Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Woodworking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

I just bought a brand new 1500 square feet house in a decent neighborhood for $117,000. There are plenty of you Yankee types moving down from New York and being able to live quite comfortably. Smile

平和,

マット

Wow, that's good. I don't even want to get started on prices out here. That's why I rent...well that and I am planning on leaving within a year or so anyway. I have a nice house surrounded by 12 acres of forest an hour and a half north of NYC. It's REALLY hard to find a nice quality house in private woods without building one. I actually commute over an hour to work one way. If I tried to find a closer house the price range would be to high for the quality I'd get in return. Plus, it would be in a crummy urban setting. It took me about 9 months to find one for rent. The whole area I live in is a nice residential area which is incredible considering almost every town in NY is ghetto and outdated. Nothing like where I lived in Illinois.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

That is easily doable outside of Mecklenburg County, especially if you are already used to a commute.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

That is easily doable outside of Mecklenburg County, especially if you are already used to a commute.

平和,

マット

As used to it as one can get I suppose. Cool My parents are really fond of North and South Carolina. They both travel extensively for work and vacation in that area from time to time. I have family in that reigion too. They are already sure they will move somewhere in that area pretty soon. When they go out there, I might just go with them to take a look myself.

Last edited by niitsu kakunoshin on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

Cool deal. If you make it to Charlotte let me know and I will give you some pointers on where to look. Plus I know an excellent real estate agent if you decide on this region.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

Cool deal. If you make it to Charlotte let me know and I will give you some pointers on where to look. Plus I know an excellent real estate agent if you decide on this region.

平和,

マット

I definately will, but it's going to by some time. Maybe this summer. We'll see.
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geez Matt I was gonna get free labor and then you come and steal it for yourself Evil or Very Mad

Nitsu,

Actualy I thnk a big consideration for you would be if you could find a job. Charlotte may be booming with oppurtunities for you, or it may be a dry well of sorts. As for swords arts in Nc, its very limited. I know in Raleigh there is the Triabgle Kendo and Iaidou dojo. I belive they train in MJER, which is a good thing in my opinion Very Happy

Jonah Matheson
Miyake
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the question on wood finish...
I grew up in a wood workshop and worked in one for the vast majority of my life, and I did make wooden floors on numerous occasions.
One of which where the owner of the house wanted a fully natural floors, unfinished.
Bad mistake!
We had to return there 3 weeks later and completely finish the floors, using first a light stain, then several layers of oil, then three coats of varnish for the strong shine.

The owner of the house was walking barefoot on the floors, and although the boards were well-sanded, rubbing bare feet on unfinished woods gets only one result: splinters!

So if you want to keep the hallways bare, I say give it a strong, natural finish.
Hope this is helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: