Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Kabuto/Mempo,what would you pay?who offers repair services?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoshinsa
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Kabuto/Mempo,what would you pay?who offers repair services? Reply with quote
Offered for sale,see four pictures at: http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/steibls200/worth%20repairing/

What would you pay?

Is there anyone who offers repair of the lacing?

Would it be worthwhile to have this repair done?
Twilight Disciple
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am buying neglected and damaged armor for repair. I only do this with parts that are sold as junk, and are in horribbe condition. Some of it salvagable, but I usually buy two pieces and will try to restore the better of the two with parts of the other. This is practical only when the laquer is to be done over. When laquer is old, it gets brittle and will break when the lacing is removed. I almost have enough pieces to attempt a full armor restoration, but I will use a recent kabuto for this. I have not tried using urushi yet and will practice on a few fragments first.

In my opinion, I would not attempt any repair on this piece. If it is an Edo piece of leather, I think no repair is possible. If it is iron the laquer will flake. It stands in its existant condition, assuming it is not a fake. I think restoration will actually lower the value.

Just my opinion.

Ralph
goldendragon
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: restoration Reply with quote
I agree with Ralph and would not restore it. If it is for real and not a fake with damage, then I would keep it as it is (looks nice to me) and not try to restore it. Like this it looks like the genuine thing and antique !
Price is always a difficult thing. People mostly pay what they want to spend and what value it is has for themselves. I would at least pay 250 Euro or 360 US Dollars for it....but experts on this forum could decide on giving it a higher value. It is more than welome a my home for this price Wink
regards
Danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: