Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Heh, SEGA going to do Shogun 2 : Total war

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RollingWave
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Heh, SEGA going to do Shogun 2 : Total war Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEglrZ8vZzc&feature=related

The total war engine is awesome, though the lack of historical accuracy is always a huge pain in the arse no matter which series really. but the original S:TW is probably among the worst (though I guess we can say Rome was even worse. since it had a ton of pure fantasy units in it)

As long as they make a good modding competability for this game I would consider buying though. if only for the engine sake
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now THIS is good news! Despite the plethora of historical errors and inaccuracies of the original, it was the first samurai combat simulator I remember playing and spent a lot time knocking around with. I guess this is going to be the event that forces me to upgrade my ten year old PC.

Word on the game is that they've simplified it from the Rome model and 'cut back' the number of unit types to forty, which is still ridiculous. This isn't World War II or modern warfare. Still, it should look great and be fun.

BTW, Rolling Wave, a good computer game that's as accurate as it's likely to get for samurai combat is the Takeda series. It's my all-time favorite combat sim.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been playing the hell out of Total War Empire--LOVE IT. This is excellent news, if they have built on their work from the last few games and are putting out a better product.

Though, you just KNOW it's going to have ninja... Rolling Eyes
RollingWave
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, considering that my current computer ran M2TW's mods like a turtle. I didn't buy Empire, especially after some horror story of it in it's earlier stages.

I'm actually help doing in a M2TW mod for Asia, focusing on the late Song dynasty era up to the Mongol Invasion of Japan. it's a great era for total war setting because there were a large number of faction that each had distinct features (since we start at the year of the Genpei war, we have 2 Japanese factions). though the progress have been pretty slow we're getting there. how on earth we're going to do some of the SE asian faction though I don't know.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still play the original, although the battle system gets old, the game overall is still fun.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
RollingWave
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the only reason to keep playing the original STW is those crazy Geisha and Ninja videos lol!! and the throne room was pretty cool.

I found it really hard to play as anyone except the Hojo and Shimazu though. everyone else's postion was simply terrible and expose to so many front. while it was almost impossible to build stuff while sustaining the constant casaulties you'll take from attacks from all sides. obviously Shimazu have the most secure position while the Hojo's castle advantage was huge.

once your somewhat established though it's pretty simple. just agent swarm your opposition to death Just Kidding
kyushudan
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I for one am wearing a huge happy hat. I still love Shogun: Total War even though it looks a simple and well, a bit... wrong.

I just want to put it out there that I never faired well playing the Oda. No worries with ever other faction even on the highest difficulty setting.

Anyway, bring on Shogun II!
Maeda_Toshiie
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's hope they go back to the basics with battlefield combat similar to STW/MTW.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maeda_Toshiie wrote:
Let's hope they go back to the basics with battlefield combat similar to STW/MTW.

Explain. I've played STW, MTW, and now TW: Empires. STW was nice but way too basic. I Love the battle interface for TW:E. It's much improved over STW. I sincerely hope they incorporate the significant upgrades rather than go back to the dumbed down stuff they had before.

Side note: I'm going to have to figure out how to fight without artillery again, as I'm completely hooked on 24 lb howitzers, rocket launchers, mortars, and puckle guns.
Maeda_Toshiie
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't mean the interface, I mean the battlefield mechanics, eg the effects of weather, terrain, fatigue, etc.

I played the hell out of STW and MTW and went into all the unit stats and all (there were lots of discussions on this in the TW forums). MTW's battlefield was essential the STW engine with added effects (armour piercing, etc) and a improved AI.

Then when RTW was released, the old hands complained about many changes and accused of CA for dumbing down the game. Units moved much faster, tire less easily and combat went faster. The squeeze penalty was removed so you can just pile units into a small area. Cavalry became totally overpowered (it did get toned down in M2TW), as well as the Roman units. Many of us lost interest with the changed combat system, although M2TW did reverse some of the changes but there are still problems with imbalances involved (one of the problems involve combat being tied to the animations, so units with faster animation can have an advantage even if their stats are lower).

I'd say that I didn't play ETW and NTW because they are gunpowder centric. Shogun is melee centric, so I am uncertain how it will go if they used the same engine. I hope that I am wrong and that the game will be a blast.

Another issue I note is that in ETW and NTW tend to feature rather flat terrain. Although battles in Japan tend to occur at the plains, it would be nice if there is more variation in terrain.

Yeah, there should be less artillery in S2TW.

On a side note, I loved Koei's RTK3 (4 got a tad ridiculous with the abilities, didn't touch the later ones). Nobunaga's Ambition was a little too old for me to like. Wish there is a newer version.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, there have been two different versions of Nobunaga's Ambition in English for the US PS 2 released within the last year and a half (see the main gaming thread for info) with all the newest bells and whistles, and you can get the latest Japanese version for the PS3 (it works on an American unit, but is Japanese language only).
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should be an excellent game. Was really happy when I first heard the news.

Just hope they release it properly rather than full of bugs like Empire Total War!
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
I've played STW, MTW, and now TW: Empires.

Me too. Only PC game I plaied and still play. I'm a modder and can't wait for STW-II.

ltdomer98 wrote:
Though, you just KNOW it's going to have ninja... Rolling Eyes

Easy fixable. Delete the unit from the various program sheets. I bet it'll be discussed as first or second topic in the TW fora even if possibly for the other-way-arounf task : to improve Ninja skill. Just apply reverse engineering. Twisted Evil

ltdomer98 wrote:
Side note: I'm going to have to figure out how to fight without artillery again, as I'm completely hooked on 24 lb howitzers, rocket launchers, mortars, and puckle guns.

Felt the same when passing from MTW-II to Empire for the relative lack of fortress. I familiarized very soon with the other new features added and wasn't disappointed. Hope it'll be the same.

I'm a bit more concerned about the much lesser number of dufferent units and modding possibiities.

I'll put down the number of cavalry soldiers per unit and hope they'll give the same possibility to fight dismounted as already seen for dragoons in Empire.

BTW, Steam sucks. Hope there'll be a way to return to play without online connection. I miss evening games in the fresh shadow of my patio, too far away from my rooter.

Last edited by Tsubame1 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tsubame1 wrote:
BTW, Steam sucks. Hope there'll be a way to return to play without online connection. I miss evening games in the fresh shadow of my patio, too far away from my rooter.

AMEN!!!! STEAM blows chunks, and I hate the fact that I have to have my computer connected when I turn on in order to play the game. When you're traveling around Afghanistan and waiting for a military flight (that may come in an hour...or 7) I just want to play my frikkin' game. Though I've found that if I turn my computer on (and Steam starts to run, because it runs automatically) when I have internet, it doesn't matter if I go somewhere else where I don't have a connection, Steam is already running and will play the game for me. But I have very little success in turning on Steam with no connection, because the off-line mode doesn't work most of the time.

Quote:
I'm a bit more concerned about the much lesser number of dufferent units and modding possibiities.

I guess that's a modding thing? It doesn't trouble me at all, because in reality there weren't 47 different kinds of unit to choose from, because they didn't use the concept of "units" the same way. I like having my Coldstream Guards or Blackwatch in Empires, but there's no equivalent to that in 16th century Japan, so I'm not going to miss it. It'd be awesome if the cavalry guys each had 2-3 little attendants running along side them as they moved...doubt we'll get that lucky, though.

Quote:
I'll put down the number of cavalry soldiers per unit and hope they'll give the same possibility to fight dismounted as already seen for dragoons in Empire.

That'd be a nice option--I don't use it too much in ETW, though it's nice when you're lacking in infantry to hold ground that you can dismount your dragoons. I usually go really artillery/infantry heavy, though, and only use my cavalry to attack the enemy's artillery emplacements.
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling STW2 will require steam - that's the way so many games are going these days. Though it's ok so long as you can get online to register - after that you only need to be online to get the updates (offline mode is fine the rest of the time).

Some treats for you if you haven't seen/read them already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbMuQI0ErXQ&feature=related

http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/216395/pax-2010-shogun-2-total-war-preview/

http://www.incgamers.com/News/25109/new-shogun-2-total-war-screens-reveal-campaign-map

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/183629-/campaign1-noscale.jpg

I'm so happy they decide to do STW2 next. The proper use of terrain on the campaign map should make this a great improvement over STW. I love the little river with the bridge in the campaign shot. Am definitely looking forward to defensive fights. Smile

Hopefully they'll bother to make use of dual-core technology too.
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sega has announced the release date - 15 March 2011!
Drakken
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Family trees are back, and CA has confirmed that minors can be sent or received as hostage to seal off diplomatic treaties. It's a neat way to put a stop to the infamous "compulsively backstabbing" diplomatic AI from M2TW onwards, cause the AI can compute it has something to lose (a heir's head) if it backstabs the player.

The only overt ahistorical thing I have seen until now is the metsuke unit, which arrives a good century before its creation and specializes in ninja-hunting. However, it's rather minor to me.

Map contains about 60 regions and 40 factions (10 factions playable to the player), which is more or less the historical number of provinces in Old Japan, give or take a few (we can do without Sado, Shima, Ezo, and Tsushima, me thinks).

What I love, also, is that it's gorging in Japanese art from the period, even as far as going for "samurai-era" stamps on the unit cards.
Drakken
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Well, there have been two different versions of Nobunaga's Ambition in English for the US PS 2 released within the last year and a half (see the main gaming thread for info) with all the newest bells and whistles, and you can get the latest Japanese version for the PS3 (it works on an American unit, but is Japanese language only).

After fooling around with the Japanese NA versions, I've settled in prefering Tenka Sousei. Kakushin and Tendou are way, way, way too much slanted in favour of the Takeda juggernaut.

Still, I'll be importing Tendou's PUK version, only to see what changes it brings. Just Kidding
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Shogun 2 demo is now available. You will need steam to play it, but steam is such an easy piece of software it's not an issue. You just need to register an account with an email address.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/
Lord Shibata
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its out now, have been playing it when free time allows. Combat and strategy map all much smoother. Very good so far, been playing as the Hattori mainly, trying a few other clans as well. All generals start with a rank of one star, and have to win battles and such to upgrade. This means that Uesugi Kenshin and Imagawa Ujizane start out as equals, and indeed, if Ujizane wins battles while Kenshin does not, Ujizane will be a better general. Kenshin still has the drinker attribute though. Which is weird, because I remember Hideyoshi starts out with like rank 4 or something in the original. Here he'd be rank one when he comes of age. I guess this makes things more fair for the non-Takeda clans though, (I'm looking at you Nobunaga's Ambition and your broken Takeda.) since everyone starts out equally at least in the abilities department. And then you get to work them up to the status they would have after proving themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: