Register :: Log in :: Profile   

FBI National Stolen Art File

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: FBI National Stolen Art File Reply with quote
Just came across this, and thought you might find it interesting. A bit random, but perhaps of timely interest, given the Monuments Men movie coming out.

I'm not sure what other search terms might make other objects come up, but as of right now, a search for simply the term "japan" on the FBI's National Stolen Art File comes up with seven results:

*A sword from Nobeoka, Miyazaki, from the 1220s, supposedly stolen in 1946.
*A Ryukyuan royal investiture crown and associated royal investiture robes, stolen from just outside Shuri Castle during the Battle of Okinawa (April 1945). Only one other such crown is known to survive today, and is today housed at the Naha City Museum of History, and designated a National Treasure.
*A certain set of Hiroshige's 53 Stations of the Tokaido woodblocks, labeled here as lithographs but I find that hard to believe
*a circa 1780 map of Nagasaki
*an early 20th century painting of plum blossoms by Utaka Mizushima
*a 1960 woodblock print called "stone flower - red" by Hideo Hagiwara.

Of course, the Ryukyuan objects, and their story, is of particular interest to me. But, I figured some of you might have been interested to hear about the sword.

There are quite a few great books out there, I'm sure, talking about various aspects of the FBI's stolen art squad, their sting operations, and exciting stuff like that. One that I would particularly recommend, though it has no Japan connection, is Roger Atwood's Stealing History.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: