Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Ten To Chi To Dawn (1990)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Ten To Chi To Dawn (1990) Reply with quote
Kadokawa produced this in 1990 prior to the film ,it covers the early life of Kagetora (Tsunehiko Watase ) ,Mifune also stars .My knowledge of this is sketchy as i only saw a non subbed 10th generation Tv print about 10 years ago .

To my knowledge aside from the original Television broadcast it has only appeared on VHS as part of a special Ten To Chi To box set in 1994 .Now all we need is someone to find the 164 minute version of the film that also came in the box set .

In the meantime here is the Tv movie prequel with Eng Subtitles and it is on sale .
http://www.samuraidvd.com/servlet/the-216/HEAVEN-%26-EARTH--dsh-/Detail
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having seen this, I can say it's a 'must have' for fans of the original movie and anyone interested in Kenshin's 'pre daimyo' history. There isn't as much fighting on display and most of it is done taiga drama style rather than the plastic armor/masked Canadian samurai seen in the film, but the story elements are great.

Lemon, wasn't the 164 minute version released as 'Ten to Chi To-Heaven Version' in Japan (with the US version being the 'Earth' version) a few years ago? Or was that an even longer version? If it's the Heaven version, I have that.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Ten To Chi To Dawn (1990) Reply with quote
Tats the Heaven version runs 119 minutes ,the 164 min version was part of a 1994 3 VHS box which had the TV prequel as well as the usual Stewart Whitman version and the 164 min version .Sadly it was very limited edition in numbered editions and has never made it as far as DVD .
The original version ran almost 5 hours but Kadokawa productions reigned him in and forced him to make extensive cuts .
The Heaven version was released in Japan theatrically but did not do well at the box office, it was the International version complete with Stu and a new score by Kitaro that finally became a hit in Japan .

Sadly if our famed coke snorting pot smoking monk had not gotten beusted he would have made Sekigahara .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: