Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The AAS-ICAS Joint Conference in Honolulu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: The AAS-ICAS Joint Conference in Honolulu Reply with quote
For anyone who isn't aware, from 3/31/11 until 4/3/11 the Joint AAS-ICAS (The Association for Asian Studies and the International Convention of Asia Scholars) conference is being held in Honolulu. Three forum members, LtDomer, LordAmeth, and myself will all be attending, so just to make an event out of it, we'll bring you live coverage of the event (relatively) via twitter (@samuraiarchives & @toranosukev) and you can also create a twitter search for #AASConference which we'll endeavor to add to the tweets. Also keep an eye here, on the facebook page, and the blog will be where the summaries of the most interesting presentations will be posted. I will also have my digital audio recorder, so I'll see if anyone will give me permission to record, and also we'll be putting together audio for a potential podcast based on the event as well.

Here is a link to the conference page:
http://www.asian-studies.org/Conference/index.htm

Here are some of the presentations I intend to go to:

Session 72: Monks of the Five Mountains & Shogunal Patronage of Zen in the Making of Muromachi Culture
Session 192: Negotiating One's Place in Japan's Long Sixteenth Century
Session 321: Before and After the Banquet: Culinary Discourse in Japan (1500-1900)
Session 541: Elite Patronage and Viewership of Japanese Art in the Age of the Toyotomi-Tokugawa Transition
Session 560: From Horseriders to Buddhist Devotees: China, Korea, and Japan at the Intersection of Visual Culture in the 5th-7th Centuries
Session 614: History, Literature, and Religion: Toward a New Paradigm for Kokugaku
Session 659: Nagasaki in the Eighteenth Century: Commercial and Institutional Change From Inside and Out

That still leaves me with space for at least five more presentations which I haven't decided on yet. The more than 100 lectures and presentations can be found here:
http://www.asian-studies.org/Conference/Print-Program.htm

feel free to respond to this thread with questions or recommendations on what else I should see, and LtDomer and LordAmeth, feel free to chime in here too.

Last edited by kitsuno on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exciting stuff. Shogun, I'm glad you're going to a lot of the ones I wanted to go to that I cannot make it to. (Kabuki rehearsal. grr.)

But, here are some of the ones I'm hoping to make it to:

*Session 33: Other Languages of Legitimacy: New Perspectives on the History of Political Discourse across the Tokugawa-Meiji Divide
*Session 56: Theatre and Performance Indiv. Papers; incl. a talk on "The Influence of Place on the Performing Arts: Genroku Kabuki Scripts and Shijo-Kawara in Kyoto"
*Session 97: Shifting the Balance of Power: Maritime East Asia in the 17th century
*Session 157: Digital Archives and the Study of Japanese Foreign Relations; incl. talks on Taiwan Expedition of 1874, and US-East Asia relations 1850-1880 from Ryukyuan Perspectives
*Session 281: Recasting Okinawa: Race, Gender, and Transnationality in the Cold War and Beyond
*Session 408: Haafu, Mixed Race Studies, and Multicultural Questions in Japan
*Session 453: The Location of the Motif or How to Popularize Ideas: Late Edo Period Visual Language Shared in Ukiyo-e, Decorative Arts, and the Theatre

I don't know how much I'll be tweeting, since I just don't tend to do that during talks, and will likely be quite busy between talks too, but please do feel free to "Follow" me on Twitter @toranosukev. I am also hoping to write blog posts about the content of interesting talks as well as about the experience of the conference overall.

Looking forward to it.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Session 192 Negotiating One's Place in Japan's Long Sixteenth Century.

Session 321 Before and After Banquet Culinary Discourse in Japan (1500-1900)

Are the two that caught my eye. Would love to attend. Thanks for the updates.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not only am I jealous that you are able to attend, but, in Hawaii as I sit looking out at 10 ft snow drifts, oh my!! Will these lectures be posted on their website in text later? John
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will be tweeting between lectures, not during. I doubt anything will be posted to the conferece website, but i'll try to give a detailed synopsis of the best ones on the blog.
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
I will be tweeting between lectures, not during. I doubt anything will be posted to the conferece website, but i'll try to give a detailed synopsis of the best ones on the blog.

I look forward to your synopsis of the lectures on the blog. Me too jealous.

Google+
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to hammer out which I will go to, but I'll be taking a recording device, unless they post something that asks me not to. Just audio, not video.

Edit:

Okay, without looking at when these are scheduled yet, here's what I would *LIKE* to be at. Some of them, especially in the Inter-area section, are for one paper out of the whole bunch:

Edit again: Grouping by time, so I can try to figure out which I want to attend. If Kitsuno is looking at one, I'll probably skip it and go to another. While I'm definitely going to attend some Sengoku based ones, I also have to weight academic utility (how it relates to my classes) and relative value to my job.

New Edits in Bold--Bolded topics are those I will hopefully attend.

Thursday, 0800-1000:

Session 8: New Mediums, New Messages? - Changing Notions of Audience in East Asian Narratives

Session 12: Individual Papers: Security Policy in Asia

Session 41: Changing Social Configurations and New Media Technologies in China

Thursday, 1015-1215:

Session 48: Fashion in Asia: Politics, Consumption and Identity Part 1

Session 72: Monks of the Five Mountains & Shogunal Patronage of Zen in the Making of Muromachi Culture

Session 73: Notions of Happiness in Japan

Thursday 1230-1430:

Session 102: Individual Papers: Regional Politics in Asia

Session 116: Subjectivity and Cultural Power: Shifting Gender/Sexual/Ethnic Identities in Modern Japan

Not sure. May sit this out--K, if you're interested in lunch and podcasting?

Thursday 1445-1645:

Session 134: Roundtable: “Buddhist Warfare”: Commentators from South, Southeast, and East Asia

Thursday 1900-2100:

Session 173: Securing humans in the International Relations of East Asia: The Concept and Practice of Human Security in Japan and China’s domestic and foreign policies

Session 192: Negotiating One's Place in Japan's Long Sixteenth Century

Friday 0800-1000:

Session 233: Innovative and Unorthodox Strategies in Japanese Business :Examining Shifting Values, Risk-Taking, and Survival Tactics

Session 235: U.S.-Japanese Relations and Post-War Security in North East Asia

Friday 1015-1215:

Session 249: Democracy and Development in East Asia

Session 253: “The Continuation of War by Other Means:” Escaping and Embracing War in East Asia (One presenter wrote a book on the JSDF)

Session 254: Reassessment of Territorial Disputes over Islets in East Asia: The Case of China, Korea, and Japan

Session 264: Individual Papers: Tran-Asia Cinemas II

Session 278: Spaces of Contestation/Contestations of Space: Counterculture and Public Space in Postindustrial Tokyo

Session 280: Handle with Care: Private Parts and Public Concerns in Japanese History

Friday 1230-1430:

Session 301: Institutionalizing Security and the Future of Regional Architecture in Eastern Asia - Sponsored by The Japan Foundation, Center for Global Partnership
Session 321: Before and After the Banquet: Culinary Discourse in Japan (1500-1900)

Session 322: Japanese Chick Lit: Women Writers of the Baby Boomer Generation (One of my professors from undergrad is presenting)

Argh. I should really go to 301, but it's hard to not go to the session led by my former prof. Kitsuno, any chance I could get you to go to 301 and record it for me?

Friday 1445-1645:

Session 338: Aesthetics and Authenticity in the Production and Consumption of Food and Drink in East Asia

Session 350: Individual Papers: Foreign Relations in East Asia

Session 366: Individual Papers: Women in Asia II

Saturday 0730-0930

Session 408: Haafu, mixed race studies and multicultural questions in Japan (One of the UH professors is presenting about Jero)

Saturday 0945-1145

Session 437: Individual Papers: Health I

Session 445: Individual Papers: Tourism

Saturday 1345-1545

Session 480: Individual Papers: Western Concepts and East Asia 1600-2010

Session 483: Individual Papers: Marriage, Divorce and In Between

Session 541: Elite Patronage and Viewership of Japanese Art in the Age of the Toyotomi-Tokugawa Transition - sponsored by Japan Art History Forum

Saturday 1815-2015

Session 572: Rituals of Emotion: Interaction, Communication, Social Order

Sunday 1445-1645

Session 746: Power Shift in 2009 and the Democratic Party of Japan

Session 749: Discursive Masculinities in Modern Japan

Session 752: Individual Papers: Religion in Japan

Honestly, at this point, I may just skip Saturday and Sunday. Why would they put everything good on Thursday!?!?!

Last edited by ltdomer98 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
I haven't had a chance to hammer out which I will go to, but I'll be taking a recording device, unless they post something that asks me not to. Just audio, not video.

And I've got my digital stereo recorder that will go with me. And we've got to set aside a few in-between sessions for some podcast worthy material. I HOPE there are no issues with recording - if not, I'll try to record as much of each lecture as possible, although my recorder only has 1.9 gigs of space, so I'm not sure exactly how much I can record.

As for the ones worth going to, I spent 2 hours at work going over every single one, so I'm guessing we'll have quite a bit of overlap - a lot of the lectures overlap time-wise, so I did my best to pick the most interesting one per timeslot.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, and 'domer and 'meth, are either of you going to the free dinner and drinks at the Hilton Hawaiian Village the night before the whole thing kicks off? I'll be there. Gotta get my money's worth.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably going to the dinner thing, not sure yet. I just realized one of my undergrad profs is here presenting--she wrote me a recommendation for grad school, so I owe her dinner, at least. As to recordings, I've got a digital recorder I use for class--if we can bring computers, I can upload recordings in between sessions and clear the memory.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bumping this for Kitsuno--I'll update/bold the ones in each timeslot I'm leaning towards.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't go to the dinner thing on the Weds. Rehearsal. Again.

As for bringing a computer, I'd say based on my experience at other conferences, there should be no problem with bringing a computer to the conference. However, there is not wi-fi throughout the Convention Center. I think there is supposed to be some kind of "internet corner" or something set up so that attendees can use the 'net, though.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Bumping this for Kitsuno--I'll update/bold the ones in each timeslot I'm leaning towards.

You've got a lot of my first and second choices - I'm still debating if I should go to #280 - it is just so bizarre I feel like I should go, but it also seems equally repulsive at the same time - it's like Brick McBurly and Obenjo got together and planned a lecture series Laughing

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
K, check my selections. See what you want to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: