Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Roman-made glass beads found from a 5th century Kofun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Roman-made glass beads found from a 5th century Kofun Reply with quote
English
http://www.ablogabouthistory.com/2012/06/25/roman-jewellery-found-in-japanese-tomb/

Japanese
http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/sightseeing/article/20120621000144
Thunberg
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never heard of objects coming to Japan from the Silk road or vice versa, but it is possible if incredible. If those beads really are from Rome, I think it beats the 6th century Buddha statue found in Sweden. Just facinates me how connected the owlrd could be even in those times.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For Silk Road objects in Japan, just look at the contents of the Shosoin, the types of clothes Japanese people wore in the Nara and Heian periods (influenced by Persian/Sogdian coats), and various other items from the 8th century and before. The Shosoin is one of the best repositories of Silk Road artifacts available.

1st to 3rd century Roman coins and a 6th century Byzantine lamp are found in SE Asia. Roman glass has been found in China and Korea; so finding it in Japan doesn't surprise me.

It also doesn't mean that Japan and anything resembling direct contact with Rome. The glass could have passed through several hands before it found its way to Japan.

-Josh
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Japanese website Shikisoku mentioned said some beads from India and SE Asia were found in the same tomb, so that is presumably the route that the beads came from.
Thunberg
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
It also doesn't mean that Japan and anything resembling direct contact with Rome. The glass could have passed through several hands before it found its way to Japan.

Guessed as much, despite people form different ends of Euro-Asia recieving goods from each other they would have a very dim view of each other

Quote:
For Silk Road objects in Japan, just look at the contents of the Shosoin, the types of clothes Japanese people wore in the Nara and Heian periods (influenced by Persian/Sogdian coats), and various other items from the 8th century and before. The Shosoin is one of the best repositories of Silk Road artifacts available.

1st to 3rd century Roman coins and a 6th century Byzantine lamp are found in SE Asia. Roman glass has been found in China and Korea; so finding it in Japan doesn't surprise me.

Shows how much I know anout Japan pre 10th century Rolling Eyes, but now I have learnt more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: