Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Does Rosetta Stone really work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No they're not online. Maybe that's the problem.

One thing that really frustrated me was that my status was constantly being erased for some reason. I had to redo multiple lessons. I'm sure doing it online would have avoided that.
jdmcowan
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have used Rosetta Stone in the past and currently use LiveMocha. The two are very similar in how they work. The two big differences being that LiveMocha is free and it has a lot of errors.

One of the features that LiveMocha adds is a bit of a mixed blessing, but I like it. Users can add a "tip" to each entry. So, though the program itself does not explain the grammar, the tips often do. The reason this is a mixed blessing is that there are also a lot of incorrect and unhelpful tips. But users can also vote on tips so you just ignore the bad ones and read the good ones carefully.

Something that really annoys me is that the Speak (reading) portions of each lesson often include kanji that were not introduced in the lesson (or earlier ones). Its obvious that they just took the English phrases and asked Japanese speakers to translate them. But it looks like they had different people translate the Learn portion of the lesson and the Speak portion of the lesson, so they use different words.

The thing I most like about it is that when you make a mistake you can get advice from native speakers. Then you can "friend" the speakers that are most helpful and email or even (text) chat with them.

For the price, it's pretty amazing. But I think it would be almost impossible to use it to learn Japanese from scratch without other materials.
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the Rosetta Stone review. I had thought about getting it in the past but will make sure to avoid it now.

I found Japanese For Busy People very good to introduce me to learning the language, rather than a few phrases. But as has been said, the best thing to do is to get lessons if you're not in Japan.
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^^ I'm not saying Rosetta Stone won't work for you, but it didn't help me at all. I did take the advice of everyone when I first started this thread and sought out lessons.

I've been taking private lessons now for about 6 months and I'll be enrolling as a non-degree seeking student at USF in the Spring to take some formal classes.

I'm planning on entering grad school in August so I hope to have a better understanding of the language by then.

edit: Also, as far as audio cd's go, I found the instant immersion collection that I mentioned earlier to be more helpful than Rosetta Stone. I just listen to those each night before I go to bed. It seems to help a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: