Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The International Ryukyu Karate-jutsu Research Society

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: The International Ryukyu Karate-jutsu Research Society Reply with quote
I don't know how many people here might be involved in the Ryukyuan martial arts community, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this organization, The International Ryukyu Karate-jutsu Research Society.

Where do they stand politically, or in terms of their status/reputation in the wider martial arts community?

Are they genuine, serious practitioners of the arts, or are they something closer to a McDojo? Are they a group which stays true to the tradition, or one which veers off in inappropriate ways? A group which honors and respects a relatively mainstream, widely accepted view of Ryukyuan & Japanese history, or a group which embraces its own bizarre versions of history heavily colored by the perspective of the martial artist?

The head of the group has expressed interest in republishing a blog post of mine in the organization's Journal, and as someone totally unfamiliar with the martial arts community, I thought I should ask around a little before simply saying yes. For all I know this could be a group widely scorned by the more serious, more genuine, Okinawan/Japanese martial arts community (as opposed to the Western community of martial artists).

Thanks.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Graculus
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Patrick McCarthy, who is the major figure in the group has a good reputation, as far as I am aware. He has been around for quite awhile, and although he may have some critics from a political point of view - martial arts being full of politics, I think that his approach is regarded as sound. Definitely not a McDojo.

Karate is not my particular area of expertise, so you may not want to take this as the final word.

Graculus
http://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: