Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai suit worn by woman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Samurai suit worn by woman Reply with quote
Samurai suit worn by fearsome 5ft tall Japanese warrior WOMAN set to fetch £40,000 at auction
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221017/Samurai-suit-worn-fearsome-5ft-tall-Japanese-warrior-woman-set-fetch-40-000-auction.html
Quote:

Under the hammer: The exquisite armour, dating to the 1800s, is expected to fetch £40,000 at auction
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anybody find an auction-house listing, or some other better information on whose it was than the riDICulous commentary of the Daily Mail? Their grammar alone made me cringe . . . but the armor is very cool!
estcrh
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Owarikenshi wrote:
Can anybody find an auction-house listing, or some other better information on whose it was than the riDICulous commentary of the Daily Mail? Their grammar alone made me cringe . . . but the armor is very cool!
Try these links.

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/11545/

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20023/lot/292/
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can tell you that whoever buys this would have an excellent basis for filing a fraudulent representation suit later on. If all they have to base a claim that this is a suit made for a woman is what’s in the description given by the auction agent, it’s utter BS. Using the mask with teeth and mustache as proof because it was intended to hide her sex is ludicrous, because virtually every set of armor produced during this period would include a similar mengu. And it fastens differently because it’s a standard Edo period/early Meiji made-to-sell-to-stupid foreigners reproduction of an earlier armor style that DID fasten that way. And that suit would weigh exactly what any other suit of Japanese armor would weigh, probably more because of the more old-fashioned style-so the bit about it ‘being lighter than a man’s suit’ is dead wrong. And claiming the person who wore it would be a ‘fearsome warrior woman who could defeat a man twice her size’-uh, it’s late Edo period. Peacetime. And that suit of armor is no different than hundreds of ceremonial suits that were impractical for battle and never intended to be worn. I don’t see one thing about it that would mark it as having been made for a female-it looks exactly like hundreds of other ceremonial suits made during that period. Still, some rich clown with more money than common sense will likely pay a huge sum for it.
And the writer who put that article together is a joke. Komono? A suit of armor worn by a fearsome BAND of warrior women-what, did they take turns? And trotting out the fictional Tomoe again…at least I agree that a warrior woman could take down Tom Cruise.
Not that there weren’t suits of armor that were made for women-there are plenty of accounts of them wearing it during castle sieges. The only one I know of that’s still around is the suit supposed to have been worn by Tsuruhime that’s at Oyamazumi Shrine, and she wasn’t even of the buke class but a shrine maiden.

EDIT: I see on the links estcrh provided that they claim the maedate symbolizes Daikokuten, the Japanese god of fortune and that this signifies a link to the household-and hence female. However, that sanskrit character usually symbolizes 'Shiva' (from which Daikokuten evolved from), the Destroyer/Creator and most powerful of the Hindu Trinity. It's seen on many suits of armor whether it signifies Daikokuten or Shiva and doesn't mark this as being female.

They also bring up the fact that it opens in the front. I don't know how rare that is-someone like Josh might know. But saying it was done to allow a woman to be modest and dress herself in armor is also ludicrous. Any woman from a family who could afford an elaborate set like this would have as many (female) attendants to dress her as a man would, probably more.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that Trevor could do a whole podcast episode on just this armor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: