Register :: Log in :: Profile   

A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
Everyone has this now and it can be watched online .

While not actually a Taiga Drama because the than brain trust at NHK decided to go with more modern story's that brainstorm lasted for 3 whole years ,meanwhile to appease the many jidai buffs NHK created a Wed Night Jidai Drama instead ,this was the second (Musashi and Benkei were the others ,i have Benkei on vhs somewhere but missing a few eps ).

This generational Samurai Epic covers the rise and gradual fall from grace of the Sanada Clan from their early days serving the Takeda into the post Osaka Tokugawa Era .

So deal of the year ?.For myself yes

Last edited by wicked iemon on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 am; edited 2 times in total
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:

This has been rare as hell let alone with subs ,prior to this it could only be found as un subbed Compressed Chinese DVD or Un Subbed Jp version for an arm and a leg .

That's not entirely accurate. A fan sub group starting subbing and uploading this series two years ago. If memory serves me correctly, when they started uploading it episodes began popping up on sites like Crunchy Roll. As a response to that they took all newly subbed episodes and uploaded them only to one private site.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:

I actually spoke to the vendor and he was really helpful ,of course it is a 1985 tv rip just a couple of years after the vcr was invented so you will not get DVD Quality ,still he offered to send me a sample disc and sent me some e mails from happy customers to read ,So im sold i will pick one up at weeks end .

Hell, there are plenty of DVDs straight from Tokyo Shock of Japanese films from 1995 that look like they were transferred from a bad VHS copy. I'm starting to think that lighting engineers are a 21st century late adoption by Japanese filmmakers or that the lighting engineer union was on strike for the entire decade of the 1990s.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
I'm starting to think that lighting engineers are a 21st century late adoption by Japanese filmmakers or that the lighting engineer union was on strike for the entire decade of the 1990s.

Some of the Taigas released in the late 80's/early 90's are shot so dark they're almost unwatchable. Nobunaga-King Of Zipangu was one, Takeda Shingen another. It's hard to believe with most of the classic chanbara films of the 50's and 60's having such beautiful and effective lighting.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
http://www.japanesesamuraidvd.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/674/Sanada%20Taiheiki%20-%201985%20NHK%20Taiga%20Drama%2045%20Episodes

This vendor has a copy of Sanada Tai Heike (New Tales Of The Sanada Clan )with eng subs .
I have seen a few episodes of this a while back and it was nothing short of brilliant ,it has everything a Sengoku Buff could want .Big Battles like Nagashino ,Sekigahara ,Court Intrigue ,Nobunaga ,Ieyasu ,Hideyoshi,The Takeda yadayada ect.

This has been rare as hell let alone with subs ,prior to this it could only be found as un subbed Compressed Chinese DVD or Un Subbed Jp version for an arm and a leg .
I actually spoke to the vendor and he was really helpful ,of course it is a 1985 tv rip just a couple of years after the vcr was invented so you will not get DVD Quality ,still he offered to send me a sample disc and sent me some e mails from happy customers to read ,So im sold i will pick one up at weeks end .

While not actually a Taiga Drama because the than brain trust at NHK decided to go with more modern story's that brainstorm lasted for 3 whole years ,meanwhile to appease the many jidai buffs NHK created a Wed Night Jidai Drama instead ,this was the second (Musashi and Benkei were the others ,i have Benkei on vhs somewhere but missing a few eps ).

This generational Samurai Epic covers the rise and gradual fall from grace of the Sanada Clan from their early days serving the Takeda into the post Osaka Tokugawa Era .

Id say this is well worth 50 bucks inc free shipping .

Thanks, Lemon-I just finished up one Taiga over the weekend and am ready for another (even an 'unofficial' one). I'm heading over to get this now...
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:

This vendor has a copy of Sanada Tai Heike (New Tales Of The Sanada Clan )with eng subs .
I have seen a few episodes of this a while back and it was nothing short of brilliant ,it has everything a Sengoku Buff could want .Big Battles like Nagashino ,Sekigahara ,Court Intrigue ,Nobunaga ,Ieyasu ,Hideyoshi,The Takeda yadayada ect.

Id say this is well worth 50 bucks inc free shipping .

I'm watching it now and it's AWESOME--recommended!!

Owarikenshi
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It will be a hard decision for Christmas, Takeda Shingen or the Sanada? Is Takeda Shingen worth it? I have seen some scenes on Youtube and was impressed. I would sure love to have both of them.

I have to agree with Tatsunoshi on the Nobunaga. The lighting was dark, but was a spooky and dark Taiga anyways. Very Happy

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Sanada Reply with quote
Id vote for Sanada of the two ,this is when NHK were at their peak (1985-94).
Sadly they have never recaptured this 9 year span of really great Taiga's and Jidai drama's .of course there have been great ones since but this is when they really hit their stride one after another .
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd like to add that the vendor selling this is extremely fast-I ordered this on Tuesday and got it Thursday from the opposite coast.
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is for sure. Shipped the next day. Only thing is, 3 weeks to reach my address (customs, multiple airlines etc.). John
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And hey-'Tiger Tanaka' as Sanada Masayuki!
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Sanada NHK drama Reply with quote
I ordered this from vendor as others mentioned and feel this is a good JD. not that I am an expert on JD, but enjoy watching them to get some level of history of key figures, such as Nobunaga, Ieyasu, Hideyoshi, Shingen, Kenshin, Masamune, etc, etc.

since i need English Subs, the price, it comes up to about 1 dollar per episode.. a long list of things i spend 1.00 on that has less value to me than 1 episode of Sanada JD. hope they can get other NHK JD for sale...(with subs)
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanada Taiheiki Reply with quote
Thing is that it is so rare ,the print is great and its worth much more than 50 cents an episode ,given the demand for it over the years its a steal.
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hope they do some more of the older ones like this; still hoping for "Haru no Sakamichi."

Owarikenshi
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: A Sengoku (for the most part)Holy Grail with Eng Subs . Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
kitsuno wrote:
I'm starting to think that lighting engineers are a 21st century late adoption by Japanese filmmakers or that the lighting engineer union was on strike for the entire decade of the 1990s.

Some of the Taigas released in the late 80's/early 90's are shot so dark they're almost unwatchable. Nobunaga-King Of Zipangu was one, Takeda Shingen another. It's hard to believe with most of the classic chanbara films of the 50's and 60's having such beautiful and effective lighting.

I always wondered why a lot of the Japanese dramas were so dark. Many scenes are so dark, such as in Zipangu, that there is virtually nothing to see except the barely visible outline of a face in the dark.

Google+
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: taiga Reply with quote
Sadly we will never see Haru No Sakimichi or any Taiga that aired before Betamax hit the market .
Also all the early Taiga's were never subtitled it was not until the late 70's that kiku in Hawaii first started to sub taiga's .
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
already mentioned with 1st posting...I am 30 episodes in now. enjoy this one as well.
has many of the power players of this period.

Masayuki, Nobuyuki, Yukimura, Ieyasu, Hideyoshi, Kagekatsu, Tadakatsu, Mitsunari,Hideyori, Masanori, Kiyomasa, Yoshitsugu, Lady Yodo and Komatsu and many epidoes leading up to/around the battle of Sekigahara and Ninja network.

This period of time, for me, the most interesting period in Japan. So much occured...
Kenshin vs Shingen, Oda, Toyotomi, Tokugawa,
the changing landscape of who was in power and smaller Daimyo lords such as Masayuki trying to align with larger lords.. why so many of the Taiga drama's have been during this period, probably more so than any other period.

the Sanada's, a small clan, but so skilled.
(Masayuki, Nobuyuki, Yukimura)
I like Yukimura the best out of the 3 Sanada's.
but each one skilled and made the most of the hand each was dealt with. (in my opinion)

Last edited by mktanaka on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like darker lighting for Jidaigeki.
It makes the drama more realistic and it's good to cover up flaws of the set.
I don't like "Beta Akari" ベタあかり it's soaps' lighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: