口寺).
A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm !Shocked Facinating! Thank you so much! I think I will keep this one.~A
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Just in the nick of time he was saved by divine intervention: a spherical light that shined like the moon floated past, terrifying his executioners.

Nichiren saved by alien explorers !!! Shocked Very Happy Wink

A.L.Mundell wrote:
Hmm !Shocked Facinating!

Fascinating indeed, Captain ! Wink
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Akaguma wrote:
Nichiren saved by alien explorers !!!

I kinda like the idea that it was ball lightning, myself. Wink
A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Akaguma wrote:

While it is always speculation in the absence of any evidence what unidentified celestial phenomena may have been it is certainly true that such things have been reported and even painted since man began scraping ash onto cave walls.

The condition to form ball lightning is very rare. When it does form, it is highly unstable and never lasts long.

On the other hand, Einstein's famous equation is a universal speed limit. That is, the closer you travel to light speed, the closer you get to an infinite amount of energy needed to get to the speed of light.

If you can put into scale our galaxy is the size of a city and our solar sysyem the size of a speck of dust; our light speed radio waves since we began broadcasting 60+/- years ago is not much bigger than a bubble the size of a marble around our dust speck. It seems unlikely that visitors would drop by for a day visit.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that these two possibilites merit further study and both subjects are facinating, I always watch the sky.

~A
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Akaguma wrote:

I've always been of the inclination to think of the Tatsunokuchi fireball as perhaps a manifestation of the Taurid Meteor Shower, which is known to be an "elderly" variety. The older meteor showers often contain large chunks and fireballs as they break up. According to an article in Space.com, the Taurids show up around mid-October to mid-November. Would that date, when converted to the old calendar, coincide with Sept. 12? It seems pretty close. Or is this date (Sept. 12, 1271) already converted? I always get confused with this sort of thing. Not trying to turn this into an X-File or anything... Laughing
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
onnamusha wrote:
Ashigaru wrote:
Akaguma wrote:

I've always been of the inclination to think of the Tatsunokuchi fireball as perhaps a manifestation of the Taurid Meteor Shower, which is known to be an "elderly" variety. The older meteor showers often contain large chunks and fireballs as they break up. According to an article in Space.com, the Taurids show up around mid-October to mid-November. Would that date, when converted to the old calendar, coincide with Sept. 12? It seems pretty close. Or is this date (Sept. 12, 1271) already converted? I always get confused with this sort of thing. Not trying to turn this into an X-File or anything... Laughing

Scully, that's rational and inspired!
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
onnamusha wrote:
According to an article in Space.com, the Taurids show up around mid-October to mid-November. Would that date, when converted to the old calendar, coincide with Sept. 12? It seems pretty close. Or is this date (Sept. 12, 1271) already converted? I always get confused with this sort of thing. Not trying to turn this into an X-File or anything... Laughing

文永八年九月十二日(1271.9.12) = Oct. 17, 1271 http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/geschichte-japans/nengo_calc.htm
As to whether Sept 12 is already converted, people's not being clear on this matter is my pet peeve. Very Happy But according to the J-Wiki article, the event happened in the ninth month, so it is apparently not converted.
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bethetsu wrote:
onnamusha wrote:
According to an article in Space.com, the Taurids show up around mid-October to mid-November. Would that date, when converted to the old calendar, coincide with Sept. 12? It seems pretty close. Or is this date (Sept. 12, 1271) already converted? I always get confused with this sort of thing. Not trying to turn this into an X-File or anything... Laughing

文永八年九月十二日(1271.9.12) = Oct. 17, 1271 http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/geschichte-japans/nengo_calc.htm
As to whether Sept 12 is already converted, people's not being clear on this matter is my pet peeve. Very Happy But according to the J-Wiki article, the event happened in the ninth month, so it is apparently not converted.

Wow, Bethetsu! Thanks! That's one of the most useful links I've had in a long time! bow As a relative newbie, I always have this free-floating uncertainty regarding dates, because of this necessary conversion. Most of the scholarly books make it clear what calendar they're using and why, but I do end up wondering when I consult online sources without the all-important introductory explanation.

And as far as Japanese X-Files go, Arthur, check out this Myspace page for a big long list: http://www.myspace.com/113338437 Of course, the type is terribly small and runs together with many various sightings included (it is in a column at the left side of the page); the sources aren't attributed or anything, but just the fact that someone took the time to catalog a bunch of UFO sightings in medieval Japan is interesting!

Oh yes, a last note on the Taurids: there is a less than one day per century drift of the time of this shower, so if I recall correctly, it would have occurred earlier in the year centuries ago than it does now, probably by about a week.
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the site, Bethetsu-dono !
bow
It will be very useful for me too !!!!
A.L.Mundell
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried to be objectional about the subject . My own personal feeling are less than scientific Wink
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
onnamusha wrote:
Thanks! That's one of the most useful links I've had in a long time!
I'm glad it is useful. There is more on the Japanese calendar in the article in the SA Wiki http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Japanese_calendar, including some extra information on using the Tübingen site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: