Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Empress Oyamatomeko Sumera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sima Qian
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Empress Oyamatomeko Sumera? Reply with quote
Oh boy, its been ages since i've been on.

Quick question to ye sages of Ancient Japanese History - does the name in the subject heading ring any bells?

I heard it in the context of a Norito, however i am unsure of its origin (or if i recorded the transliteration into Romanji correctly).
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That appears to be a title for the emperor in the old days:

"Oyamato" is "Great Yamato"

"meko" = "miko"? Miko is "honorable child," usually a child of the emperor or imperial lineage.

"sumera" = 皇, which is the second character of Tennou, and is the term for the emperor. Usually followed by "mikoto."

So I'd say that this is the "Imperial Offspring of Great Yamato", loosely. Or just "the emperor" (or empress). Hard to say without more context.

Which norito is it, do you know? Many of the norito have their roots in the early Heian or Nara periods, if not earlier.

-Josh
Sima Qian
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry Josh, I don't - i'm working of a fuzzy recording played by an acquaintance via long distance. I'll email him for more context since i'm rather curious at this point.

Though frankly i'd prefer to see the Kanji Wink .
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe "Oyamato Sumera no Mikoto" is a fairly standard term for emperor or empress. "Miko" is used for honorable child. You also see "neko" quite a lot for "root child"; a common element of the names of members of the Imperial lineage. I believe Ooms discusses this in his monograph on symbolism and the Temmu dynasty.

I don't think I've heard "meko" but I wouldn't rule it out. If you can get more of the norito, or information about it, that could help. Also, as I recall, a lot of times the first mora is silent, or at least not very audible, at the start of the section of a norito. I've heard discussions about this as an actual part of the practice, and it may affect what you hear, so if you hear a pause, just realize there may be something you aren't catching.

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: