Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Challenge (1982) Samurai Film?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kegage
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: The Challenge (1982) Samurai Film? Reply with quote
Don't know if this is considered a samurai film, but........

The Challenge, 1982, Toshiro Mifune, Scott Glenn

American boxer gets wrapped up in a feud between two brothers over two 500 year old family heirloom katanas, and in the world of “very” traditional budo.

Wondered how many people out there may have seen it, and what they think of it?
Interesting note. The unarmed martial arts coordinator credit is for a Steve Segal, however he is not in it. I think it is one of his first screen credits.

I would think this film should resonate extremely well with JSA folks. For a film, it has some good training footage, one of the best choreographed katana fights I have ever seen on film, and one that I can only describe as “Business Office Kenjutsu.”

Kevin
Kegage
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: The Challenge (1982). Samurai Film? Reply with quote
Oh, I knew there was something I forgot to mention. The sword and stunt coordinator was Ryu Kuze. A legend in the samurai genre.

Kevin
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember seeing this a long long time ago. I think I liked it at that time because of Toshiro Mifune.

It appears that the whole film can be seen on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFK1ZSVsVkg&feature=related
Kegage
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: The Challenge (1982) Samurai Film? Reply with quote
Thank you very much. I have a VHS copy, but I know several people who are looking for it. I will let them know.

And yes it is one of my absolute favorite also, but is it a samuari film?

Kevin
Kegage
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: The Challenge (1982). Samurai Film? Reply with quote
I have some favorite scenes. The dinner scene, and, of course the training and fighting sequences. There is one continuity quandry I haven't been able to solve. I call it "The Amazing Appearing Arrow". In the build up to the climatic fight Mufune's character, Yoshida, appears to leave the compound with six arrows (they are hard to count), expends four getting to the corporate HQ, and enters the building with two. He uses those two to devert the guard's attention, but after dispatching them he still has one left in his obi.
I am also not to keen on the ending. I get the whole philosophical aspects of it, but I would have liked something more definative.

Now, I am not usually to much of a continuity nut, but I am also a traditional archer, so this one bothers me bit. You can imagine what some of the Robin Hood stuff out there does for me. Please don't ask me about "Prince of Theives", you'll just get me started on a rant, but that's hollywood

Kevin
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw this film many years ago, and the only scene I can remember is a security camera suddenly filling with the image of a screaming, sword-wielding Mifune, perhaps a corporate security guy's worst nightmare (or an absolute crack-up, depending on how you look at it). I understand it is very hard to find now. I saw it on cable back in the Dark Ages.
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
onnamusha wrote:
I saw this film many years ago, and the only scene I can remember is a security camera suddenly filling with the image of a screaming, sword-wielding Mifune, perhaps a corporate security guy's worst nightmare (or an absolute crack-up, depending on how you look at it). I understand it is very hard to find now. I saw it on cable back in the Dark Ages.

They had cable in the dark ages?

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
MLanteigne
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't find this movie on DVD anywhere. I am thinking they didn't bother to convert it. I checked Amazon, Ebay and other places and nothing. Sad

"The highway of fear leads to the road of defeat."
- From a Bazooka Joe Comic, of all things.
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

They had cable in the dark ages?
You forget, I'm in Tennessee. We're STILL in the Dark Ages. Heck it was only about 5 years ago we stopped pumpin' water from the creek and got a line in. We wake up every morning and take potshots at the local wildcats and rattlesnakes! Gap teeth

Quote:
I can't find this movie on DVD anywhere. I am thinking they didn't bother to convert it. I checked Amazon, Ebay and other places and nothing. Sad

I think it is only available on VHS; there are occasional copies on Ebay and Amazon for about $12 and up.
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's available streaming on demand on Netflix. I toyed with watching it again, since the last time I saw it was back when I was living in Japan, but the actress who kept saying the Samurai's name with "~san" at the end of it was just so, so obnoxious... "Yoshimita San! Yoshimita San!"

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ghost_Warrior/70146977?trkid=2361637

1986 R 80 minutes
When skiers in Japan come across the frozen body of centuries-old samurai warrior Yoshimita (Hiroshi Fujioka), scientists secretly whisk the corpse to a high-tech laboratory in California, where they bring him back to life. But when Yoshimita escapes onto the mean streets of 1980s Los Angeles, his ancient and strict code of honor gets him both into and out of trouble. J. Larry Carroll directs this low-budget action fantasy.

But you know what, I might just watch this anyway. It would have been awesome if Christopher Lambert was in it.

MLanteigne
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Netflix in Canada just isn't quite up to par with our US counterparts. Something to do with acquiring licensing and such. So we don't have quite the selection you guys do, which is unfortunate.

I also don't like the new format and interface. Not sure if it's changed for US users, but first? version was better than this one.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MLanteigne wrote:
Unfortunately, Netflix in Canada just isn't quite up to par with our US counterparts. Something to do with acquiring licensing and such. So we don't have quite the selection you guys do, which is unfortunate.

I also don't like the new format and interface. Not sure if it's changed for US users, but first? version was better than this one.

I've been on netflix since 2004, and I haven't noticed a change, so it might just be Canada.

MLanteigne
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What device are you using to watch it...I'm using the playstation 3 which limits it.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MLanteigne wrote:
What device are you using to watch it...I'm using the playstation 3 which limits it.

I cable my laptop to my HD widescreen TV to watch it directly from the streaming website.

SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MLanteigne wrote:

Limits it how exactly? I've been using my PS3 to watch Netflix ever since the day Netflix was able to be viewed that way. I'm not a fan of the current user interface for Netflix, PC or PS3, but I have yet to see the PS3 limiting Netflix in any way other than a UI that is a pain to navigate with a PS3 controller. Unless it's a Canadian thing that I am unaware of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: