Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai Heraldry Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To Yellow Regiment,

Check out the book on '100' sets of heraldry posted by Obenjo on Templars' thread of Heraldry During the Sengoku period on page 11. It has the Hojo Ujiyasu banners from Rekishi Gunzo books

To OishiYoshio,

Just in case, I responded to your comment on the the Murakami mon with a 'loop' on the previous page.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To Evalerio:

Great I will try to get hold of that book and check it out myself. How are you nowadays?
evalerio wrote:
To Yellow Regiment,

Check out the book on '100' sets of heraldry posted by Obenjo on Templars' thread of Heraldry During the Sengoku period on page 11. It has the Hojo Ujiyasu banners from Rekishi Gunzo books

To OishiYoshio,

Just in case, I responded to your comment on the the Murakami mon with a 'loop' on the previous page.
OishiYoshio
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
evalerio wrote:
To OishiYoshio,

Thanks for the feedback!
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The material accumulated here is enough to publish a booklet. And fully deserve it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tsubame1 wrote:
The material accumulated here is enough to publish a booklet. And fully deserve it.

Hi Carlo,

The illustration of banners for the first one is almost complete, covering the rise and fall of Takeda Shingen. Over 100 sets from Kai, Suruga, Sagami, Shinano, Kozuke and Echigo. Battlefield scenarios of 4th Kawanakajima, Mikatagahara and Nagashino are being illustrated to show how the banners were used. The cut-off for banners show Otate no Ran and Temmokuzan.

I've intentionally left out the Oda and the Tokugawa for later projects. But I am trying to find out the early versions of some of those who served Ieyasu to recreate the army of Imagawa Yoshimoto.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Evalerio,

Kakizaki Kageie Uma jirushi' wild boar is similar to the Hojo hatamoto, Okabe Gonnodayu though it was used as a sashimono Smile

Ayos ba?

Larry
evalerio wrote:
UPDATE:
Page 1: Okubo butterfly sashimono have been updated.

Kakizaki Kageie, one of Uesugi Kenshin's '28 Generals'. Led the vanguard at 4th Kawanakajima and charged into the contingent of Shingen's brother Takeda Nobushige who was killed in the ensuing battle.

The 'Praying Mantis' uma-jirushi and 'Radish' sashimono appear in color plates in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords' and Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign book. The first 'Radish' uma-jirushi appears in a color plate in a Rekishi Gunzo book which feature one of the Kawanakajima Screens where the standard can be seen. The second 'Radish' Uma-jirushi and the wild boar standard appear in the compilation book of 100 heraldry sets. The wild boar standard can also be seen in the Kawanakajima screen.

NOTE: I don't know if there were two actual 'Radish' Uma-jirushi, or if they are the result of different interpretations by two different artists. (As an example, I have THREE different 'Shoki' O Uma-jirushi belonging to Honda Tadakatsu!)

Honjo Shigenaga, one of Kenshin's 28 generals. Often troublesome, defying and disobeying Kenshin. At the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima, Shigenaga's contingent was in the vanguard led by Kakizaki Kageie.

Banners with standard bearers are from the '100' book. The uma-jirushi is my interpretation of the banner in the color plate in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlord'. The sashimono is speculative based on the uma-jirushi.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Katsurayama Magoshiro Reply with quote
Hello Evalerio, I know you're still working on the Hojo of Odawara Banner and its vassals, by any chance have you come across the banners of Katsurayama Magoshiro? He is one of the generals under Hojo Soun who invaded Kai for the 3rd time in Sept 1503. Eventually Katsurayama Magoshiro died in this battle. Thank you. Smile
MePaintsGood
Beggar
Beggar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi! This is an excellent piece of work you've done! I'm painting a samurai army for myself, which will include four contingents, Li Noamasa, Date Masasume, Honda Tadakastu and Tokugawa Ieayasu. found two of the contingents I want to depict here, but I still would like to see something like this for Honda Tadakatsu and Tokugawa Ieayasu......pretty please with sugar on top Very Happy or at least point me in the right direction. Also, when the army is done, I'd love to post it up

Thanks!
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using the phonetic alphabet, the Red Devil clan is not spelled L I (Lima, India). It's spelled with two i (India, India).

You can find Tadakatsu's son and heir, Honda Tadamasa, here:
http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=4745&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

You can find Tokugawa Ieyasu here:
http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=4745&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

Both Honda and Tokugawa illustrated in the links above in 'O uma-jirushi' represent the final look of their banners, Sekigahara 1600 and beyond. They appear to look different in earlier times (Mikatagahara and earlier).
Lugbar
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MePaintsGood wrote:
... which will include four contingents, Li Noamasa, Date Masasume, Honda Tadakastu and Tokugawa Ieayasu.

Evalerio is correct, some of the spellings are wrong

Ii Naomasa 井伊 直政
Honda Tadakatsu 本多 忠勝
Tokugawa Ieyasu 徳川 家康

Date Masamune 伊達 政宗

With the right spelling you will be able to find what you need via google. Also try the japanese characters for image search.
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking through photos and videos of the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri, I recently saw the flag below. While most Hojo flags on display look like present day reproductions, clean and crisp. The one below look old and worn. It may have been white once, but it looks to have browned with age, darkened with stain and dirt. It is usually displayed close to the reenactor portraying the Hojo daimyo during the parade. Flown beside a red Hojo uma-jirushi, I am assuming this flag was flown by Hojo Ujimasa.

Did I write the characters correctly? Could anyone translate it? I think the third character is 'nothingness'?. This character appears on three different Hojo uma-jirushi.
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
鑊湯無冷處
Kakutô mu Reijo Kettle's hot-water has-no cold place. The hot water of a kettle has no cold.
A Zen saying used in tea gatherings.
I am not sure of the significance. Perhaps it means you should be single-hearted.
But 鑊 is an unusual character for kanae (kettle). It is a large kanae used for boiling large amounts of meat or fish, or for boiling criminals! I am not sure of the relevance of that, though. By the way, a tea kettle is usually a different word, kama 釜.
Zenmaster
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy cow! I just saw the new Hojo illustrations and they are incredible. When is your book going to be out? I must have a copy.

Two thumbs up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: