Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Horo,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Horo, Reply with quote
Dear Sirs, I'm looking for how to dress an horo, how to keep it and so. I've seen on FOCUS-TV a dimostration about how to be saved from arrows shot!!! it's possible?
thanks
franco
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am assuming the 'original' way the horo was worn. The later horo had different types of wicker frameworks that the horo cape was placed over.

The original way the horo was worn had no framework. It was a large rectangular cloth with straps coming out of the four corners. The straps on the upper corners were tied to the shoulder straps of the armour. The straps on the lower corners were tied around the waist.

You'd have to be on a galloping horse riding against the wind for the horo to be an effective 'arrow catcher'.
magpie
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Emmanuel, you're still the best! I'm sculpting a 54mm mounted samurai and I'll try to let it fly like the wind.
franco
estcrh
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
From "Tanki Yoriaku Hi Ko Ben". Written by Hayakawa Kyuukei, 1735. Translation by Matt Garbutt, 1911. (Samurai armor and equipment manual).
http://www.pinterest.com/samuraiantiques/tanki-yoriaku-hi-ko-ben/

Josiah Condor "The history of Japanese costume" Part II:armour 1881, from:Transactions of the Asiatic Society of Japan, Volumes 9-10, Asiatic Society of Japan., 1906. http://books.google.com/books?id=6X4uAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA254&dq=costumes+of+japan+horo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UHP2ULemO4WpqgG_k4GwBg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: