Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Buddhist-Cribbage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renzaburo
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Buddhist-Cribbage Reply with quote
This is about Cribbage but it also concerns Buddhism, so I post it here in the religion section.

Does anybody else here play Buddhist-Cribbage? It is the old game of Cribbage modified and adapted to teach Buddhist principles. When I introduced it at a local Cribbage club, it did not appeal to anybody. Evidently, Buddhist-Cribbage won't appeal to anyone unless the Cribbage player is also a Buddhist in that it takes a particular mind-set, a particular spiritual attitude to appreciate this version.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, with an intro like that--any information on it for those who don't know what you're talking about?

-Josh
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read many Buddhist books and Buddhist websites but I have never heard of Buddhist cribbage. But I have never played regular cribbage either.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I googled Buddhist Cribbage and a similar message to this has been posted on a few forums. One had a warning that googling the phrase set off firewall alarms for him. (I am a bit paranoid about cyber crime at the moment Shocked ) Maybe you could tell us some more about it and reassure me Very Happy

I used to play Cribbage with my mother - maybe she was a Buddhist as she always let me win. Very Happy
Renzaburo
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the post from Heron, he came very close to the principles of Buddhist-Cribbage when he said that his partner let him win. Almost but not quite. Because in Buddhist-Cribbage, both players help each other. That's why in Buddhist-Cribbage, the pegging on the wooden board is done differently from the standard version. In other words, only a single track is used. The cards are dealt differently too, so Nobody loses.

As a result, there is No pride. Instead,it is mu-shin (no mind).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: