Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Possible next discussion group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Possible next discussion group Reply with quote
I am considering running a discussion group on 15th century politics, since I'm finding this whole Kubo/Kanrei/Shogun mess pretty interesting - anyone else interested in doing this?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to participate, if I can take the time (not entirely sure what kind of time commitment is involved).

-Josh
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm certainly in for participation, as much as I can.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While the subject is interesting, how much material is easily accessible? I've been doing what I can to help out with the kanrei/kubo/shugo/jito topic, but finding enough material in English on has proven a bit difficult. I mean, a few of you who have access to Japanese-language sources may be able to get on ok with this topic as a viable study group, but I think it would be a pretty small group. Anyway, that is just my thinking for what it's worth.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
While the subject is interesting, how much material is easily accessible? I've been doing what I can to help out with the kanrei/kubo/shugo/jito topic, but finding enough material in English on has proven a bit difficult. I mean, a few of you who have access to Japanese-language sources may be able to get on ok with this topic as a viable study group, but I think it would be a pretty small group. Anyway, that is just my thinking for what it's worth.

I'd be in.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

Warrior rule in Japan, and Sansom's first or second volume, I can get some articles as well. I'm sure there are more, I'm just not really up to date in English language scholarship - maybe Berry's "Culture of Civil War in Kyoto" as well.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Warrior rule in Japan, and Sansom's first or second volume, I can get some articles as well. I'm sure there are more, I'm just not really up to date in English language scholarship - maybe Berry's "Culture of Civil War in Kyoto" as well.

Varley's "The Onin War" would be useful as well, as it explains all the background, of which this is a part.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The whole kanrei/kubo discussion has been way over my head, but I'd be interested in participating now that you guys are taking a break from the Bakumatsu stuff.

ltdomer98 wrote:
Varley's "The Onin War" would be useful as well, as it explains all the background, of which this is a part.

Available for the low, low price of *$72.50* from Amazon. Shocked
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:

Available for the low, low price of *$72.50* from Amazon. Shocked

It's worth it - it has translations and is a combo narrative/military history. I bought it for $40 years ago, but of course I don't have it here.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd buy it as well. They've got a copy here at the library on post. Great book.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Japan in the Muromachi Age Reply with quote
Japan in the Muromachi Age is possibly of interest. Edited by John Hall, it contains a number of essays on Muromachi Japan--I seem to recall it has something on the Kubo/Kanrei stuff if I can dig it out. I remember there was one essay talking about the change in the cities and village structures. I think another talked about the general hierarchy. I'll have to look it up again and see what I can find.

-Josh
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

That would be worth a shot.
If we wind up with a month with nothing to do I could run a cinema compare/contrast like I IM'd you about a little while ago.

平和、

マット
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Japan in the Muromachi Age Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
Japan in the Muromachi Age is possibly of interest. Edited by John Hall, it contains a number of essays on Muromachi Japan--I seem to recall it has something on the Kubo/Kanrei stuff if I can dig it out. I remember there was one essay talking about the change in the cities and village structures. I think another talked about the general hierarchy. I'll have to look it up again and see what I can find.

-Josh

I saw this book at the library and was wondering if anyone has read this and what their opinion of this book is? It looks interesting.

Google+
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have it. It is a good book for info on political and social structure of the period. John
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
I have it. It is a good book for info on political and social structure of the period. John

Thank you. I'll probably pick it up. I am finishing Varley's Onin War and I just picked up The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto by Mary Elizabeth Berry. Looking forward to it.

Google+
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto by Mary Elizabeth Berry. Looking forward to it.

Much like anything else that Berry does, that is a great book! I really enjoyed reading it. I also should tie in well with Varley's book.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
leakbrewergator wrote:
Tornadoes28 wrote:
The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto by Mary Elizabeth Berry. Looking forward to it.

Much like anything else that Berry does, that is a great book! I really enjoyed reading it. I also should tie in well with Varley's book.

So far it does tie in well. I recommend reading Varley first and then reading Berry. Berry's brief explanation in the 1st chapter of some of the succession disputes is much easier to follow since I read Varley's Onin War first.

Google+
leakbrewergator
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
leakbrewergator wrote:
Tornadoes28 wrote:

So far it does tie in well. I recommend reading Varley first and then reading Berry. Berry's brief explanation in the 1st chapter of some of the succession disputes is much easier to follow since I read Varley's Onin War first.

Yeah, I'm doing it backwards. Unfortunately, I never really had an interest in the Onin War until I read Berry's book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: