Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Nara period armor: Complete conjecture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Nara period armor: Complete conjecture? Reply with quote
Okay, so I've seen this several times. We seem to have a gap between the keiko/tanko period and the o-yoroi, and during this gap we don't have any extant armor (or enough identifiable bits, either). Thus, when people kit out members of the gate guards for Nara or Heian period dramas, the armor seems... different. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what research has (or has not) gone in to these conjectures to provide what we are seeing. For examples of what I'm talking about, here are some pictures from Heijo-kyo re-enactors that purport to be attempting to get the look of ancient Nara or Heian Japan:

20100828 301 by tatsushu, on Flickr

20100828 300 by tatsushu, on Flickr

I also am thinking of the armor that you see in the film "Onmyoji". I know that I talked to Tony a while back and he mentioned that it is conjectural and he wasn't entirely happy with it, but I'm still not sure who is doing the conjecturing or what sources they are using.

-Josh
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And you think you are going to get an answer to this question here on the SA forum? Would be nice, my fingers are crossed! I will check my armor books if I have time this weekend, but as you already can guess, it's going to be conjencture.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I am late to the party.

I am not at home right now, so the most I can offer for a source is: according to a compilation from 1982, only four examples of either helmets or body armor from the Nara Period survive.

Much is conjecture, most likely based on continental examples and typological reverse engineering from the Heian Period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: