Register :: Log in :: Profile   

1782-1783 Shimazu daughter marries Tokugawa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: 1782-1783 Shimazu daughter marries Tokugawa? Reply with quote
I'm reading a bit of Tachibana Nankei's travel diary, of his trip to Satsuma in 1782-1783. He mentions that while he was there, it was the auspicious occasion of the marriage of a daughter of Satsuma into the Shogun household.

「薩摩の姫君、将軍家と御縁組の御吉事調ひしにより」

I poked around Google a bit, and didn't find anything... I'm going to go check out one book I found is in the library, called 島津氏の研究, but I suspect this might end up covering only the Sengoku period.

Does anyone know where I might go to figure out who exactly was getting married (that is, assuming I'm translating this phrase correctly to begin with)?

Thanks so much!!

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah. Never mind. I think I figured it out. Kôdai-in 広大院, a daughter of Shimazu Shigehide 島津重豪, married Tokugawa Ienari 徳川家斉 in 1789; could this be what they were preparing for in 1782-83? Seems unlikely that there were too many other Shimazu-Tokugawa marriages, right? Or were there?

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Betrothal agreements were often made years before the actual marriage, and once the agreement was made, there would be elaborate gift giving between the two houses on various occasions. Preparing and sending gifts a well as receiving shogunal emissaries was no small manner & had a lot of pomp and circumstance attached to it.

Another Shimazu bride of the Tokugawa was Atsuhime, who married the 13th Shogun, Iesada.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Yeah, I think that since they were betrothed in 1776, and married in 1789, the 1782 or 1783 celebrations seem quite likely to point to this particular figure, and not to someone else.

Incidentally, this Kôdai-in was also known as Atsuhime; the latter Atsuhime, who we know from the Taiga drama, was named after her.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I think that since they were betrothed in 1776, and married in 1789, the 1782 or 1783 celebrations seem quite likely to point to this particular figure, and not to someone else.

Incidentally, this Kôdai-in was also known as Atsuhime; the latter Atsuhime, who we know from the Taiga drama, was named after her.

The second Atsuhime was first called Okatsu, then Atsuhime and finally Tensho-in.

I left Japan in 2004, so I missed all the NHK dramas since then, except an abbreviated version of NHK Hojo Tokumune, which my son bought from NHK. Has anyone bought abbreviated versions outside of Japan? If so where?

Carmen
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hosokawa Gracia wrote:
lordameth wrote:

The second Atsuhime was first called Okatsu, then Atsuhime and finally Tensho-in.

I left Japan in 2004, so I missed all the NHK dramas since then, except an abbreviated version of NHK Hojo Tokumune, which my son bought from NHK. Has anyone bought abbreviated versions outside of Japan? If so where?

Carmen

Carmen,

There are a few vendors that have complete Taiga Drama series with English subs. Details of them are not encouraged to post on the boards due to fact they are not always Snow White clean copies. Then again, what is? And some have bad English subs.. As I have stated on these boards, better bad subs than nothing at all. WL is our resident expert. PM WL for details... as well as myself... if you want sources for Taiga drama series over the past 10 to 15 years..
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Satsuma Bride . Reply with quote
The condensed versions are hard to find as they never made the transition from VHS to DVD .
There is a company that has almost every Taiga on compressed DVD's with no subs ,but if you want to see something like Taiheike or Hideyoshi this is the only way to go .

Some kind soul was uploading episodes of old Taiga's onto You Tube but the NHK watchdog snagged them and made them take them down .
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Satsuma Bride . Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
The condensed versions are hard to find as they never made the transition from VHS to DVD .
There is a company that has almost every Taiga on compressed DVD's with no subs ,but if you want to see something like Taiheike or Hideyoshi this is the only way to go .

Some kind soul was uploading episodes of old Taiga's onto You Tube but the NHK watchdog snagged them and made them take them down .

Anyway here is the link
http://www.shopktslab.com/index.php?cPath=41
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody seen that TBS New Year's series out on DVD yet? The 7-hour Byakkotai?
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Satsuma Bride . Reply with quote
I have it but have yet to watch it ,i think clips of Hijikata fighting at Aizu may have curbed my interest as it was Saito who fought while the Hij looted Aizu of fighting men and took off to Ezo with Otori Keisuke .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: