Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Cannery Ship/ Kani Kosen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: The Cannery Ship/ Kani Kosen Reply with quote
Has anyone read this?
http://tinyurl.com/auzllo

Ashigaru?

The novel was written in 1929 and has recently had an extraordinary revival. This article by Norma Field gives the background.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't read the book, but I have spotted it on the shelves recently. The article you linked to was certainly interesting. Judging from Amazon reviews the book's content does seem to be resonating with some people (anxiety about the economy certainly seems to be driving the bestseller list), but I doubt there'll be much in the way of long-term impact, especially in terms of politically motivating the nation's youth.

In two weeks there'll be another book that everyone's reading. Probably something involving a talented puppy, that seems to be the way of things.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked some of the vocabulary: rosu jene and gosu rori - the sort of katakana words that completely baffle me when I meet them in articles.

Quote:
In two weeks there'll be another book that everyone's reading. Probably something involving a talented puppy, that seems to be the way of things.

such cynicism Just Kidding Shocked
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
I liked some of the vocabulary: rosu jene and gosu rori - the sort of katakana words that completely baffle me when I meet them in articles.

Don't feel left out, a lot of Japanese people have trouble keeping up with the lingo as well. Smile

It's been mentioned on the forum before, but the list of the year's most popular words and phrases released by Jiyuu Kokuminsha (2008's version with commentary can be found here) is a fun look at the latest neologisms. It also serves as a handy barometer of how in tune with Japanese pop culture you are.

Quote:
such cynicism

Am I wrong? Trendiness + political disinterest in the nation's youth makes me skeptical that there'll be any long-term results. As much as it would tickle me to see the rise of an Industrial Reserve Army composed of communist goth-lolis. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: