Register :: Log in :: Profile   

I Am a Cat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inu
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: I Am a Cat Reply with quote
Has anyone read this book in the original Japanese? I ask because in the English translation, all of the main characters have very English names- Sneaze, Coldmoon, Waverhouse, Goldfield, etc.- though they are quite obviously Japanese. So, is the flavor of this in the original similar to Trevor being called Toraba or are the names in the English version the fancy of the translator? Btw, I don't read or speak Japanese.

Many thanks,

Don

ps. This is an amazing book if you haven't read it.
Sophia
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It must be the translator's idea to turn the names into English; I've read the book in Hungarian and in that version the names were left Japanese - Kushami, Kangetsu, Kaneda etc.

And I agree with you, it's an amazing novel.
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I Am a Cat Reply with quote
Inu wrote:
I ask because in the English translation, all of the main characters have very English names- Sneaze, Coldmoon, Waverhouse, Goldfield, etc.- though they are quite obviously Japanese. So, is the flavor of this in the original similar to Trevor being called Toraba or are the names in the English version the fancy of the translator?
To directly answer your question, he translated the Japanese names. Kushami means "sneeze" and Kangetsu 寒月 means "cold moon." These are as strange in Japanese as in English. Goldfield is Kaneda 金田.
One character is Hanako. That is a common name meaning flower, but he uses the character read the same way meaning "nose." My guess is that her real name is 花子 "flower," but that the cat has never seen her name written (or cannot read), so assumes it is 鼻子 "nose."
Inu
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both. That pretty much answers my question.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: