Register :: Log in :: Profile   

NHK Taiga Drama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: JIN Reply with quote
No Jin 2 this year as the director is making a film about "Sakurada Mon" Unless they (TBS )go with a another director .
Jin can be found on Malay DVD with perfect subs .

As to Ryomaden well its been the #1 show in Japan for a few weeks ,so having only seen 3 unsubbed eps on Drama Fever i guess i should Zip it as most people seem to think its just dandy (Still prefer Jin though .)
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally saw the first episode of Jin. I had never heard of it before hearing about it here in the forum.

WOW!! First episode is an hour and thirty minutes of awesomeness! Time traveling doctor ... It's like Dr. Who comes to Edo!

I'm looking forward to seeing the other episodes!!

Last edited by Dash101 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: jin Reply with quote
Yes its superb!.
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: "JIN" Reply with quote
"Jin" on DVD with English subs can be had on amazon.com for $16.98 as of now . . .

Ordered mine yesterday, and looking forward to it!

Owari
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think we need to be careful-- Amazon itself isn't selling it. Two pirate scabbers are selling it using Amazon as a market place for the transaction. Shocked Crying or Very sad I can't endorse buying it from the pirates. If Amazon is selling it directly from it's own stock, then you are fairly assured that what you are buying is a legitimate release. I have my doubts about the copies of Hunter in the Dark and Bandits vs Samurai Squadron that Amazon is directly selling though. But if they are legit, great!

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
I think we need to be careful-- Amazon itself isn't selling it. Two pirate scabbers are selling it using Amazon as a market place for the transaction. Shocked Crying or Very sad I can't endorse buying it from the pirates. If Amazon is selling it directly from it's own stock, then you are fairly assured that what you are buying is a legitimate release. I have my doubts about the copies of Hunter in the Dark and Bandits vs Samurai Squadron that Amazon is directly selling though. But if they are legit, great!

If you are talking about the Panorama copy that Amazon has, I have rented this exact copy through Netflix. It is legit, but it is absolute crap! It's the good old Chinese auto-translated subtitle crap and a horrible transfer. The copy of Hunt in the Dark that I see offered through Amazon looks like it was released by the same company. One can assume that it too will be less than stellar. I have yet to see any dvd that includes both Chinese and English subs that wasn't an absolute mess, subs and picture quality.

This biggest problem with dvds of this sort is that they were released in China then that copy is used to translate into English. I saw a copy of Shinobi no Mono that was done this way and Nobunaga's name was Ching or something or other, drove me nuts. As far as Chinese releases are concerned, Japanese culture gets changed a lot due to government views on Japan. When Soul Edge/Calibur was released in China, Namco (the publisher) had to change Mitsurugi, a samurai, to Authur a knight so the game can be released in China. Same thing happens often with jidai geki related films as well.

Last edited by SicklyBug on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wunderbar. I just recently ordered Hunter and Samurai Squad from Amazon and have been eagerly awaiting these two. Crying or Very sad

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope that it's just me and that you aren't as irritated with it as I was. I tend to be very harsh on releases. Having a region free dvd/blu-ray player makes me pay a lot of attention to picture and sound quality. Having many choices (regions) is great!
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

JIN: Or, "This is your Brain on the Bakumatsu!"

OK, got my copy and it is definitely not a bootleg--in fact, it's a 2-disc boxed set lavishly packaged with high-quality artwork. There are 2 Chinese subs to choose from or English, which is not terrible--a few of the more technical medical terms were a bit off, but you can tell what they mean and certainly follow the story without a problem.

Now; based on Episode 1, I have to say: Was this intended to be very, VERY tongue-in-cheek? Because it's the best send-up of the whole Cult of the Bakumatsu I've ever seen. I mean worthy of Saturday Night Live! The Ryoma stuff alone had me rolling on the mat--damn near swallowed my sake cup laughing.

Somehow I expected a little more . . . "dorama?" I'm not complaining--this is a LOT of fun. But whoever spiked THIS guy's Kool-Aid definitely mixed the diamond with the pearl, as Steely Dan would have it . . . Laughing

(Bonus: The guy who played Hijikata Toshizo in the Shinsengumi Taiga has a small part in it).

Owari
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Owarikenshi wrote:

Now; based on Episode 1, I have to say: Was this intended to be very, VERY tongue-in-cheek? Because it's the best send-up of the whole Cult of the Bakumatsu I've ever seen. I mean worthy of Saturday Night Live! The Ryoma stuff alone had me rolling on the mat--damn near swallowed my sake cup laughing.

Then you have definitely never seen Ryoma ni Omakase!, starring "Downtown" comedian Hamada Masatoshi as Ryoma. THAT is hilarious.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Luckily, if they are selling through Amazon Marketplace, the buyer is covered by the A-to-Z guarantee and can return the item for full refund. I believe that all Amazon Marketplace sellers have to adhere to the policy or else they get booted. So, if the DVD's are substandard or bootleg, the seller shouldn't be on there long if enough buyers complain.
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: jin Reply with quote
My copy which i picked up in Chinatown has near perfect subs .
Also picked up the NHK Drama "Saka No Kumo "(i forget the whole title )thats not so good ,biggest hurdle is the Japanese Names are given Chinese Names but when you couple that with the sluggish pace its tough .
Should mention the Korean Drama "Queen Seon Deok ",perfect subs and a near perfect Historical Drama the opening Ep with a mass suicide (similar to a Seppuku performance )by irate Hwarang is worth it alone .
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Must say, now that I'm 3 episodes into "Jin," I really like this series and hope they do a second season someday. Less silliness after the opener, and the paradoxes of time-travel are dealt with upfront. Ryoma, of course, still occupies the "Kyogen" part (read, "comic relief,") but the drama has our time-slipping doctor confronting the real medical issues of the day creatively.

Suffice it to say they had a lot more to worry about in the Bakumatsu than just the Black Ships. Wink

Owari
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Owarikenshi wrote:
Must say, now that I'm 3 episodes into "Jin," I really like this series and hope they do a second season someday. Less silliness after the opener, and the paradoxes of time-travel are dealt with upfront. Ryoma, of course, still occupies the "Kyogen" part (read, "comic relief,") but the drama has our time-slipping doctor confronting the real medical issues of the day creatively.

Suffice it to say they had a lot more to worry about in the Bakumatsu than just the Black Ships. Wink

Owari
You guys are killing me! Now I want this too! And I already shelled out more than my monthly allowance at Amazon already! WAAAAAH!
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just as a heads up, bootleggers do sell on Amazon and it appears Jin is indeed bootlegged. Thai and Malaysian bootleggers a lot of times put out their products in elaborate, gorgeous packaging. They can't hide the TBS watermark in the upper right of the screen (the Japanese DVD release doesn't have it), or the fact that the subtitling still has 'Subtitling By XXXXX Fansubs' on it and that the subtitle quality tends to vary wildly, like in the Yoshitsune Taiga and also Jin (Episode 11's subtitles are so bad that anyone not understanding Japanese will probably have no clue what's going on).

Jin's a great series, so it's worth it anyway. And I'm not just saying that because two of the main characters are gorgeous female doctors (well, one is an 'unofficial' doctor in training, but still...). I loved the appearance of Boss Tatsugoro from the 'Megumi' fire brigade (Wise Shogun Yoshimune's pal in Abarenbo Shogun, even though it was the wrong time period-also the star of the kabuki play 'Megumi no Tatsugoro), and even better was the fact that the Edoites corrected Jin (who'd probably seen Abarenbo) and told him Tatsugoro wasn't part of Megumi but chief of all the fire brigades.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, sort of figured that out finally when I saw each episode is introduced by "Heiwa Fansubs." Whatever. The one I have isn't that horrible.

Given that the chances of 99% of this stuff ever being licensed for copyrighted sale in the U.S. are somewhere well below absolute zero, (and that in Asia it's been considered OK to "copy" since the time of Confucius), I can't knock the Gray Market.

Beats the hell out of watching "Ran" 978 times . . .

Owari
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: jin Reply with quote
I think its fair to say if you do not reside in an area that broadcasts subtitled Japanese Tv Programming at this point being either Hawaii or LA than the only option left is the Malay Boots and each time we get one we go in praying the subs are decent .
Sometimes you luck out (JIN,YOSHITSUNE Taiga )other times they are bearable (100 TALES OF HORROR ,OMYOUJI TV )and well some times you just get what you pay for (O-OKU Tv Series ,SAKA NO KUMO).

Sadly the only other option is to learn Japanese and fork out an arm and a leg (and a kitchen sink )for a delux non subbed Japanese Box Set.

I guess it just the price we pay for being a Jidai Buff .

I should mention i picked up the un subbed Tenchijin for 10 bucks as i had already seen most of it on Tv (before JP Programming was replaced by subtitled Korean Stuff which though not in the same league as a Taiga is actually bearable and decent .)and it was at a good price .
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Owarikenshi wrote:
(and that in Asia it's been considered OK to "copy" since the time of Confucius),

Tell that to the NHK, Toho, and Toei lawyers who keep quite busy suing Chinese, Thai, and Malaysian bootleggers.
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Owarikenshi wrote:
(and that in Asia it's been considered OK to "copy" since the time of Confucius),

Tell that to the NHK, Toho, and Toei lawyers who keep quite busy suing Chinese, Thai, and Malaysian bootleggers.

What I'd LIKE to tell NHK etc. is that there's a much bigger market out there for their product than they may be aware, given the consistently low-common-denominator nature of practically everything on TV in the States--even PBS is being dumbed-down for the Short Attention Span crowd now. The appalling History Channel show being discussed in another thread speaks for itself. There are literally millions of young Americans hooked on manga and anime who eat up all the Jp. culture they can get.

Instead of wasting all their time and money suing fly-by-nights (they're picking up Ugly American Habits), they could solve the bootleg problem in a very pro-active way by ripping a good English-subbed version of their shows and offering them online to the West. No big marketing budget required--just sell DVD's on Amazon etc. and THEY could make the $$.

What could possibly be the "down-side" of a worldwide audience? They'd drive the "pirates" out of business immediately by distributing high-quality work, and I'm sure fan-subbers would rather spend their time watching than translating.

Ranting from the soapbox

Owari
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: jp tv Reply with quote
For decades the JP TV Companies used to sub all their programming for export and local PBS stations in various city's like NYC,Chicago ,LA ,SF as well as of course all of Hawaii used to run JP TV seven nights a week .
Around 03/04 all the companies decided to stop subtitling for some strange reason we will never know ,it was not ratings either as all the programming did well .

KIKU in Hawaii has in house staff that translate and subtitle so they were ok ,As such all the various areas in the U.S. and other countries decided to drop Jp Programming and KIKU is not allowed to lease the stuff out either .So JP TV began to vanish from export broadcast ,save for the Taiga Drama and even that the last holdout was dropped in my area because NHK doubled their rates as the KTSF prints would pop up on sites like Drama Fever ,My Soju ect .

To fill in the gap korean Companies like KBS and MBC moved in very quick to fill the void ,even though i love Korean Historical's its just not the same .

The point im trying to get to is the Japanese do not care if their films and Tv Shows do well on export all they care about is their own market ,as such the only Subbed JP Drama left is the Taiga and that's on borrowed time as far as subtitles .
Notice also most Japanese Films also are not subtitled.
it would seem as far as the TV Stations and Film Studio's they have returned to that closed country state of mind .
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to Toei officials I've talked with, the reason for all of this (especially live TV shows and film being pulled) is that American releases had become unprofitable, especially when compared with anime. Anime fans and people who watch live action samurai fare tend to be two different groups-they don't overlap much. The interest in anime squeezed out the live action stuff-even crappy anime can get released in the states and do well. Toei's animation division can license to the west just about anything it produces, but not TV or movies (except for kid's programs for Saturday morning TV like Power Rangers). For the most part they weren't even breaking even on what it cost to professionally translate and subtitle it. And the bottom line is (as with any business), if it loses money, it's not going to be done. The market for live period Japanese films and TV shows just isn't there at the moment. Maybe someday it'll change, but getting angry at Japanese film companies because they don't want to lose money to make our lives more convenient is unfounded.

Just as a general example, take Godzilla. EVERYONE in the US knows Godzilla, and the film series has a huge and committed Western fan base. But even with all that, Toho couldn't license their 90's Godzilla films in the US becasue of lack of interest among the general public. It only made financial sense when the American Godzilla film (bad as it was) raised the interest level in the Japanese film.

And Thai, Malaysian, and (especially) Chinese bootleggers aren't 'fly-by-night' operations. They're huge and well organized (as shown by the great packaging they put together), especially in China where they operate with the tacit approval of the government. Many Chinese bootlegging operations are bigger than legitimate DVD companies in the West. They pretty much insure that legal releases of many Japanese films are never made in these countries, because the legit copies can't compete with the pirates. Note that the Japanese don't bother suing American bootleggers because interest in the USA is a small niche market and the American pirates ARE fly-by-nights. Trust me, no corporation is going to waste legal fees over small fry.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: jp tv Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
For decades the JP TV Companies used to sub all their programming for export and local PBS stations in various city's like NYC,Chicago ,LA ,SF as well as of course all of Hawaii used to run JP TV seven nights a week .
Around 03/04 all the companies decided to stop subtitling for some strange reason we will never know ,it was not ratings either as all the programming did well .

KIKU in Hawaii has in house staff that translate and subtitle so they were ok ,As such all the various areas in the U.S. and other countries decided to drop Jp Programming and KIKU is not allowed to lease the stuff out either .So JP TV began to vanish from export broadcast ,save for the Taiga Drama and even that the last holdout was dropped in my area because NHK doubled their rates as the KTSF prints would pop up on sites like Drama Fever ,My Soju ect .

To fill in the gap korean Companies like KBS and MBC moved in very quick to fill the void ,even though i love Korean Historical's its just not the same .

The point im trying to get to is the Japanese do not care if their films and Tv Shows do well on export all they care about is their own market ,as such the only Subbed JP Drama left is the Taiga and that's on borrowed time as far as subtitles .
Notice also most Japanese Films also are not subtitled.
it would seem as far as the TV Stations and Film Studio's they have returned to that closed country state of mind .

Here in Los Angeles, KBS is essentially included in one of the basic packages while J TV has to be purchased separately. There is a large Japanese population in Los Angeles but not as large a the Korean population. It does appear that KBS has a larger number of shows with subs than the J TV I get. I'm just glad they at least are still showing subbed taiga's. I'm sure why J TV was dropped in certain areas depended on demand and the local carrier.

Google+
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have KIKU here, but how many times can you watch the 1989 season of "Soko ga Shiritai"?? It does have a few programs, like the 2007 or so season of "Aibou" and some 10 year old variety shows too, but there really isn't a lot to it. Basically the only things that are up to date are the morning news and the Taiga dramas.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
jmaestro
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello people.
I need some help recognizing a taiga. It was perhaps Nobunaga or Tokugawa series that I saw 15-20 years ago.
It was in color and I remember that the battles were brutal.
There was one battle scene I remember well.. it was samurai general fighting against many opponents, and he was pierced by a dozen or so spears. he kept cutting the spear shafts sticking from his body with his sword so he could continue fighting.

I can't remember anything else specific about the series.
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmaestro wrote:
Hello people.
I need some help recognizing a taiga. It was perhaps Nobunaga or Tokugawa series that I saw 15-20 years ago.
It was in color and I remember that the battles were brutal.
There was one battle scene I remember well.. it was samurai general fighting against many opponents, and he was pierced by a dozen or so spears. he kept cutting the spear shafts sticking from his body with his sword so he could continue fighting.

I can't remember anything else specific about the series.
I think your descriptions could fit a number of taiga. Can you look here
http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=NHK_Taiga_Drama
and see if you recognize the name or year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 9 of 19

Jump to: