Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Musashi-Seimei Shrine in Fukui Prefecture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sima Qian
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Musashi-Seimei Shrine in Fukui Prefecture? Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that the last Onmyodo shrine in Japan was the one devoted to Abe No Seimei in Kyoto.

However, due a rather intriguing circumstance, i heard of another located in Natashou, Fukui Prefecture.

In another thread on this website, i asked about the works of a mystery writer by the name of Natsuhiko Kyogoku:

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=4047

One of his main characters is an antiquarian bookseller who happens to be an Onmyodo scholar. Very Happy

In his second volume, Moryo no Hako, there is a sustained discussion about the origins of Moryo and a tidbit about the existence of another Onmyodo shrine.

Part of the discussion is reflected in the anime version of the novel for those who might be entertained by such things:

http://www.watch-anime.org/mouryou-no-hako-episode-06/

(Pertinent discussion begins around 4:10 in the video)

Episodes 6,7,8,10 are chock full of Yokai/Esoteric folklore. Frankly, i'm rather impressed.

More to the point: the character in question makes reference to a "Musashi-Seimei" Shrine at Natashou.

Now, i know that Natashou was once part of the lands that comprised Wakasa. I also know that Tsuchimikado family (AKA: the Abe Clan, one of the two families whose descendants comprised the staff of the Onmyodo bureau)quit the capital sometime between the years of 1520-1545 and settled in Wakasa until the death of the last Kamo Clan heir in Kyoto.

So, it wouldn't be too surprising to hear that an Onymodo shrine exists on the former real estate of the Tsuchimikado.

Is there a grain of truth to this story? Does the shrine still exist? Or is this simply a fictional turn?

And who is enshrined at the shrine?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it is fair to call Seimei Jinja the "last Onmyodo shrine," because elements of onmyodo are common throughout Japan in various Shinto practices. Look at the fuda, the colors, directions, and even the calendars that the shrines regularly produce.

I didn't find anything in particular on tracking down the Musashi-Seimei jinja (other than accounts associated with the fictional series), although it appears to be referred to as the "Musashi Seimei Sha"

I did find photos of other "Seimei Sha", so there are probably more out there. I believe there is something down in Abenobashi in Osaka, where there are also ties (I think some legends claim Seimei was born in or around Abenobashi, though the similarity of names could be completely coincidental).

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: