Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Looking for fiction set during the Edo period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryJJ
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Looking for fiction set during the Edo period Reply with quote
I have always wanted to read Suruga-jō Gozen Jiai but I don't think theres a English version and I have Blossoms and Shadows and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoe on my to read list but could people point me to others?

I know of Laura Joh Rowland and her Sano Ichirō mysteries series but I'm suspect of anyone who churns out that many works, still the years it is set in are of interest and Metsuke officials or anything detailing crime thrillers are right up my street.
Glyre
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only novel I've ever read that was set in the Edo period was Gai-Jin by James Clavell. It was apparently inspired by the Namamugi Incident of 1862, so it's (very) late Edo period, and a large portion of the book focuses on westerners in Japan. It was alright--not incredible and probably not worth reading unless you really like the period. I've had Musui's Story: The Autobiography of a Tokugawa Samurai in my Amazon wishlist for awhile, so that may be worth looking in to as well. The reviews seem quite positive.

Finally, I find the manga O-Oku: The Inner Chambers to be quite interesting. The premise is that in the 17th century a plague wiped out a large percentage of Japan's male population, leading to females having to take up leadership positions, with men being highly prized. It is quite well done and mature, despite what "gender reversal and harems" usually imply in the world of manga.

Good luck with your continued search!
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glyre wrote:
The only novel I've ever read that was set in the Edo period was Gai-Jin by James Clavell. It was apparently inspired by the Namamugi Incident of 1862, so it's (very) late Edo period, and a large portion of the book focuses on westerners in Japan.

The only book that has the honor of being so terrible that I tried to read it twice in a 10 year period but I couldn't get more than about halfway through it either time.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: