Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Ford Hallum, Tsubashi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hou Zi Wang
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Ford Hallum, Tsubashi Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of this man?

He has a website that is devoted to the Japanese arts of tradition: Tsuba,netsuke ect, and has even entered some contest here in Japan. I did not wish to break the rules with a wrong link but there is so much information there that concerns the making of things in the ancient ways, I will post it if you have not heard of this place.

X(in)
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Ford is a well known tosougushi and works on many types of metalcraft related to Nihonto and Japanese tradition. His home is in South Africa, but, travels extensively and has had training in Japan. A good fellow and his work is very good.

http://followingtheironbrush.org/index.php?sid=0bbefc1548f4eb4b4c11bb92d1f4e9ed
John
Hou Zi Wang
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is good! I am glad that I am not in the dark? here!

I think is website is good for teaching, he is most certain a shifu. There is even a Chinese man there who makes traditional Chinese swords!

I wonder why the Japanese will make better swords than us? Why we stopped trying? I guess its a different subject.

I wonder if you will learn these things as well?

X
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not strictly true. Although there are many swords made that are crude and just for decoration there are some swordsmiths that make excellent traditional Chinese swords and are expensive as well. Also there are some Chinese smiths who have had some Japanese training and are producing swords that, although not true Nihonto, are very good reproductions and are used world wide for training. When the desire is there to make something of quality they can achieve a respectable product. John
Hou Zi Wang
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry, I meant since the 16 cen. the Chinese seemed to stop inovating,maybe a few single thngs but inthe big sense not much, now they just copy, it makes me a little sad.

X
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hou Zi Wang wrote:
I am sorry, I meant since the 16 cen. the Chinese seemed to stop inovating,maybe a few single thngs but inthe big sense not much, now they just copy, it makes me a little sad.

X

The answer you're looking for is that warfare in China was very different than in Japan, and that explains why different weapons were popular, and different weapons developed in very opposite ways. Check out Karl Friday's book "Samurai, Warfare, and the State" to see a good explanation--he talks about weapons in one chapter, and discusses that the Japanese bow developed in strange ways and when compared objectively to Chinese crossbows, seems totally impractical. So why didn't the Japanese start using Chinese-style crossbows, since they did have access to them? It didn't fit the style of warfare they preferred to fight. Crossbows are an infantry weapon, and hard to use from horseback. The Japanese in the Nara/Heian/Kamakura period maintained the majority of their fighting from horseback, so bows, even the weak bows the Japanese had, worked better.

There's likely something out there that talks about swords comparatively as well. When you have 100,000 man armies like the Chinese did, you don't need to develop complex expensive sword processes...it's wasteful to spend that much on a sword for your peasant infantryman. In Japan, warfare was initially the prerogative of the elite, who could afford to pay out the nose for their weapons to be superior quality, because that was one of the ways they showed how important they were. So you have Japanese swords develop, and Chinese swords don't. This is a pretty simplistic explanation, and I'm no sword expert, but it seems like it would be a major contributing factor.
Hou Zi Wang
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a very good answer to my question, even though I came off the topic,I will read that book when I can find it. Thank You

X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: