Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prime
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan Reply with quote
I was going to pick this up and give it a read. Just wondering if anyone here has read it and had an opinion...

"Originally published in Japanese in 1959, this classic novel by Yasushi Inoue takes place during the Japanese Warring Era (1467-1573)-a time when Japan was ruled by three young powerful warlords: Takeda Shingen, Iwagawa Yoshimoto, and Hojo Ujiyasu. The story focuses on Takeda Shingen and his one-eyed, crippled strategist, Yamamoto Kansuke. The brilliant strategies of Kansuke, inspired by his passion for war and his admiration for his enemies' war tactics, are beautifully expressed throughout this book."

http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Banner-Furin-Tuttle-Classics/dp/0804837015
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have it; thoroughly enjoyable and the basis of a number of good films about Takeda and Yamamoto Kansuke.

I'd say go for it!

Owarikenshi
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan Reply with quote
Prime wrote:
I was going to pick this up and give it a read. Just wondering if anyone here has read it and had an opinion...
I haven't read it myself, but it is most definitely a classic and worth reading. It was made into a Taiga in 2007. Try searching the Forums on Furin Kazan or Yamamoto Kansuke and you will find a lot on it. (Recently some letters of Kansuke's turned up, so he apparently really existed.)
By the way, as you are asking about a book, this topic would fit better in the "Japanese Literature Forum" rather than the "Entertainment Forum."
Prime
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great, thanks all.

Sorry about the poorly placed thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: