Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Which one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tonight I am watching the 2004 film The Hidden Blade. Since this movie had several Japanese Academy Award nominations, I guess I won't have the same type of entertainment that I had with LW&C and Shogun's Ninja. Smile

Google+
Matsuhide
Bamboo Spearman
Bamboo Spearman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Watched the second Hanzo film today; definitely not as good as the first. Not much new content shock-wise, mostly rehash from the first...
We'll see about the third.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matsuhide wrote:
Watched the second Hanzo film today; definitely not as good as the first. Not much new content shock-wise, mostly rehash from the first...
We'll see about the third.

I'm going to have to find the Hanzo films somewhere. I wonder if a small Japanese video rental store in Little Tokyo might have those?

Google+
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
Tonight I am watching the 2004 film The Hidden Blade. Since this movie had several Japanese Academy Award nominations, I guess I won't have the same type of entertainment that I had with LW&C and Shogun's Ninja. Smile

I hope you liked it. I love that film. I discovered - after returning here after a long absence and reading Galloway's 2nd book's that it's a part of a trilogy - The Twilight Samurai (which is at this time my all time favorite samurai movie. I can't help but watch it over and over again.), the Hidden Blade, and Love and Honor. How I missed Love and Honor, I do not know, but it is on order at this moment.

If you did like Hidden Blade, I cannot recommend The Twilight Samurai highly enough.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't know it was part of a trilogy. I did like Hidden Blade so I will have to look for the others. Which one is the first and second in the trilogy?

Google+
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The plots of the films Twilight Samurai, The Hidden Blade, and Love and Honor are not related or intertwined. Although I listed them in order of release, you can watch them in any sequence. The only things that bind this trio of films together are that the stories are by Fujisawa Shuhei and the films are directed by Yamada Yoji.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Obenjo. I think I will watch Twilight Samurai next weekend and something else.

Google+
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would recommend any entry in the "Lady Ninja Kaede" series. It's one of my current fav'rits!

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gee Brick, weren't you a "sekrit" extra in the first Lady Ninja Kaede flick?

Haven't gotten around to seeing this one or the Lady Ninja Kasumi movies. How does it compare to Bohatchi Bushido?

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Gee Brick, weren't you a "sekrit" extra in the first Lady Ninja Kaede flick?

Haven't gotten around to seeing this one or the Lady Ninja Kasumi movies. How does it compare to Bohatchi Bushido?

Well, seein' as how they were made for a different studio I ain't under contract to, it'd have to be real sekrit if I didn't want to get fired by my father-in-law...like, maybe, the role of a daimyo wearin' a head wrap with black tabi about 20 minutes in Wink

Nothin', and I do mean NOTHIN', comes close to Bohachi Bushido. It's the top of the cinematic mountain. But the Kasumi and Kaede films are pleasant enough ways to kill off an hour or so as long as you don't expect peripheral stuff like good actin', a plot, or production values. Some of these types of films are hilarious as hell, too (intentionally), like 'Vixen Drop-outs'.

Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brick McBurly wrote:
I would recommend any entry in the "Lady Ninja Kaede" series. It's one of my current fav'rits!

Is it fair to say that you have an interesting taste in samurai flicks Mr. McBurley? Razz

I'm not sure my wife would appreciate the Lady Ninja Kaede movies but since she's out of town... Wink

Google+
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not watched Love and Honor yet. B ut between Hidden Blade and Twilight Samurai, I feel Twilight Samurai is superior by a small margin.

Maikeru
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
maikeruart wrote:
I have not watched Love and Honor yet. B ut between Hidden Blade and Twilight Samurai, I feel Twilight Samurai is superior by a small margin.

Maikeru

I know this puts me in a very small minority, but I was absolutlely bored when I watched The Hidden Blade. I watched Hidden Blade just a few days after seeing The Twilight Samurai and felt that Hidden Blade was far too close story wise to Twilight Samurai that I did not enjoy it. I feel Twilight Samurai is vastly superior to Hidden blade, but that could also be attributed to the fact that I think Hiroyuki has matured into a very fine actor since his JAC days.
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SicklyBug wrote:
I watched Hidden Blade just a few days after seeing The Twilight Samurai and felt that Hidden Blade was far too close story wise to Twilight Samurai that I did not enjoy it. I feel Twilight Samurai is vastly superior to Hidden blade, but that could also be attributed to the fact that I think Hiroyuki has matured into a very fine actor since his JAC days.

I am curious how you relate the two stories. For me, they were two totally different stories. I agree that Hidden Blade was not as profound as Twilight Samurai, but I don't see anything in common between them.

I also wonder what everyone thinks of the two fights in Twilight Samurai. I understand about choreography and such but I was much moved by how these particular two fights were filmed. They seemed to me to be much more realistic than any other I've seen.

Not ever having witnessed a real sword fight or having any experience in wielding a sword, how do these come off from the forum's point of view? Whatever anyone says, it will not spoil my absolute enjoyment of those two segments. I thought they were fantastic.
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still not sure if I liked When the Last Sword is Drawn, that seemed a bit more like Twilight Samurai.
Hiro Katsumoto
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey everyone, not to put the conversation off topic but I recently found a website that sells samurai movies and it's got a whole bunch of titles and I was wondering if anyone uses it and if so, what movies have you bought that are good? The site is called kurotokagi.com. I want more samurai movies than just the four I have from the "Shogun Collection".
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That site has been talked to death before and is mentioned as a reliable source for gray market DVD releases. We list this vendor and others in the announcement thread introducing the Samurai Film Forum. http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=2916

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dennis wrote:
I am curious how you relate the two stories. For me, they were two totally different stories. I agree that Hidden Blade was not as profound as Twilight Samurai, but I don't see anything in common between them.

It's been a long time since I watched them both back to back, but I recall feeling a great deal of disappointment after watching Hidden Blade. From what I recall both characters in Twilight and Hidden were samurai that we were made to feel sorry for and who were forced to fight a member of their own clan. When two films by the same director have this main plot element and are released not all that long from each other, it ends up being too similar for my tastes.

A lot of chanbara/jidai geki use a lot of the same themes, but when I watched Hidden Blade I felt like Yoji didn't quite make the film he wanted to with Twilight Samurai and he wanted to use the same plot framework and try it again. Kind of reminded me of Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2, different movies but very similar. Don't get me wrong, if I had a nickle for each version of Makai Tensho or Chusingura I have seen, I could go buy us all a cup of coffee.

Perhaps if both films weren't directed by Yoji or if I had seen them a great deal of time from each other I wouldn't have felt that way.
Dennis
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SicklyBug wrote:
From what I recall both characters in Twilight and Hidden were samurai that we were made to feel sorry for and who were forced to fight a member of their own clan. When two films by the same director have this main plot element and are released not all that long from each other, it ends up being too similar for my tastes.

Ah, right. yes, the basic plot is exactly the same pretty much. I sort of over-looked that aspect. I was thinking more along the lines of one film being about a lower class samurai just trying to raise his family and the other about an upper class samurai living true to bushido.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished watching Twilight Samurai and I liked it better then Hidden Sword. Sad ending. It was a more emotional movie then Hidden Sword.

Google+
Matsuhide
Bamboo Spearman
Bamboo Spearman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention that I watched the third "Razor" film a couple weeks ago and definitely thought it was better than the second, though still not as good as the first. It's got a fun opening "ghost" scene (very "Scooby-Doo"); and while it, like the second, doesn't offer much new aside from some new villains etc. (and an encounter with an old friend of Hanzo's), it doesn't take itself as seriously as the first two, so there's a bit of self-satirization from time to time that breaks up the monotony.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I watched Baby Cart at the River Styx. Pretty sick. The female ninjas slicing and dicing the other ninja was grotesque. And the final fight scenes at the sand dunes was crazy. The guys head gettin cut in half from the top was crazy.

This movie had some of the grossest movie scenes I've seen. I liked it. Twisted Evil

Google+
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matsuhide wrote:
Just wanted to mention that I watched the third "Razor" film a couple weeks ago and definitely thought it was better than the second, though still not as good as the first. It's got a fun opening "ghost" scene (very "Scooby-Doo"); and while it, like the second, doesn't offer much new aside from some new villains etc. (and an encounter with an old friend of Hanzo's), it doesn't take itself as seriously as the first two, so there's a bit of self-satirization from time to time that breaks up the monotony.

Each of the three Razor films has something special and unique. The first film features the "cock cam" -- never seen anything like it before or since. The second film is the darkest, extremely kinky and sacrilegious (directed by auteur Yasuzo Masumura). The third film is the funniest. Therefore you kinda need the box set.

Tornadoes28 wrote:
I watched Baby Cart at the River Styx. Pretty sick. The female ninjas slicing and dicing the other ninja was grotesque. And the final fight scenes at the sand dunes was crazy. The guys head gettin cut in half from the top was crazy.

For my money, that's the best film in the series. Two thumbs up

Hiro Katsumoto wrote:
I recently found a website that sells samurai movies and it's got a whole bunch of titles and I was wondering if anyone uses it and if so, what movies have you bought that are good? The site is called kurotokagi.com.

Great site, guy that runs it is a stand-up dude. Overabundance of Toei films from the late 50s/early 60s, but hey, that's his thing. Pore over the offerings there and you'll be rewarded. Also good: Far East Flix.

Modern Sammyrai
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: FAREASTFLIX Reply with quote
And he (FAR EAST )has "BEAUTY EVIL ROSE "forget all this Lady Ninja stuff ,this is the real deal and what a rare film .
Words will fail me on this except to say see it ,but if bloodshed and nudity are not your thing than stay well away .

As an endorsement no less than Oliver Stone raved about this film in the early 90's as such i traversed Chinatown for a few years until a vhs boot came to my grubby paws and it was worth the wait .
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: LW & C: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons Reply with quote
Just watched #5, one more to go tomorrow. Among the first 5, this one was was my least favorite. BUT, it still kicked ass. I have to say I love these LW&C movies.

Even though Ogami has a big barrel of a belly, he still kicks ass. His ass kicking reminds me of the Kill Bill scene where she slaughters the dozens of attackers at that Tokyo club (By the way, do the Kill Bill flicks qualify as Samuarai flicks?).

#5 seemed to be more on the political intrigue type story. The final fight scene kicked ass and was what reminded me of Kill Bill.

Google+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: